4,467 results
All reviews the club lounge taman sari bukit bintang petronas towers raja chulan monorail station breakfast buffet is hotel lobby location is excellent pavilion mall rotana shopping kl sinks ms taxis indian asia
Reviewed 29 October 2010

5 star hotel is what it is exactly! classy, friendly smiling faces from all staff always wanting to help

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 29 October 2010

This hotel has some of the friendliest and most helpful staff I've met in KL yet.

I arrived at the hotel in the very early morning, waaaaay before check-in time. I asked for a room on the Club floor, and it wouldn't be ready until noon. The club floor was full and no one had checked out yet. Fair enough.

However, the person who checked me in was nice enough to offer me a regular room for the morning, so I could have a shower and a rest before moving to my Club room. I really appreciated this. I was dreading having to find something to do for 6 hours when all I really wanted was a shower and a nap.

Having seen the regular room, I was really glad that I'd paid the extra to have a club room. The regular rooms are on the lower floors and the one that I was given was badly in need of refurbishment. The armchair was ragged and awfully stained, the walls really needed to be repainted, the curtains looked old and sunbleached, there was a nasty iron burn in the carpet, the bathroom had water leak stains along the wall below the sinks. To be honest, it kind of reminded me of a private room in a youth hostel (but better sheets).

I was glad to be moved to my Club room later in the day. Newer, fresher decor. Carpet and curtains were in good condition. It wouldn't win any design awards, but the closet was huge, the bathroom also very big, and everything was clean, tidy, clutter free, benignly beige, a bit "no-frills" but all the basics were there (except it's worth noting that none of the rooms here have a clock in them...which I find a bit strange.)

Housekeeping was very prompt. Most mornings they'd have done my room by 11am. On a few occasions they'd already finished by the time I get back from breakfast.

The breakfast buffet downstairs is interesting and quite varied. All the usual pastries and cereals, juices, fruits etc. They also have a salad bar, selection of cold Meats and Cheeses. They have an interesting selection of hot Asian dishes as well (Indian Curries, Malaysian dishes, stirfried noodles, Miso soup, Congee etc.), They also have a hot noodle soup station - you pick your noodles and veggies and chef prepares your soup.

For more of a western breakfast selection, they have the usual hot breakfast options - sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, waffles, pancakes etc. There are also 2 omelette making stations.

If you have a club room, you also have the choice of breakfast upstairs in the club lounge. They have continental breakfast stuff out on the buffet, and you can order your hot breakfast items from the kitchen. I found them to be really accomodating - the chef whips up whatever your heart desires (so you don't have to eat soggy hot food from a baine marie). And the Club lounge coffee is better than the coffee downstairs.

The Club lounge also has free tea and coffee all day long, afternoon tea with a variety of cakes, and evening cocktails with a variety of hot and cold appetiser style snacks.

Even though I found this Hotel a bit "no frills" in terms of its decor, I really enjoyed the service. All of the staff was smiley, cheerful and very helpful. I thought the Club lounge extras were great. I also like that you can get up to your floor in the lifts without a key. Key card access lifts are a pet hate of mine. And Internet access is free in Club rooms.

The room service menu is pretty good, and they have a limited number of English language TV channels, so no complaints in this respect.

It's only a 5 minute walk to the Pavillion shopping centre, so a very convenient location.

The main thing I disliked about this hotel was the hairdryer. It was cumbersome and nearly useless.

Overall, though, my experience here was a great one. I'd stay here again. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants great service, and great extras and isn't bothered about the somewhat plain and utilitarian interior decor.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank misshoneywell
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Upgraded to 18th floor - so that set us off to a good start. Staff amazing - so friendly and helpful.
Great room. Internet avaialble with wire (supplied).
Location is perfect - near to Monorail, shopping and restaurants.
Downsides - bar is expensive. Pol table - good. Dartboard - only 2 darts! Hardly anyone using bar - maybe cheaper drinks, and happy hour may help.
Nice gym - but equipment needs servicing. Only one rowing machine (water rower) and that was unusable due to broken footstrap.
Would we stay again - yes!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My room was very clean and roomy.All hotel staff were very attentive and friendly
I traveled with a group of four other people. we ate breakfast and dinner in the Tasman Sari Brasserie.The team here were very friendly, respectfull and happy. Thanks go to
Madsa Bin Sali for his friendliness and attention to detail. The Hotel is very close to great shopping etc.I will come back again,the hotel staff are like family. This was my 1st. but
not my last visit . THANK YOU.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2010

My husband and I and our friends stayed at the Istana for 3 nights in August 2010. Did our booking on the Hotel's Website - booking-in absolutely no problem. Very friendly staff - in all departments of hotel - always ready to greet you with a big smile! Really enjoyed their breakfasts which catered for both Eastern and Western preferences, with a huge selection of dishes to choose from. Hotel was very busy whilst we were there as it was Ramadan, but service was still very good. Fantastic location, within walking distance to Bukit Bintang and the wonderful shopping malls and very close to a monorail station and plenty of restaurants in the area. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly go back there if we travel to KL in the future. Thanks Istana, we enjoyed Kuala Lumpur!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple