“Cozy environment”

Cuisines: French, Pizza, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Cosy interior, with the best Italian dishes on the list! Best service crew I would say.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Found this place after passing it a few times. Food was good in a nice atmosphere. Would return.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Where to start with this place, it’s so confusing.

OK before I start the food was very good. I have walked past Flam’s for the past several years & never see that many people in it. Last night I decided to give it a go after reading the reports on here.

Strangely enough there are only 5 comments on here, 2 excellent, 2 terrible & 1 OK. I was confused by the terrible ones that said the Pizza was bad, this is supposed to be a French restaurant & if I wanted pizza would have gone up the road to Ciccio’s. So I choose to ignore the report.

Handed a wine list and there was a good selection of wines at a reasonable price. Having decided on the wine I then looked at the menu & immediately understood why they had gone for a pizza.
There is a large selection of starters / soups etc. We had a combo plater & salmon salad starter. Both were very good. But for the main meal it was a tough choice. The first page was all French style pizza’s. ½ the next page was pasta’s. Again if I wanted Italian I would be up the road eating at Ciccio’s.

This left me a choice of either 2 styles of hamburgers or 5 other main courses, the best option being Chicken. Just then I was presented with the specials menu. Not much to choose from on here; but did have Tenderloin with Rocket salad so that’s what I went for. Partner opted for rack of lamb.

In a restaurant I like to take time, enjoy the meal & drink wine finish with Irush coffee etc, this place did not give me the feeling that I would enjoy it so ended up drinking beer. I class a restaurant with nice linen, this had paper napkins aka local pub or bar.

This sounds like I am going to moan & slate the place, but it just daft little things that happened that need not have taken place that ruined the evening.

During the starters a staff member was writing on the chalkboard promoting the fact that they were showing the Rugby world cup final. Then put his step ladder under his arm and walked straight through the restaurant. Why do this whilst they have customers. Surely this could have been done just before the restaurant opened or when it closed for the evening, but at 7.00PM 6 days before the finals. There must have been a better time to do it?

Then he proceeded to take his shoes off & stand on the table next to use putting something away. Needless to say seeing bare feet when trying to enjoy a meal is not a good combination. Still don’t know why this had to be done at the time.

Throughout the meal I was trying work out what they were aiming for. Just inside the restaurant is a montage of black & white photo’s though they are of all things American i.e Homer Simpson with a caption “Bring me Beer”. At the back opposite the bar are bench seats and tables which just reminded me of the restaurant in The Fonz “Happy Days”. I was just waiting for the jukebox to start & people coming out doing the jive.
All the time there was MTV on the TV . The staff obviously got bored of this, put on some music & turned the TV over to a sports channel.

If this is a restaurant then they should ditch the TV’s and MTV music, get proper linen. Don’t walk through the restaurant with ladders or stand on tables in bare feet and decorate it like a restaurant.
At present it just feels like a cheap American diner selling Italian food with under a French name.
To sum up the food is very good, but I can only class it as pub grub and as such it is expensive for what it is. The food is restaurant standard, and is reasonable but the place just lacks the restaurant feel. Certainly no good for a romantic meal.

Next door is a pub/disco & I am not sure if they are trying to become a pub/nightclub that offers posh nosh. In which case they should drop the prices. Or make it a restaurant & drop the pub theme. It just does not work.

Would I go again probably not only because if I wanted a romantic meal it’s not a good choice & if I wanted to go to a pub to watch sport there are plenty of other choices in the street offering cheaper meals though not at the same quality. Its so annoying because the food is very good and the street really needs another restaurant not more bars.

1  Thank LukChang
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Good food, salmon salad is a great starter and as for main: order flams, their great. Staff gave us some recommandation that was really worth it! The only thing that can bother you is the music, might be too loud. And they serve belgium beers! (Try the leffe radieuse!)

Reviewed 26 August 2011

My friends and I had dinner at this restaurant twice, with a weeks interval.
All the dishes were served out correctly, with decent size portions. The flavours were great and the steak, salmon, flam's pizza, lamb shank were all prepared excellently.
The staff was very correct and friendly in their ways.
I'll be going back there on every given opportunity.