All reviewsbamboo forestprivate onsenfree champagnehozu riverarashiyama areachampagne happy hourjapanese style suiteoutdoor tubpresidential suitetenryu ji templecafe overlookingplatinum spghead conciergefall colorsunesco world heritage siteamazing propertywagyu
Reviewed 15 April 2018

We had a beautiful Japanese style suite in this lovely hotel set in beautiful gardens beside the river. The rooms were a short distance from Reception . The paths could be difficult for disabled people especially in the dark. We arrived in the dark unfortunately having travelled from Kyoto station to Arashiyama station but on arrival found no taxis there and had to walk all the way to the hotel.
We had beautiful kimonos provided should we chose to wear them around the hotel.
Breakfast in the morning was in the main building and we found it was more suitable for Japanese people although we did manage to find some things to our liking.
We had a sandwich meal before we left in the hotel cafe at the gate of the property which overlooks the river. This time the hotel got us a taxi for our return to Kyoto.
We found reception staff and the Concierge most helpful. The latter spoke excellent English.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James C
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Kyoto at its best! Located in arashikawa, this luxurious hotels offers an amazing breakfast. We stopped by on a rainy day and were blown away by the experience overlooking a very beautiful Japanese garden. If your budget allows, stay there!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tokyocm
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Just funished staying at this hotel. Im writing this review as I wait to check out.

The property is in a beautiful location with great amenities.

Im just surprised at how inefficient slow and sloppy the check in and check out process... This is a five star $1151 hotel and we've been here at check out for 20 minutes with nobody in front or behind us.

Something to improve on.

Besides this, outstanding property and service.

Sayonara.

Stayed: April 2018
3  Thank josear294
SuiranManager, Guest Relations Manager at Suiran Luxury Collection Hotel Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Mr. Josear294

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to detail your recent stay at Suiran, a luxury hotel, Kyoto.

We are truly sorry to know that your experience encountered at your checking in and out did not live up to your expectations.
Please know we have communicated this issue to our front staff which left you underwhelmed.

We certainly hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you to our hotel in the future to restore your trust in our hotel.

We thank you once again for your feedback.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Perhaps I am too used to the south east asian style of hospitality where nothing is too big of a request and everything is done with a huge smile. Although during my other stays in Japan there seemed to be none of the 'snootiness' that was underlying some of the staff's demeanor at the Suiran. I say some of them, it was 2 in particular so by no means a universal trait. It is however to me crucial that hotel staff and any staff working in the f&b/service industry to understand that the customer is king. Now I would understand if I was asking for something unreasonable or causing a scene but not having my key card to get into an annoying internal door right next to the reception and asking if someone could open it for me does not consist of an unreasonable request imo. As does not being 15 minutes late for dinner when it had already been preordered. Anyway now I am rambling. The hotel is nice for sure, just a little stuffy and regimented. The location is great although I also found the purpose built shopping area round the corner to be tacky. Anyway to conclude this is an example of the side of Japanese resorts, restaurants and hotels that need to modernise, relax a little and smile more!

Stayed: March 2018
3  Thank AHuskyLondon
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Set alongside the peaceful Hozu river in the Arashiyama area of Kyoto this is a restful retreat from the hustle and bustle of downtown Kyoto. I am so glad we stayed here as it was an easy 10 minute walk to the Arashiyama Bamboo forest and the Tenryuji Temple which is a world heritage site. The town is charming and is upscale as compared to other areas we visited. We never felt afraid walking at night - it was just my sister and I. As a whole Japan is very, very safe. If we come back I would stay here again so that you have a retreat from the maddening crowds. Service here was excellent - we ate out mostly and only had breakfast a few times which was quite sufficient and good to get us started on our long days. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family