“Excellent food, host and decor! ”

Shishin Samurai Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 14,289 Restaurants in Kyoto
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Description: Shishin -Samurai Restaurant- Enjoy “Samurai food” and great Japanese drinks at a traditional Kyoto house. The meals that were actually loved and eaten by real the Samurais, a Katana (Samurai sword) & Samurai armor, a wonderful Japanese garden, and fluent English speaking staffs will support your one and only experience. Your Samurai story awaits you here at “Shishin”.
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I would highly recommend the 11 course samurai meal! Well worth the money! Fantastic food and the manager was just the best, a must do in Kyoto I would definitely be returning next time I’m there!

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

The theme of this place really caught our attention so we thought we’d go for a visit. The dishes were extremely well priced! I was able to get an udon and rice dish for around 1700 yen which filled me up perfectly! Unfortunately we were on a budget, otherwise we definitely would’ve got the samurai set dish, judging by the other food we ordered it would be safe to assume that the samurai set dish definitely would’ve been worth spending the extra money!
As other reviews have mentioned it is traditional Japanese seating where you sit on the floor, unfortunately I’m quite inflexible however if you move around you could find an optimal position!
Before our food came the staff came to explain some samurai history to us and talked about the replica samurai armour displayed in the restaurant, we were even able to hold a samurai sword and throwing star which was very exciting!
The manager at the time (I forgot his name but he came from America, sorry! It’s been a month since we went!) was also very friendly and ensured that all of our needs were met!
I would definitely visit this place again on my next Japan visit and hopefully have enough to indulge in the samurai set dish!

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Fantastic food and service!!!
We did not make a reservation but walked straight in to a table. (I am sure this wouldn't be the case on a Friday or Saturday night)
The setting and decor are traditional and very interesting. It was great to read the provided information to find out more about the culture of the restaurant. All the staff were full of information and stories about the background of the restaurant were very welcoming.

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant one night when we just wanted to try some sake, walking past we could see this was a traditional Japanese restaurant where you sit on the floor, we went in and immediately felt welcomed by the owner, we tried quite a few different types of sake and he is very knowledgeable about sake and the ways of the samurai, he gave us some miso and traditional samurai smacks to try for free and gave us a little history lesson which was nice! We loved the experience so much we went back the next night for the set menu. The food was amazing, we were all so full by the end and we learnt a lot about Japanese culture as we went along with each course. Would definitely recommend going here you won’t regret it!

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Honestly the best restaurant in Japan. Aside from the setting of traditional japan and samurai theme the food is fantastic. As a coeliac finding a safe meal is very difficult in japan, in particular kyoto. I have been starving for days. This place was my knight in shining armour. Pretty much their entire menu is gluten free. Appetisers, mains and desserts. I had the fried chicken with miso paste and rice. Yes you read correctly, fried! I loved my meal. They have a special gluten free soy sauce and breadcrumbs for all fried dishes. Vegetarian and vegan friends rejoice too! There is a special menu for vegetarians with a few vegan options. Vegans can even enjoy an ice cream and tiramisu. Tiramisu is not gluten free. I had the vanilla ice cream which was amazing! They also offer sake ice cream.
My friend who is not burdened with allergies really enjoyed his meal too.
The staff are very kind and attentive. In all the restaurants I’ve been to I’ve never met such lovely and genuine people. They were even kind enough to gift us with hand warmers when we were leaving as Kyotos winter is quite cold. Staff speak excellent English too. Would 100% recommend for everyone in particular fellow travelling coeliacs.

2  Thank kurisu34