“Well deserved Michelin 3-Star and impeccable hospitality! ”
Review of Chihana

Chihana
Ranked #2,956 of 15,488 Restaurants in Kyoto
Price range: US$88 - US$326
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gion
Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

The moment we stepped into the restaurant, we felt the friendly and welcoming behavior from the host. This simple restaurant makes you feel very relax. We were given a private room, and the lunch set was a total of 11-12 dishes. All the dishes were very light and refreshing to the palate. I was glad as it was a hot afternoon. The meal has lots of vegetables, and the mix of flavors and texture were never overpowering. Definitely a high quality, seasonal cuisine, that leaves you enough to eat, and yet easy on your digestion. Excellent service!

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

I came to Chihana after Ryugin and Yoshitake Sushi, the former is the best of traditional Japan food and the latter is as good as you can get for sushi and sashimi. Chihana provides a fresh air of surprise as compared to the two. Each plate or bowl of food. It is like a fresh air that comes into my stomach after having many authentic Japanese food. If you want to try something unique then Chihana is for you.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank lakaria_2000
Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

Dinner was extraordinary. But as another TA reviewer reported, the flavors are subtle and traditional--nothing highly innovative or fusion oriented. The meal began with salmon with grapefruit and ended with an amazing glass of fresh orange/apple juice. In between were many dishes, including eel, crab soup with tiny mushrooms, sashimi served with what seemed to be shaved dried mushroom, a remarkable whipped tofu, grilled swordfish and a most memorable rice dish with small cubes of dried fruits and mushrooms and covered with dill.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank 4PeterV
Reviewed 5 January 2017

After visiting a few restaurants with 1 and 2 Michelin stars we looked forward to visiting our first with 3, which Chihana has held for a number of years but afterwards we were left scratching our heads and wondering why. We were also surprised with how quickly we could book a table, well seats actually at the counter, as it’s also so small.
It should be noted though that we actually enjoyed our meal and I don’t have any major criticisms of the food, service or cleanliness etc. but it was an expensive meal for a lot of fairly simple dishes (NB: there was no menu as such, stuff just came out as and when ready). And while I don’t think there’s any doubt that the food we received was local, seasonal and fresh, the dishes lacked the exuberance and flair that you get in other Michelin-starred places. It does make me wonder if the real criteria for achieving 3 stars is actually quite basic with contenders piling on the pomp when some sautéed carrots from the chef’s garden will do? Or do the Michelin inspectors simply go through a basic checkbox exercise. Multiple different dishes? Check. Head chef in the kitchen? Check. 1 member of waiting staff to every 5 customers? Check. If I was to compare it to restaurants in Scotland where there are zero 3 star restaurants I could comfortably list 50 or perhaps even 100 restaurants where I’ve had a better meal, although this might sound degrading so I’ll re-emphasize that this is a good restaurant and I’m actually glad that we visited but if you’re looking to be blown off your feet with your first 3 Michelin star experience then this is not the place to do it. We visited Gion Namba, which is just across the main road and has 1 star, a few days later and found the food there to be superior (as others have also noted here).

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 3 January 2017

Honestly, this was probably one of the biggest culinary let downs I've ever had. We were so excited to try many michelin starred restaurants during our visit to Japan and Chihana really shocked us for how bad the experience was compared to even non michelin starred restaurants. We barely got through the dinner and didn't enjoy it at all, the dishes were unimaginative, unnecessarily fishy and not one dish stood out as something delicious. We even cut our dinner short because we just couldn't bare to sit through it anymore.
That said, the service was impeccable and the Chef and his wife extremely nice and welcoming. Unfortunately the food was almost uneatable.

Date of visit: December 2016