“Go for their breakfast”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed 11 March 2018

We read somewhere that Hyotei first gained fame by its breakfast and decided to give it a try. Price for breakfast was also a lot more reasonable than its lunch or dinner offerings. Service was polite and well paced, the garden view tranquil and beautiful. Food was artfully presented with refreshing tastes, and the portions right for a morning meal. Most delightful was the quail congee, with all parts (meat, veggie and rice)coming together in a consistency that was just right. We made our booking through our hotel concierge which was quite straightforwad. Breakfast is offered at both the main building and the annex so double check the address before you go.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We are adventuresome travelers and eat food all over the world. I can honestly say this was truly a horrible experience. It was a multi course meal with not one thing being good. The fish courses tasted old and overly fishy. The vegetables were awful. There was not one redeeming quality about this place. I don’t know who rated it from Michelin, but to give it three stars was a travesty of justice......disgusting.

Date of visit: January 2018
3  Thank Vivian242
Reviewed 19 December 2017

400 years ago, this place was founded as a tea house. And up to now, this, in my opinion, is one of the best traditional kaiseki restaurants in Kyoto.
When you come here, you seem to be carried away in time. Small traditional houses surrounded by a green garden. Wonderful service and delicious Japanese cuisine.
I want to say a big thank you to everyone who saved this place in this form!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

We were looking forward to try traditional kaiseki cuisine and stumbled upon this place that looked amazing from the photos. Unfortunately, only the photos...I don't usually write reviews, but could not forget the disappointment after having a lunch there. Would this place have not been 3*** and so hugely overpriced (27000 per person), the expectations would have been lower and the experience would have been different. The best thing about the restaurant was zen garden and private rooms adding some unique touch to the place. However the staff was very vague, our waitress didn't speak English and didn't explain any of the dishes, just dropped us a printed menu. The food was very mediocre, I'd say just like in any other (kaiseki) place..? Not even one dish was stunning as you could expect from average Japanese meal. I'll have to agree with the previous reviews that it was the worst quality/cost value for any visited restaurant ever. We could hardly believe this restaurant had 3 stars.
That being said, will not return.

Date of visit: November 2017
3  Thank vestai2015
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I have been taken in Kyoto to some pretty nice restaurants by friends but none was kaiseki. I have to confess I am no connoisseur of Japanese food (I do like a good sushi/sashimi when there is an occasion; tempura and wagyu beef I love, but these are for western pussies anyhow, who can't take the real thing). So I had the vague idea I would like to try a kaiseki in a Michelin star restaurant. The Hyotei attracted me because of the photos I have seen and because I have been in relative vicinity.
As I have been busy with other things and had to leave my schedule open I could not bind myself with a reservation. I passed first Hyotei on one evening (after something was cancelled), and they (the owner?) said they were full and stressed I should have a reservation from my hotel. (Not that I didn't know it). Being again in the vicinity just by lunch hour two days later there were only ladies. They conferred at length but I knew I was in the luck when one showed up with a type of info menu and put her finger questioning on "lunch, from 23000 Y". (Not that I didn't know). I nodded and I was admitted! Then I was led by a young lady into the garden and into one of the small "tea ceremony like sheds", had of course to take off my shoes. Happily (as I can't bend one of my knees well) there was a table with low chairs. I set comfortably through the 1.45 h lunch.
The lady opened the sliding walls and a beautiful view on the garden, brook, a small waterfall was revealed on two sides. She left without taking orders, but I came to enjoy and meditate, not rush through lunch. Another one came with the card of drinks. As I concentrated on the Japanese drinks I didn't pay attention, but I believe they in fact had no non-Japanese alcohol drinks. (I ordered the special beer for 1200 Y and enjoyed it (0.5 l). I have not been asked what I would choose for food. Then came the dishes in intervals, of which the first was quite long; but as I was enjoying the experience and had some inspirational reading I was only happy. Interestingly, the nice sheet with the menu in English only came after the first course had been served. The dishes were all beautifully prepared and served. The tastes I can only describe as "clean" and rather new for somebody who encounters this type of servings. I had the impression they do not want to please a foreign palate, but remain true to their tradition. To me everything was prepared with love for perfection; my only question (which I couldn't resolve with staff as their English was rudimentary) was whether the young green soybeans in one dish had to have some "cellulose" residue after chewing (which I left on the plate; I left nothing else throughout the meal as I was instructed to eat the grilled fish with head and tail (it was excellent).
I realized towards the end of my meal that I got company in the other room of the same shed. They were quiet, but the previous serenity was gone - I was no more alone in paradise served by pretty geishas....
And yes - I paid 24200 Y.

Date of visit: September 2017