“excellent family run restaurant”
Review of Asuka

Asuka
Ranked #279 of 15,271 Restaurants in Kyoto
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Reviewed 6 April 2018

of all the restaurants in Kyoto that I've been to this has to be my favourite. Unpretentious with great food. On this visit as part of my meal I had a miso soup that was perfectly imbued with umami it was all I could do to moan with pleasure as I drank it. Go and enjoy Kyoto cuisine at its best

1  Thank brixtontrev

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

The seemingly best Japanese restaurants specialize on one thing and seek to create it to perfection. Hence so many places sell only soba, or only pork cutlet with curry. This makes it hard for my vegetarian wife and my meat eating self to find places for the both of us. Asuka might well have figured this out for the foreigners who want some selection and variety. My pork cutlet katsudon and the weekend wife’s veggie tempura soba we’re both quite tasty. Were they perfection of their respective genre? No. Could my wife and I enjoy a quality meal without a marital spat over who would go without? You bet. Strong recommendation.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Average / low prices, GREAT quality.
Sashimi is stunning, fantastic tuna. Tempura was very good and no problems at all. Nothing bad to say, appreciate everything : i would reccommend !!!

1  Thank Marco Edward I
Reviewed 2 March 2018

Small authentic Japanese restaurant. Well described and put together meal sets. We had tempura and a sushi set for lunch and it was tasty, good value and served well. Tatami mat area for each table. If you can get a table you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Perhaps it was a language problem that led to the staff telling us that they were closed but we showed up at 5:45pm in a Friday night, could clearly see customers inside but were told that the restaurant was closed - perhaps they actually booked out but we’ll never know...