“Best Onsen I ever had in Hokkaido”

Jozankei Tsuruga Resort Spa Mori No Uta
Ranked #23 of 176 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Reviewed 12 February 2017

It is a swanky place & expect expensive rates, but I am just here for a few hours so I got the package rate for lunch and approximately 3 hours on the onsen, trust me you won't spend that long. Food was average with so many dizzying choices and the views of snow on the mountains while dining gave a teaser on the well sculpted open-air onsen with views of the snow carpeted mountains and trees drooping with more heavy snow while dipping in the hot onsen with soothing music.

Room Tip: it should be a room with a view of the Jozankei town area
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
森の謌コンシェルジェ, concierge at Jozankei Tsuruga Resort Spa Mori No Uta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Dear pakbet,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your day-trip in Jozankei.
We are so delighted by your feedback about onsen, foods, and view from the hotel.

In each season, we have different view from the hotel.
In the winter, you can enjoy the white beautiful mountains.
As in Spring, all the trees will have green leaves which is actually colorful by various green so that it is famous as a spring beautiful leaves in Jozankei.

If you have another chance to come visit Jozankei, I will recommend you to visit us in different season so that you can enjoy different view from last time you saw.

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback here.
We look forwrd to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 5 January 2017

We're staying at the hotel right now and felt the need to leave a review because we are astounded by the standard of service.

Front desk insist on speaking in mandarin to us although we keep communicating to them in English. We have a Chinese name but are mainly English speakers, we found it very inconsiderate for them to presume that we know mandarin even when we keep asking questions in English.

Secondly, there were no instructions on how this hotel worked. The front desk person who led us to our room only opened the room door and let us in, we would think that the whole point of showing us to our room was to explain how the room and onsen procedures worked. We had no idea that we needed to bring our room towel to the onsen as every onsen hotel we stayed at provided towels inside. There was also no instructions on the towel situation inside the onsen, we only realised after we had taken clothes off and walked back to the retrieve the towel.

We wanted to get a drink at the bar but was put off by the bartender's rudeness. We wanted to take a couple of photos before sitting down but the bartender said no photos bluntly with an annoyed expression (there was no sign that no photo is allowed and we've never stayed at a hotel that did not allow photos in public places). We sat down and looked through the menu, the bartender walks to us and asked if we wanted drinks. We said we needed more time and he responded with 'what?' with a super annoyed expression and we repeated our reply. He stormed off without acknowledging us.

Having traveled to Japan dozens of times this is the first time we encounted bad service. For a hotel at this price range, or simply in any hospitality industry, it is simply unacceptable.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank mjib
森の謌コンシェルジェ, concierge at Jozankei Tsuruga Resort Spa Mori No Uta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Dear mjib,

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and frustration with us and we are sincerely aporogize that you overall stay was not perfect most due to the staff service.

What you mentioned was what we really think it needs to be improved.
In fact, the current situation of our service is not enough range with this price range as you saw.
Therefore, we take your feedback very seriously, and we really would like to use it to improve our services.
We are having more foreign customers year by year, and there is a need to prepare for those guests. We sincerely appreciate you sharing every detail, and we are reviewing those one by one.

If you have another chance to come to Hokkaido, please contact us.
If you do not mind to stay a night here, we would like to invite you to our hotel to see how it changes.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to evaluate our service once again.
And thank you very much again for sharing your experiences.

We hope you will give us an opportunity to provide the exceptional service when you return to stay with us.

Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

Probably the best service in Hokkaido
Personal service by Sou to see to our every needs, including coming back on his off day to ensure the taxi arrived on time to pick us up, shocked us. Seriously good service, very helpful and very warm. The hotel staff was above average but he stood out in leaps and bound.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank NA N
森の謌コンシェルジェ, Concierge at Jozankei Tsuruga Resort Spa Mori No Uta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Dear NA N,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel!

I will be sure to pass this lovely feedback to Mr. Sou.

It is always fulfilling to hear that our efforts are noticed.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future again!

Reviewed 15 December 2016

I loved my time here. It was a pricey stay but worth it.

I took the bus in from the Sapporo bus terminal, which was a bit of a trial despite some English instructions. The hotel has a shuttle bus but it goes to a different train station that wasn't convenient for me.

Once I got to the hotel, I felt very welcomed. They showed me around the resort and introduced me to the facilities and my room. It was a huge room - I was on the top floor (7th) and had a decent view of the area. A quibble: The windows have Venetian blinds that can't be raised. There's also a massage chair and a whole range of beauty products for you to use.

The onsen is pretty big. On the men's side, there are a big and small tub indoors and a big and small tub outdoors. It was lovely being outside while it was snowing. There are also plenty of shower/dressing room facilities there.

Dinner and breakfast came with the room and they were magnificent. A huge selection of great food - I sat at dinner for 1.5 hours just so I could digest and have more. Oink.

All in all, a wonderful, very relaxing stay for me.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Lawson T

Dear Lawson T,

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your stay!

I am glad to know everything about how you enjoyed at our hotel.

Jozankei is the part of the city that has heavy snow as you saw.
The best part of this season is taking a hot spring outside and feels the cold wind on your face.

The buffet here is really a wide selection with Japanese, Chinese and Western style food, and we are so happy that you enjoyed it.

We hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you again next time you visit Hokkaido!

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

We booked a one night stay on 15 nov.

We took the hotel free shuttle coach at makomanai station, it was only 5 minute walk. When you come out of makomanai exit (there is only one exit) you only need to cross the road in front and it is next to the junior school( with lots of green fences). You will see other resort coaches parked along the road. The free shuttle was on time and the ride was a pleasant hour ride .

The hotel is located at a small hill with forests view ;lots of pine trees. It is a modern-deco hotel with zen style. There is a carpeted raised platform with a reading area and a fireplace in the center of the lobby;check in desk,a gift shop and a restaurant is on the left; hotspring entrance and a small bar is on the right. There is a mandarin speaking staff although I spoke English but he responded in Chinese (I am a Chinese from Singapore).

No footwear on every hotel room floor, slippers are provided outside the lift and you need to keep your shoes in the provided locker. Room is spacious and clean, we booked a triple western bed room and the 3rd person was provided with a thin mattress in the living room area. I am very impressed with the toiletries provided;cleanser,make up base lotion,cleansing foam,lotion,after shave lotion,toothbrush etc. We loved the personal massage chair in the room!There is a Nespresso coffee machine provided.

There is room wear provided but we think it is ugly as it looks like Cleaners uniform and the Colour is a horrible green? With grey vest! It's a top and pants style and not the nice yukata that you usually see in other resorts. You can wear this to every part of the hotel including the restaurants.

Buffet breakfast and dinner is included in the room rate but it is not cheap at JPY 55000 per night for 3 person, the buffet spread has western and Japanese selection and varieties was adequate but if you are from Singapore like me I would say the dinner selection is unlike our 4 or 5 star selection. There is very little sashimi selection only prawns and some fish and squid, extra fee are charged for free flow of wine,sparkling wine and sake. I was disappointed with the wine and sparkling as it was really sweet and i preferred dry for both type of wines. However You can order better selection of wines from their wine list.

The hotel lobby has a free harp performance a few times daily from around 4pm (except Tuesday is keyboard performance). There are free DIY toasted marshmallow at the fireplace in the lobby from 8pm while you are listening to the free performance. No footwear at the Fireplace area so you can cuddle up while enjoying the performance. It was not crowded during our visit and there were less than 10 person at the fireplace.

The resort also provide free lunch and Hot spring package to day tripper from 11am to 3pm, since we check in at 3pm so the hotspring was exclusively for hotel guest use only. There are 2 large/1 small indoor hotspring and 2 outdoor hotspring. The temperature are all bearable and not too hot for me. I had the outdoor hot spring mostly to myself as it was snowing and most ladies were using the indoor pool.

Lockers and individual shower area are provided (open concept come with a stool and shower gel/shampoo/conditioner).
There are also many individual dressing table with hairdryer and cleanser,lotion,cotton pad etc provided.

There are a sitting area and a vending machine outside the hot spring waiting area and there is also a corner for you to choose different type of pillows.

The hotel provide a walking map (1 or 2 hour) if you wish to visit a few other spots. As it was snowing during my visit so I didn't walk too far from the hotel as the weather was too cold. There are a few small family restaurant at the Main Street and we had lunch at one of them as most of the others are closed. It was cheap and they only have the fish set but we enjoyed the family meal. We also walked 15 minutes to the other street with some other hotels and tourists shops.

There is a family mart right outside the hotel which is a few minutes walk.

Overall I recommend this hotel for a 1 or 2 night stay as jozankei is one of the nearest onsen area to Sapporo. But the room rate is not cheap which is JPY55,000 per room for 3 person so I expect better quality of food for the buffet dinner. I already knew this hotel is more expensive than the other older hotels but this hotel is new and modern and not crowded during my visit. I also chose jozankei instead of noboribetsu due to the convenience access.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Icerosetea
morinouta, Concierge at Jozankei Tsuruga Resort Spa Mori No Uta, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2017

Dear Icerosetea,

Thank you for taking your time to sharing the every details of your stay at Mori no uta.
We are glad you enjoyed the snow view and room facilities, but we are sincerely apologize that your overall stay was not perfect at some points.

Your feedback takes us to review our entire service in the hotel.

We are having more foreign guests year by year, and we really would like to welcome them with well prepared, so that we take your feedback very seriously because it allows us to valuate our service.

We appreciate your time to sharing this review and look forward to you back again next time!