“You may consider this hotel only if the room rate is low”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Tokeidai

Hotel Tokeidai
Ranked #154 of 163 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“You may consider this hotel only if the room rate is low”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Good: Friendly staff

Drawback: No elevator from street level to lobby (2nd level)

==================================

Room stayed: Single (western style)

Hotel located a bit far from JR station, but still within walking distance. The building is not obvious, but still easy to find based on the map.

Lobby is located on the 2nd floor. No elevator access from the streel level to lobby. So I had to carry the luggage and climb up the stairs. Quite inconvenient. Didn't really smelly anything at the lobby during my stay as what described by traveller silvermoss28. Maybe they had improved on it

Only one front desk staff is working for each shift. They don' speak English but can understand some simple English. They are very friendly. They help me to fill up my water bottle instead of asking me to drink tap water.

I was asked to make payment during check-in (this is not the only hotel that requests payment during check-in though). The staff did ask if I want to get the receipt after payment or during check-out. I chose to get it right after payment. The staff started to tell me something in Japanese. Spent some time to guess what she intended to tell me because I don't understand Japanese. Finally understood that I need to sign and write the amount paid on the receipit copy for hotel if I want to get my receipt 1st.

The room is okay except that the wooden wardrobe is quite lousy. No safe provided in the room, and you are requested to drop your key at the front desk when you are out of the hotel. So I suggest you to bring all valuable stuff with you although I think it is quite safe.

Didn't smell anything in the room as well, maybe because my room is at higher floor (7th). I was informed that Wi-Fi is available at the lobby only. However free Wi-Fi spot can be detected in my room.

As summary, this hotel is still acceptable if you just need a place to sleep and if the room rate is low (I didn't book the room through their website. The amount I paid were 2750yen for normal rate and 3200 yen for weekend rate, without meal). Definitely I will not recommend if the room rate you get is what they stated on their website because you can get better hotel with the same pricing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank etherchia

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Being a budget hotel I really wasn't expecting much, but my low expectations didn't prepare me enough for the stay!

The hotel is situated above a Pachinko Parlour, and the lobby reeks of cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke, deep-fryer oil and other nasty smells invade into the room via the central ventilation system and made me quite ill (I ended up sleeping with the windows open, which was not ideal since it was -12oC outside!!). Staff only speaks Japanese. I know intermediate Japanese but found one staff member in particular very dismissive and wouldn't give me the time of day. This same staff member also demanded payment upfront but said they didn't issue receipts until check-out, which I thought highly unreasonable and argued long and hard against. In the end she reluctantly wrote me a paper invoice, and signed it "paid".

Room furnishings was not only very old (ie. if I found it in my house I would have chucked it away) but was stained and looked grotty. Floor under the bed looks like it had never seen a vacuum cleaner.

In summary: the hotel is priced like a backpackers but I have stayed in several backpackers in my life and they were all much, much better than this place! I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank silvermoss28

Travellers are raving about these Sapporo hotels