US$65
Priceline
US$342
US$287
Sofitel
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Stayed here with friends for 2 nights. The hotel is lovely, bright, clean and modern and all the staff very friendly and willing to help. We had breakfast in the hotel and there was a great selection at a very reasonable cost. Our room was very big, the only downside was that we had no wifi in the room.
The location was good, we walked to the city wall and did the whole 10 mile wall on bikes which was great fun. There are also lots of eating places around and markets to explore close by.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alibri1968
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This hotel is within the city wall but still about a 20-30 minute walk to the main tourist attractions. However, cabs are cheap ad if you have someone write your destination down for you in Chinese you can get anywhere quite quickly and reasonably priced.
It is in many way a typical international hotel of western standard - big beds (but hard), internet, hair dryer, mini-bar..
I was disappointed that the advertised gym had late hours in the morning and was not open in the evening when I wanted to use it.
I traveled with a group and we all got smoking rooms although all requested non-smoking. The smell of cigarette smoke even comes out of the air vent which is not very nice.
The breakfast is dismal for westerners. Few choices of bread, no cheese, one type of jam. Really nothing special at all. Overall it appears that money is tight in this hotel. They were very skimpy with the toilet paper (in all rooms) and they even charged you for a small paper city map when you asked for directions.
You can have a safe, clean and ok stay here, but I am pretty sure you can find something closer to town for the same price or less.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Our room was very large and the bed massive, but it was probably the hardest bed I have ever encountered in a hotel. The air conditioning was not effective. The breakfast was bad even by bland buffet standards with the “hot” food even less hot than usual and little other choice. You can get freshly prepared omelettes etc if you are prepared to wait, and like as much oil as egg.

One annoying detail is that when it came to paying my bill using a credit card I was in effect forced to pay in sterling using the hotel’s bank’s rate of exchange (instead of paying in local currency with my home bank doing the conversion) – which as usual was more expensive. My attempts to explain that I wanted to be charged in local currency fell on deaf ears, and in order to pay I had to sign a credit card receipt that said “I declare that I have been offered a choice of payment currencies and my choice is final” – which was not true. I did not experience this in any other hotel, shop etc in China.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PercyVeerance
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The hotel is situated close to the city wall, but is easily accessible from the central area by taxi or tuk-tuk. The lobby and dining area are impressive, and the room was comfortable enough. However, if you are a non-smoker, you need to be careful. We don't smoke, and were initially booked into an 8th floor room that stunk of stale cigarettes. After complaining, the reception staff were very helpful, and moved us down a floor to a better room. We discovered later that the only non-smoking floor, apparently, is the 4th floor, but we can't comment on if this rule is adhered to. I don't know if it's because it has the name "gentleman" in its title, but we came across a lot of smokers in all the hotel public areas as well (mostly men). The rooms have free internet via ethernet cable only, but you can get free wi-fi in the lobby and 3rd floor restaurant.

Room Tip: Try the 4th floor for non-smokers
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We had an occasion to stay in the hotel for a night on 20th May as a part of our group tour.We found it very clean, pleasant and comfortable for stay. Lobby is spacious.Restaurant is good and caters for variety of tastes with a good spread. The bathrooms are neat and clean with modern fittings. No complaint on the facilities provided.What seriously lacks is the attitude and friendly approach towards
the guests.During check out,at least 3 of our group tourists faced an embarrassing situation when the housekeeping reported to the reception about missing small napkins from the rooms. We had to go back to the respective rooms to show that the napkins were lying in the rooms only.Experience was unpleasant and not forgettable. We have recommended to the tour operator to avoid this hotel for stay,despite its good facilities

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family