“Fawlty Towers revisited.”

Rosedale Hotel & Suites
Ranked #85 of 3,562 Hotels in Guangzhou
Reviewed 26 December 2016

I have waited almost a week to write this review to ensure much of the residual emotion has dissipated (at least to a marginally objective level). We were booked into this hotel for 4 nights so I could attend a conference and an associated field trip. Our first experience was that the hotel had only booked us in for 3 nights. The reception staff argued this was correct despite the explicit contents of our itinerary, our guides itinerary and - eventually - their own records! We were ushered off to a room on, what discovered, was a smoking floor. I don't know what was worse, the residual odour of the tobacco or the smell of the air freshener - it was gagging. In fact, the air freshener smell is everywhere - it is very unpleasant. We asked to be moved to another room ( as well as the smell the carpet was dirty and worn) which did not occur until the next day. The new room smelled better although the bed was a hard as a rock and, again, the carpet needs to be replaced. There was a hole in the wall in the corridor with white cable coming out. Breakfast was quite the experience - there was quite a bit of food but it always looked like it had been sitting for a while. Even toast and jam was an adventure and the coffee was not the best either.
As I had to prepare for the conference we ordered meals from the hotel so I didn't have to go too far. We ordered dinner one night and it didn't come for an hour. We called and still it didn't come. Finally, after another hour and several phone calls to room service and reception, we were brought (I kid you not) a mug of warm milk. The language barrier was an issue but we eventually managed to understand that "there was no money". We went to reception and discovered that they had been deducting from the security deposit (paid by credit card) and, as the authorised sum had been used up, we could not get any more food! Sorry, I travel internationally all the time and have done for many years. I have NEVER experienced anything like this. We had to pay additional monies on our security deposit before we could eat (it was very late by then or we just would have gone out).
The next day I had to print my paper - at a cost of over 1400 yuan. The young woman in the business centre was one of the few (only) positive experiences from our time at the Rosedale. Thinking I had better pay straight away after the previous night's experience, I went to Reception. The manager from the previous night was there and, when he saw me coming, tried to scurry out the back! The poor girl left on reception could not understand any English at all so he had to come back. It was really silly. Anyway, I could go on...and on...but we were just glad to leave. Even that didn't go smoothly as I was accused of stealing the hairdryer! I told the manager I had not used the hairdryer and it became a bit unpleasant. Finally the hairdryer was found in the room - obviously it had been there the whole time as I had not touched it - and we could leave. It was dreadful and, to my mind, quite outrageous to accuse a guest at Reception of theft. In a nutshell, this was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. I usually take the view that if you cannot say something positive say nothing but this was too awful to keep quiet about. Suffice to say we were very, very disappointed with our accommodation, the lack of customer service and the rudeness of most of the staff we enountered. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank Eileen W

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

This hotel was not that bad it was fine however i would recommend checking hotel in front of this hotel, try Vertical City. There's a metro station under the hotel, few food selection nearby. There's a famour restaurant called Guangzhou Restaurant in front of the hotel in sunning plaza.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank tjiang2409
Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

This is the worst Hotel I have Ever stayed in. The rooms are stinky, no facilities at all. I am here for fair visit and the Hotel says that they doesn't have iron and ironing board which I thought should have been present in the Almira.

When I asked the house keeping, they said that the few that they have were already been taken by other guests, they cannot arrange for us. I even asked them to iron my clothes, they refused. I asked them to arrange in an hour, but they refused.

This is hopeless! How am I going to go to the fair with shabby un-ironed clothes?

It's a big Hotel and this is the response ....sorry.

I would NOT advise any business group to stay here.

We have room on 23rd floor and you cannot see anything...why? The windows are dirty and filthy from outside...they don't clean.

Skip this Hotel if you don't wanna spoil your trip.

Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

Stayed for one night. OK but not likely to be your first choice.

Room decoration was outdated: looked like what was on offer in the late 1980s. I was upgraded to a suite but this didn't help to make it a more pleasant stay.

Bathroom was OK and because of the upgrade, the room was of very good size.

Breakfast was acceptable.

Shops and restaurants nearby but they are not those you find in Tianhe.

One big plus is that it's a stone's throw from the subway station. Easy to travel on the subway to get to the hotel from Guangzhou East Station. Given the difficulties in getting taxi in the rush hours, thus is important. Otherwise, this hotel has very little to attract me to return. Was put there by my host. They covered the expenses and thus I don't know the room rates.

Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

This hotel is good location in area. It's near metro(changgang) mc local food and other. the room is big have a most area and good. But breakfast is no enough for service. If you late in the morning it's end.