“New girl at the door??”
Review of El Asador

El Asador
Ranked #2,181 of 15,741 Restaurants in Moscow
Price range: US$23 - US$38
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Zamoskvorechye
Description: Restaurant-sidreria El Asador offers authentic spanish and basque cuisine. Spanish wooden oven, grilled meat, fish and seafood, 10 varieties of cider, wide selection of fine spanish wines, tapas and pintxos bar.
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

During my stay in Moscow for the world cup me and my friend discovered El Asador by coincedence. The food is really great and we had a server that spoke very good English and delivered top service. We went back several times like maybe 6 or 7 and the service was always good.

Today that changed dramaticly. I was not with my friend and would like to have dinner at 5pm, but no single spot was available. Probably because of the world cup match Russia played against Spain. But the place is huge and all the time we came there was always plenty of space.

I wanted to eat early because I had two appointments in the evening. Still I would like to eat at this place today and decided to book a table as late as possible. The kitchen closes at 23:30 so I got a table for 23:00.

Arriving on 23:00 the girl at the door, that I never had seen before during my previous visits, told me the restaurant (upstairs) was closed. This is the same girl I spoke to on the phone when making a late reservation!! Why didn’t she told me that in the first place?? And besides that, at one if our earlier visits we left like 00:30 from the restaurant and that wasn’t a problem at all.

She could only offer me a place outside or in the bar. But I don’t like to sit outside late at night because of the musquitoes and the bar menu is different compared to the restaurant menu.

Maybe the girl at the door is new but she can’t deliver the standard that we received during our previous visits. We always recognized the great service by giving a far more than average tip to the servers but this way of handeling force me to search for another restaurant.

Semyon N, Управляющий at El Asador, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Hello

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our restaurant, food and service this is very much appreciated. And thank you for sharing your opinion.

On the 1st of July it was a very big match Russia - Spain and we needed some time to clean up the hall upstairs. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Next time, in the bar you can order whatever you want from the restaurant menu.

Thank you and please comne again.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

The place looks good from outside and you get a warm and sincere welcome when entering.

I sat at the bar, still could have access to the restaurant menu on request.

The beer, La Estrella unfiltered is good. I asked for the wine list and got a glass of an acceptable red wine as I intended to.

My “ensalda mixta” was ok despite it did not had all ingredients listed in the menu (e.g asparagus)
The roasted milk goat was more boiled than roasted. Still soft under the bite with a regretted crunch from the golden roasting I was expecting.

Finally, I feel I paid too much for what I had.
Worth another trial?
I so not know yet!

Semyon N, Управляющий at El Asador, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Dear Sir

Thank you for coming and leaving your opinion.

First of all I would like to answer your question: yes, please come and give our food a second chance. Maybe you just picked the dishes that are not for you. We pride ourselves on our grilled and roasted meats. Milk goat is slow-cooked on very low temperature. It is our sleciality and this is how we roast it. But if you want more crunchy meat I highly recommend our ribeye steak.

“Ensalada mixta” salad should have asparagus, I am investigating why it wasn’t served.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

This restaurant actually offers high quality Spanish dishes, and a nice atmosphere, not easy to find something like this outside Spain.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

We've been few times in this restaurant. Little bit pricey, but food quality is great, service is awesome and you can try variety of ciders... My favorite is dry or semi-dry apple or pear! Baked Camembert cheese is a must to try. few of my favorite dishes are: duck leg, steak fillet and goat ribs. And if still will have room for deserts - CHEESE Ice cream is just fabulous!!!

Reviewed 18 January 2017

"El Asador" in spanish means "The Grill"... normally of meats, and that requires firewood or at least charcoal, and here there are no grill. You must cook your meat fair ammount in a burning stone plate.They serve the meat directly on the burning stone and this implies that you have not completely control in the cooking point of. It would be desirable that the meat be served on a separate dish, not directly on the stone. The baked side dishes are very good. Simple but sufficient wine list.

Semyon N, Генеральный директор at El Asador, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Dear Valldemar

I am very surprised to hear that you say that we don't have a grill. You must have had your meal downstairs in the bar, because that's the only way you couldn't have seen our big wood oven (horno de leña) and Josper charcoal grill that are located in the restaurant zone on the second floor..
As to how we serve meat on the stone, we usually serve it on a separate plate and give our clients the possibility to cook it themselves, but sometimes waiters are asked for help with cooking it. I would like to apologise for this misunderstanding.