“Not Bad but a couple of drawbacks”

Holiday Inn Moscow-Tagansky
Ranked #48 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Friendly staff, good business hotel, nice rooms and good breakfast. Location isn't the best, internet both wireless and cable is slow and room service (food/drink) has a surcharge of 250 rubles (nearly 10 dollars) which I never have experienced before. Not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jason193
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Moscow-Tagansky, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Jason193,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stay at this hotel all the time since 2010, because it is relative near to my office. It's good place to stay, especially compared to other hotels in Moscow I have stayed in.
Because I'm priority club member I always receive room upgrade to executive, which is pretty spacious, with bathrobe, nice towels, scales and you can take 2 bottles of water and 2 chocolates free from minibar every day. My corporate tarif includes free 1Mb internet, otherwise you receive 128 Kb free or you have to pay price of 800 RUB for 512 Kb/day.
Breakfast is OK, when there is nothing like huge group of chinese tourists staying at the hotel at the same time. Otherwise breakfast area is really crowded.
Check in and out is fast, especially if you ask to make a payment and give you a invoice immediately by check in.
There is also a small fitness room, including mostly cardio equipment.
Subway station is very close, there are some places to eat around, also a church and a cloister and a small park with a pond nearby. If someone finds the area depressive, that's just because you are in Russia. It's definitely not the worst place in Moscow.

I can't really complain anything seriously, just one thing - LAN cable provided at the reception is not long enough to seat or lay on the bad with your laptop, so i have to take my own 5 m cable with me :) Minibar is not every time filled with water and chokolate ) but in this case I just call room service. Service at the reception is very dependent on person you contact, new employees could for example just ignore your priority club status, not offering room upgrade without any apology. Otherwise staff is very helpful.

OverallI think you will be satisfied with this hotel.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are fine. suites are large with a small kitchen, but i would prefer executive.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank yafrana
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My Moscow office is around the corner from this hotel, so I pretty well have no option but to stay here when I visit, which is now approaching double figures. It's a perfectly adequate business hotel, with no home comforts to speak of, but does the job. So what can I say about the place that really hasn't been said before in other reviews:-

I'm a Priority Club Gold Card holder and have ALWAYS been upgraded upon request to a better room.

The "business centre" is ONE computer screen in the lobby area and a chair on casters which is impossible to keep still on the highly polished marble floor.

It's a shame the security guys on either of the exits of the hotel don't open the door for you. Instead they stand here with their arms crossed looking unhelpful, and pulling the door every now might give them a bit of exercise.

Every time I visit there's a nice letter from the Manager offering me a glass of wine/beer on the house, which is a nice touch. However one evening, having accumulated 8 such letters over a period of 18 months, I went up to the bar (with a work colleague) and asked for a bottle of house red (a surprisingly drinkable Spanish number). And the barlady told me that I couldn't have the bottle but would have to take 8 seperate glasses. I explained to her that this is exactly what I wanted: two glasses poured now, leaving the rest in the bottle, and that we would take another two glasses in due course, and then another two, or until such tme as the bottle was finished, Hardly rocket science. But oh no. We had to take ALL eight glasses there and then, poured into 8 seperate glasses, and lined up on the bar. We tried to reason with the barstaff that what she was doing was "unconventional", but no, the letters said "glass" of wine not "bottle". We tried again, "eight letters, eight glasses equals one bottle..............................", but the penny never dropped. How very Russian, doing things according to the literal instruction and not being able to think for yourself. I blame 70 years of Soviet doctrine. Anyhow to finish the story, I gave the lady the letters AND 200 roubles, and all of a sudden, no problem, the message got through, and my colleague and I enjoyed our bottle of wine, drinking it in the traditional manner, glass by glass, from the bottle, one at a time. Communism and captalism working in perfect harmony.

Room Tip: North facing, 4th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Moscow-Tagansky, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear Putneyspice,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome. We appreciate the feedback that we receive as this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Holiday Inn Somonovsky is good for what it is built for.
The rooms are ok, the beds are cosy.

That I disliked:
- Minibar was not restocked - but that can happen
- Room-Service - the people had difficulties understanding the order. The Cheeseburger was not among the best I have had.
- Breakfast: Holiday Inn Style - as everywhere in the world. The "egg and omlet" station is right in the middle of the buffet, and this leads to a little bit of a smell. Also the price is not really justified.
- Hotel Bar: Closes at 1 am - we would have liked to stay, but no more drinks.
- Check-Out Proicedure - I still have to see a quick check-out in a moscow hotel ;-)

All those things are miniskule. The Holiday Inn has good bed´s is central and decently priced.

I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Familie_Welchering
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Big warm rooms with dolby speakers, decent food, friendly and helpful stuff - and they do speak english (!!!), location sucks - totally dark and depressing, bed is split in 2 singles and i just hate when they do it, bathroom smells like gasoline, and do hear out my dearest advice - bring along your shower slippers!! I believe they're not familiar with the advantages of using bleach, so the micro organisms in the bathtub are in their "happily ever after" stage.. Also, when you flush the bowl - step aside, it has to spit a few drops on your shoes.. Don't eat sushi at the metro station unless you're a bulimic sadomasochist. The hotel buffet is a bit expensive but the food is pretty good. They make a wonderful espresso at the bar (apparently Finnish - didn't know that about Finland).. What else.. Don't go there unless you have to...

Room Tip: If you don't smoke - make you sure you tell them way ahead!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business