“I won’t write Opa!”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Cyma has many locations, and Trip Advisor makes it very hard to differentiate which location one is reviewing. Some reviewer pictures are not of this location. There can be big differences from one to another, even if the menu and recipes are the same. This review is only about the location in Greenbelt 2, Makati.

I found Cyma quite by accident in 2013, while a friend and I were looking for a nice place for late lunch. I saw Greek and thought: “That’s interesting to find in the Philippines!”

For years, one had to walk through a huge cloud of cigarette and cigar smoke to get to this area of restaurants. New smoking laws now forbid smoking in Greenbelt Park, except for two small areas. One of those areas can still be smelled from Cyma’s outdoor tables, but nothing as bad as in the past. The bigger concerns at the outdoor tables are heat, humidity, and the super loud noise of nightclubs nearby. The main room has a mezzanine over half of the space. I suggest you avoid that. Wait for a table on the main floor.

The background music should be Greek, not the same horrible boom, boom, boom that is common in other restaurants in the Philippines. Fortunately, it was not too loud, or I would not have returned. I now count 25 visits since that first time, five of those since the beginning of 2018.

My first favorable impression, after the nice greeting by the very friendly, and very efficient staff, was that they have brewed, unsweetened, (sugar, simple syrup, or honey on request) iced tea, not just the powdered Aspartame junk that most places serve. They now also have some Turkish beers (Greek not being available in the Philippines) and a local craft brew made and bottled only for Cyma restaurants. They also have wines, by the glass or bottle, at very reasonable prices. It is unfortunate that in five years, the Greek wine listed on the wine list has never been available, and is now of the menu.

Since my first time there, there is a new menu with enticing pictures. The servers know all the items, and know the correct Greek pronunciation. When I could not decide between two main courses, my waiter suggested that one of those could be had as a side dish.

Other sides that I highly recommend are cauliflower rice, which looks like a bowl of rice and fools Filipinos when they first see it, and cauliflower with caramelized tomatoes. The french fries, served with cumin mayonnaise, are something else to try.

The sampler platter of five cold mezedes is wonderful, but I suggest that you order one, or even two, extra portions of the pita.

Saganaki (flaming cheese) is a nice show, properly flamed by the staff shouting “Opa!”, but the cheese is not correct. The traditional cheese is not available in the Philippines, and is impossible to import. It is fun to try with someone who has never had it before.

Although so many vegetables are grown in Luzon, salads are very hard to find in the Philippines. Cyma takes creative salads to a new level. The Solo size is already huge and enough for three to share as a salad course. All the portions are huge. If sharing a pasta, I again suggest the solo size. I’m a big eater, but one pork chop is enough.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank MikRiano

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

We like the salads on their menu. There are few places where one can order a nice, crisp, fresh salad for sharing. The sharing portion is plenty to share as a meal for a couple. We don’t need more. Mostly, keep coming back for their Roca Salad.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

We had the lamb ribs. My favorite and prepared perfectly. My wife loves the selection of salads; always fresh. Large menu so many yummy things to try. Overall a great place for lunch or dinner.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 10 January 2018

We ordered seafood paella negra, higest price on the menu. Waiter said we have run out of scallops and asked if he can replace with squid. I said OK. When order came, I said there is no squid. Waiter goes back to kitchen and asks. Cook said he already added squid in there. I looked and tasted but no squid. Manager asked if all OK and I said cook is dishonest because there is absolutely no squid but he says there is squid. Manager offered to return disk to kitchen and I said no. I know better than to quarrel with cooks. Manager came back with a small plate of fried squid.

1. I dislike the dishonesty.
2. The paella negra was swimming in oil.
3. Prices are now on the high side.

First 2 visits were great, but this will be my last.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 2 January 2018

We've eaten here a number of times and never had a meal we didn't love. A great menu of Greek and Middle Eastern cuisine. Our young son always eats a great meal here on the fresh pitas, while we've had a number of very yummy, very unique (especially in Manila) dishes. Good attentive service, comfortable, casual atmosphere.

Date of visit: July 2017