“The Worst Customer Service in Makati - Disgraceful in Fact!”

Makati Palace Hotel
Ranked #72 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Wow where so I begin........

I checked in on Saturday 22nd July and checked out on the Saturday 22nd July - thats right I checked out on the same day I checked in.

Have you seen the television sidcom Fawlty Towers?? Well the hotel in Fawlty Towers is 6 star when it comes to customer service compared to Makati Palce.

Now let me share with with you my experience........

I checked in and requested a non smoking room but was told that would be an extra 1,000 pesos. I was then asked for a 2,000 peso deposit which is standard practice for hotels in Manila (Ill come back to this point).

Upon checking into my room it smelt terrible - I am a non smoker. I then went to have a hot shower and after running the water for 10mins there was still no hot water. I then went to get a cold drink from the mini bar - but there was no drinks in the mini bar you needed to ring reception.

I then thought I would order some room service and guess what ? No menu. I had to ring reception who said they would bring one up. Two phone calls later after 20mins had passed I finally got the room service menu. To say it was a disappointment would be an understatement.

As my room started to heat up and resemble a sauna I asked for someone to come and check the air conditioner. Two phone calls later and no response I had had enough and decided to check out.

Now this is the best part of the story so readers make sure you sit down!

I go to checkout and ask for my deposit back. I have a room service bill for two drinks which I ask to be deducted from deposit. I am told they have no smaller change and the concierge will need to go to the shop to get smaller notes. I explain I am in a rush and have a driver waiting so I would appreciate it if they can be quick. The concierge comes back and says he cant find a shop with smaller notes. To speed the process up I say use my credit card.

After processing the credit card payment (mind you 15 mins has gone by now) I am told I am right to go. No apologies for the room, lack of air con, no hot water and how long the whole checkout process took. In the taxi leaving I realise despite everything I did not get my deposit back!!!!

I then contact the hotel who say yes we have it, still no apology, and you can come back and get it. Problem is I have booked a flight to cebu ( i brought my trip forward one day after my experience at this hotel) and am on my way to the airport. Rather then let the hotel reservation supervisor keep the deposit i let them know my taxi driver will come back and get it for me and he will give back to me when I return to Makati in September. He did get the deposit back, then disappeared of the grid which is to be expected.

So my taxi ride to the airport ended up costing me 2,200 peso - most expensive taxi in manila.

What amazed me the most, is despite everything there was no apology. The reservation supervisor needs to be given more training in customer service and told to smile more - afterall it's free and can make a big impression on guests!

Now for my tip - and i encourage you all to take it on board.

Across the road from Makati Palace is the Best Western Oxford. Similar price, mini bar, room service menu, good customer service, air conditioning and hot water. They also give you back your deposit on checkout - my recommendation stay there!

Now like to think I am a fair person, so I would like to lay down a challenge to hotel management to rectify the above. I am prepared to come back and stay again and give it a second chance providing some kind of apology is offered and an assurance the above was a one off. I think that's fair and if this happens, and indeed the service improves, I will be prepared to update my trip advisor review.

That all said, I wont be holding my breath for a response.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Mathew R

Reviewed 15 July 2017

I went on a stay here in the past week due to the celebration of the debut of someone close to me. The hotel's facilities and food we're so-so. It was pretty average, and not that noteworthy, except for one elevator that was problematic. I was stuck whilst using such, and it proved to be a nuisance to fellow guests. It was utterly disappointing that the administration did not put any sort of warning or barrier to inform the guests.

However, the room I stayed in had some glow into it, since I've had the novelty of not staying in a hotel for more than two years. It felt rather refreshing when I had seen such a nicely made bed, a rare sight for me in the comfort for my home.

Also, I'm happy that the hotel offers fast and free hotel-wide wifi amidst its' mediocrity!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2017

So I read many of these reviews before my business visit to Makati and therefore my expectation was not so high but nonetheless my office set my travel arrangements up for me for this hotel.

I just returned a few days ago, sufficient time to provide a balanced and objective review of this hotel. Actually spent 16 days in Makati and so the whole time I called this hotel my home.

Had an upgraded non-smoking room on the 6th floor. Room was located at the corner and so if I opened the window I could look down on Burgos Street action, if you can call it that. The cost was 3,200 pesos and with the promotion breakfast included.

Let me get the obvious white elephant out of the way - yes Burgos street and hence the hotel sits at the center of the area with neighboring girl bars and street activity at night, so if your the self righteous type and closed minded/shielded to real life this may not be the hotel for you. The doormen do a great job checking outside "guests" into the hotel quietly and securely insuring a good safe hotel for everyone.

The room was clean and must give a shout out to the cleaning lad who serviced my room daily, took directions and instructions well and listened to my comments what I needed and when I wanted the room cleaned and so forth. Very pleased with the room service.

Only downside, but let me remind everyone that the hotel is in the Philippines which is located in a sub-tropical climate, is that yes I found 3 roaches in my room over the course of 16 days. Lets keep this real, welcome to the tropics.

The breakfast buffet is good and the staff service, always with a smile and great attitude to service you, made up for any perceived lack of choices at the buffet.

Know that wifi is spotty at best. I did have the hotels IT guy come to my room and check it out a few times but ended up relying on my Verizon hot spot from my cell phone.

The pool at the top floor is nice and clean, not used often so not so many people but a great way to relax and cool down during the day. I did check out the exercise room and although nice enough did not use it but rather took a few early morning 2 hour power walks through the city.

The front desk staff were very accommodating for all of my needs both at check in and check out. The Cafe Cubana across the street served good food and a nice place to have a cold beer and relax with people watching as it can get very interesting after sunset.

I give 4 stars only because the hotel could use some updating but I found that the attitude of the hotel staff and associated hotel doormen and kitchen/dining room attendants deserve a 5 star.

With all the above being said I would recommend the hotel and yes I will return and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Location is the middle of makatis red light area. It has all the modern conveniences . service is ok. The main dining area it's clean with a buffet breakfast included and the staff seem to know how to deal with discretion easily and with a smile.cafe bar expensive much better places outside the front door.its $70/100us .this area has the bars discos guys n gals etc

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2017

probably the worst hotel i ever stay !! no way I will go back to that hotel ! not the best location for families or business trips !! i got the most shocking experience of my life !! go away from there !! very dirt and full of bugs !!!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo