“Cool nights in the mountains”
Review of Boquete

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
league City
21 helpful votes
“Cool nights in the mountains”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We have spent the last week in Boquete, Panama and I can truly say, it has been one of the best places I have ever visited. They say it is "The city of flowers" and for good reason. From atop the towering mountains, you can look down into the small but bustling town. You see every color in existence, flowers, brightly painted houses and buildings, red roof tops and lush , green countryside. Boquete seems to have something to offer for anyone and everyone. Great live music at Craig Jacobs, Las Ruinas Restaurant (great food as well), a gourmet cooking class with Cora Kent, an adventurous drive in the surrounding mountains or just relaxing along the riverside watching one of the many species of birds. There are many nice accomodations from upscale hotels or condos to many available cabinas scattered all around Boquete.

There are also many restaurants that offer any and every type of food. You can eat at one of the many local Panamanian places where the food is tasty and very inexpensive or you can dine at one of the many other places and find anything from Mexican food to a crepe restaraunt, seafood, a big, juicy steak, or eat the absolute best wood roasted chicken at Tami's you will ever try.

If you are a coffee fan like I am, you need to go to Cafe Ruiz and sample their fresh roasted, locally grown coffee. They will also set you up a tour of one of the many coffee plantations in the area where you can experience the entire process. You will find yourself leaving with several bags of fresh coffee which they blend and roast themselves. It makes a great gift to bring home for friends, family or yourself as well.

On the eastern side of Boquete, there lies a beautiful flower garden that is open to the general public. It is one of the most aromatic and beautiful places I have been in my life. It is very well maintained and you will see every flower and exotic plant that exists in Panama. There are many species of Hummingbirds buzzing around drinking the sweet nectar of the many flowers. The smell is phenomonal!

I think everyone who gets the opportunity to experience Boquete will be as happy as the fortunate people who get to live there everyday. It is a place you want to stay forever, a slice of Heaven on Earth. Don't forget your camera. It is an experience you will cherish for the rest of your life.

4 Thank FalconEddy6
Canada
3 helpful votes
“Boquete”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I visited the city of Boquete in Panama and it was absolutely wonderful! It must have been the best vacation I had ever taken. The people are very warm and welcoming, the food is delicious, the parties are fun and there are so many activities to do. Whether it's learning Spanish at the amazing school of Habla Ya, booking exciting trips like hiking, mountain climbing, horseback riding, coffee tours and much more with the Explora Ya Center, Boquete has so much to offer, it is impossible to get tired of it. Breathtaking mountain views and beautiful weather await you. It has been more than three months since I've been there, and I can still remember every single moment. I love Boquete

3 Thank Karen K
Orlando, Florida
67 helpful votes
“Wonderful but set realistic expectations”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We love Boquete. We have visited multiple times and have just completed a stay. I wanted to share what I feel is a bit of an unrealistic expectation for first time visitors. An interesting conversation with a fellow traveler we met this trip spurs me to write this review.

All of the beauty and kindness that is reported regarding Boquete, and Panama in general, is fair and true. The geography can be breathtaking. The climate is yours for the choosing (unless you want to snow ski!) and the relaxation and eco-possibilities are endless. Panamanian food is, by and large, very reasonable in price. Boquete itself can run about $3.00 per person for a wonderful, typical breakfast and/or lunch (don't expect ooooh's and ahhhhh's since the food is generally very good but a bit bland by most comps); $10 for a very good dinner and if you wanted to eat at one of the finest Panamonte Inn) in town, a dinner for 4 will run about $100 total, including a nice glass of wine each.

Accommodations are varied and can run from hostel rates up to $300 a night. We personally love the Boquete Garden Inn and it's name speaks it reality.

Here is where I need to sound a bit negative but i do not mean it that way at all. The town of Boquete, the downtown central business district, is NOT Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills! It is NOT the thriving, fast paced, hotbed of love, music, food and life that is Panama City. It is NOT House Hunters International snips of lush, pristine, manicured lawns. The town itself, the town center, is NOT a quaint Italian Tuscan village. It is NOT a Spanish park. It is NOT a little Alpine village of Switzerland. It is, quite simply, the town of Boquete. It is a small village town. It has poverty. It has a very mixed pot of small shops, stores, real estate offices, a church and construction, along with some actual homes in the middle of it all. The traffic is pretty congested for a small town. The buses all spew diesel fumes. Pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way. People walk where they want to walk. They park where they want to park. Once in a while a child will potty where they need to potty. The crazy thing is, it all works. There is not threat or unsafe feelings. Quite contrary. It is a walking town. The people go about their business....locals, the native Panamanian "Indian" families, tourists and animals alike! I love it. That was my expectation on my first trip. We have been blessed to travel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd world countries and kind of knew that House Hunters was a TV show. Oh, don't get me wrong.....beautiful homes exist in the Boquete area fit for the wealty. There are some that are being worked on. There are some that need work. Get the picture?

In closing, our fellow traveler said "When I first arrived in town my heart sank. I wondered what in the heck made this hole in the wall rank in the Top 10 International Living places to retire and live in. Then after a week, I stared to see. I changed my expectations and now I see where this grows on you every day." With that, I leave you with a wish that you have the opportunity to visit this slice of beauty on earth and experience the fine folks of Panama in general. I bet you can't just go once............

8 Thank Hansboomer
Boston, MA
30 helpful votes
“Boquete Outdoor Adventures is great!”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Boquete Outdoor Adventures is a friendly, helpful, and interesting bunch. We originally signed up for a 1-day Beach trip but were able to switch last minute to a set of trips that included: a tour of the Cloud Forest, lunch, a coffee Plantation tour, and a secondary hike in the forest. The guide was very engaging and knowledgeable. He spoke good English, had lots of energy, and enjoyed sharing his nature with others. I would not recommend the coffee plantation tour though. Boquete Outdoor Adventures have several options in the area. Definitely try them out!

1 Thank vickifried
potomac
11 helpful votes
“very restful but exciting!”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

wonderful place to feel at home. Beautiful scenery with the volcano and clouds in the background. not too many tourists but a number of expats live here and start tours or accomodations. Probably 3 days here would be good enough. with options for water rafting ( highly recommended), hiking, and birdwatching.

Wonderful restaurants! try the Rock and Manchu Picchu!

1 Thank adventurer59_10

Been to Boquete? Share your experiences!