All reviews bumpy track sahara suite outdoor cinema dogs and cats hire car perfect holiday other guests beautiful pool roof terrace minute drive an oasis three course meal special place every evening perfect hosts main building heated pool
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a wonderful 3-night stay at Riad Baoussala and could not recommend this accommodation enough. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, the entire experience was fantastic. Riad Baoussala is situated at the end of an extremely long, bumpy dirt track, but the moment you enter the grounds, the Riad is a tranquil haven in the most beautiful environment. Each room/suite is individually decorated with different colour schemes – we saw another room in addition to ours, and both had so much character and felt truly authentic. My only concern with our room (the Red Room), was that some of the plug sockets were quite loose on the wall, which worried me from a safety point of view using international adapters, etc. The grounds are large and picturesque, full of exotic plants and lots of seating areas in shaded spots. The swimming pool is of a good size and is heated to an ambient temperature all year round which is perfect for slightly cooler mornings. The kitchen/central courtyard is the heart of the Riad where the meals and drinks are served and the staff cook up wonderful food in the kitchen. We were served a traditional Moroccan breakfast every morning with fruit, freshly squeezed orange juice, bread, pancakes and tasty homemade yoghurt. There are a good selection of meals served around the swimming pool (pasta, salads, burgers, etc.) at lunch time, all of those we tried were very good. We ate our (3 course) evening meal at the Riad on 2 occasions and both times the food was simple, authentic and very tasty. It was reassuring to know that we could find delicious home cooked Moroccan food in our own accommodation, which is not usually the case with hotels! We were served a pumpkin soup that was so amazing, I managed to bring the recipe home with me! There is a small team of staff who keep the Riad ticking over and everyone was warm, kind and welcoming. It feels like a small family and I hear that most of the team have been there for many years, which I would argue is a testament to the type of place it is to both work and stay!

The location of the Riad is around a 15 minute drive from the centre of Essaouira which may not be ideal for those who are looking to walk everywhere. However, there is a readily available taxi service which the Riad will arrange for you to and from Essaouira which we used twice and found it very easy. This may become expensive if you are looking to explore every day, and therefore it may be beneficial to hire a car. However, if you’re happy to spend a few days simply relaxing on site, with the occasional trip to Essaouira, then the location is perfect. The pictures on the website do not do justice to how beautiful this Riad is, and I would recommend it to both couples and families. My partner and I cannot wait to return!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Have just returned from my four nights at Riad Baoussala, I feel rested, refreshed and rejuvenated. Even though my stay was quite short I felt like I’d stay there much longer. Riad Baoussala is like being invited into a good friend’s home. The staff (Leah, Rashid, Loubna, Simon, thee lovely lady who does the treatments whose name I have forgotten, sorry, the two lovely sisters who do the breakfast and housekeeping, the gardener, the taxi drivers) are kind, goodhearted and ever so welcoming. I stayed in the Blue suite one night and three nights in the Sahara. Each room is decorated differently which is one of the loveliest things about this place so each guest has a truly unique experience.

I had all my meals there. The breakfast is homey and comforting, starting with great coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice and eggs made to order. Each day there is a different type of pastry, one day I had a home-made pain au chocolat! The lunch is by the pool with the options of a variety of salads or small but limited menu of hot food. The goat’s cheese salad or the burger are my recommendations. The burger has to be one of the best I’ve ever tasted. The crepes are a great indulgence as well. There is a great value three course meal every night and the portions are huge. The tagines are sublime! Credit to Loubna , the amazing chef!

I did have a manicure with a lovely lady who does the massages and treatments and would definitely recommend you booking something when you stay.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I have some mobility issues so getting around is not particularly easy for me but the staff arranged for a taxi to take me into Essaouira (which is 15 mins away) where I was then met by Leah on her day off, who showed me around. Would also recommend visiting Leah and her husband’s shop when you’re in town as it has some unique, ethically sourced, locally made items and very different to what the other shops are selling.

I also want to thank the guests that were there. Everyone was incredibly open and friendly which made the time spent there incredibly special.

I love to travel and always looking for the next place to visit and very rarely go back but my experience at Riad Baoussala was truly unique that I look forward to returning again soon!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank PDA74
Reviewed 9 October 2017

We had the best holiday at Baoussala. I traveled alone with my 4 year old, and she had such a good time exploring the riad, finding turtles, playing with Loco the dog, the cats and playing in the pool. Everything was wonderful, from food, room and the service. The staff treat you like family member.

We will definitely return in a near future!

All the best,
Sine

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Serene, thoughtful, and considerate. Those are the three words I would use to describe the Riad Baoussala. Serene in its nature, this place just has good feng shui. There are thoughtful touches throughout the entire riad to make your stay comfortable and welcoming. I loved the personalised art everywhere, I love the artists studio where I ended up taking an impromptu nap. The roof terrace seems made just for mornings to greet the sun and look at the stars, although my stay was overcast in the evenings, I imagine, there’s some fantastic stargazing there. I didn’t leave the riad for the entire four days I was there nor did I find the need to. Breakfast was a sumptuous affair... the pool was warm and perfect…and there were books and reading nooks everywhere! Dominique and her staff have gone out of her way to create an oasis that is simply put, perfect for the consideration of their guests needs.

I really felt like I had come upon an impromptu family I didn’t know I had, waiting in the desert to see that I was warm, fed, and happy.

There’s more I could mention, such as waking up to birdsong or light filtering into my room through gauzy curtains. But ultimately, I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect stay.

Many thanks Dominique, Rashid, and Leah.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
dominiquebaoussala, Directeur général at Riad Baoussala, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Eva,
Your poetic words about Baoussala and your experience are so peasant to read, thank you! I remember you in the kitchen, asking Loubna for some recipes, you understood completely our way of life, our way of receiving people, you could feel part of a family, or in a friends's house ! Hope to see you again lovely Eva,
All the best
L& D

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from a two week family holiday to Riad Baoussala with our 3 year old twins. We absolutely loved everything about this hotel!! After a short airport transfer we were welcomed on the first day by lovely Leah and her gorgeous dog and given a tour of the property and grounds. We were nagged incessantly about the swimming pool by our children until we gave in and all had a wonderful first afternoon in the water and enjoying a delicious lunch in the shade. Our room was lovely (Hamman suite) with plenty of room for our things and a generous bathroom. That evening we met Dominique the owner, and her gorgeous dog Loko. Dominique showed us some of the other rooms, which were all stunning, but my favourite is the cabin in the trees! The whole property is stunning, a large pool, countless places to sit and relax in the sun or shade and plenty of comfy sunloungers. Dominique is a wonderful host with amazing taste! Our children loved running around, going on tortoise hunts or just sitting quietly painting in the garden.The lunch menu is delicious and luckily includes easier food for fussy toddlers. We had dinner on site every night that was fresh and delicious and prepared lovingly by Lubna and her team. I'm not sure if it was their usual practice but Lubna cooked a lighter version of dinner every evening just for our girls before their bedtime. Nothing was too much trouble! Particular mention to Rashid and Simon who serve all the meals and drinks and are both charming and gentle, and all the gardeners and cleaners who keep everything looking so wonderful.
The hotel has local drivers who can be called within half an hour to drive you into town and even wait for you while you shop. Yes the hotel is on a rough road but the cars and drivers are more than up to the task. Essaouira and Sidi Khaoki are each about 20 minutes drive away. Both have stunning beaches, shallow water for paddling and camel rides. We never ever felt hassled. Essaouira medina is enchanting for shopping and the whole town oozes a relaxed charm. There are a couple of local supermarkets and a pharmacy nearby for extras and an amazing basket shop on the road to town.
While we were there we visited a few other local hotels but we never found anywhere with the same charm and atmosphere as Riad Baousala - it's a very very special place and we highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear Sally,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is really clear and detailed and i am sure that it will help the futur travelers ! All is said, nothing to add ! Hope to see you again soon with your lovely family, we wish you the best ! L&D