“No atmosphere, terrible food”
Review of Le Chrysalis

Le Chrysalis
Ranked #193 of 270 Restaurants in Essaouira
Price range: US$12 - US$57
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Essaouira has a new place to be, the Chrysalis, restaurant, cocktail bar and tapas bar, sports coverage on big screens and live rock and pop rock music scene every night. The ideal location of Chrysalis and ambitious programming make this place a new obligatory passage in Essaouira. At Bab Sbaâ, along Medina, facing the beach and adjacent parking, everything is perfect for your evenings take place at Chrysalis. Menu refined international, staff speaking English, French, Arabic and Berber, the quality of events, music and sports programming offered create a festive atmosphere full of charm, multicultural, like Essaouira.
Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

We went here for dinner and some drinks. The food was bland and pretty awful. There was no atmosphere at this time and I was alarmed to see the metal detector that had been erected at the door on our way out...presumably to ensure safety during the unsavoury late night hours here. I'm pleased we made a sharp exit!

Reviewed 6 April 2015

I visited Le Chrysalis 3 times during my stay in Essaouira and all 3 experiences exceeded my expectations.

My first visit was in the evening, around 11pm, for a glass of wine after having just spent 3 hours on the bus. The atmosphere was nice, it was starting to fill with people and the staff were very friendly. I had a nice glass of wine and some complimentary olives, nuts, and other snacks and then a band arrived for some live music. The musicians are very talented and sang popular songs in several languages. As a single female traveler, I felt that the staff and security were very good about making sure I felt safe and comfortable and overall - the experience was great.

My second trip to Le Chrysalis was for dinner and WOW - the food is amazing! I had a lovely dinner of grilled fish and vegetables with saffron rice and a nice sauce - all perfectly cooked and well-presented. The dessert was a chocolate cake with fruit - very good as well and freshly baked to order. I would best describe the menu as French-Moroccan fusion, but I think anyone would enjoy the food here. And of course, when in Essaouira, you need to eat the fish because its so fresh!

My 3rd experience was the following night for the soirée chic - which is a weekly party that starts around midnight with a music theme (this time it was salsa) and lots of live music and dancing. It was a nice mix of locals and tourists - many different cultures and I met a lot of cool people. Good place to dance, great live music, and plenty of space for a large crowd.

Overall - great experiences across the board. The staff are nice and professional, management is great, fantastic food, nice atmosphere, and a great space for events. I'll definitely return on my next trip to Essaouira.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

drugs dealers, full of prostitutes, bad service cheating on price, violence... not nice for couples will get abuse, of course not for the family, i will never go back thats for sure

3  Thank Hamza a
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Insufficient security, my girlfriend was molested here. The men and women toilet is in the same room!!!!!!!! Terrible place

2  Thank RawIce1980
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This is a fairly recent arrival on the Essaouira resto scene and from its appearance and location (in the party area ouside the old medina) we had expected it to be another tourist trap. Certainly theres nothing Moroccan about it... the interior could be London or Barcelona or Dublin. But actually the food was pretty good (a tasty soup with fresh baked bread, a tender piece of beef, some well prepared vegs, and a delicious desert). It was quiet when we were there for lunch but the dining area is organized around a stage with elaborate light and sound equipment so it is probably very lively at night when the music gets going. Full bar, with rather expensive cocktails for Morocco.

2  Thank jasminebaraka