“wonderful place, i'll come back again”

Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vabbinfaru
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This is the first time, i spent my holidays in maldives.
At first, i thought that would be a place that just full of sun\sea\sand, and maybe i could sleep/relax/read...
But, at Vabbinfaru, i feel like home.
Not only the people there were kind and nice, that made me who could just speak poor english feel comfortable.
I learn snorkeling and diving here. the nice coach Alii were very patient. follow the guide, i feel good and safe.
I love sea, love fishes, love maldives, love banyan tree!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

A TripAdvisor Member
Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We spent 5 nights in this resort and the service is excellent!
All staffs are well trained and always assisted customers with heart and smile!
The food is very good too though there is one restaurant on the island.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I'm comparing this to our other trip (to bora bora) seeing that they're both on "idyllic" islands and is similarly priced. I choose this resort thinking (hoping) that it would be similar to our bora bora stay PLUS it's "all inclusive" (they do not mention that drinks are not included). The food was borderline edible. Every meal I had to figure out why they didn't just hire me to cook instead. Fish=dried out cardboard, chicken=dried out cardboard, beef=dried out cardboard, their premixed salads=something my lawnmower leaves behind. The only plus would be the desserts and fruits (although it's nothing special that I couldn't get from my home town). So even though it's kinda all inclusive I'd rather I have to pay for food that's atleast decent and edible. Service at eating area was good but elsewhere mediocre. We probably got the worst beachfront hut on the island (#47) as they were doing construction beside us (that's our luck I guess). Asking for a room change was just a waste of our breaths as they just blew us off. So we bared with it. Even though we had workers from the construction walking through our hut=No Privacy (vs. Bora bora you had absolute privacy). And sawing/hammering sounds throughout the afternoon=Not Enjoyable. Rooms and room service was clean and tidy.
The ocean water is very choppy, if you're not careful the waves will push you into corals (vs. Bora bora the lagoons were pricelessly peaceful and snorkeling was a joy). Ocean was also filled with "men of war" jelly type fish (I really had badluck onthis trip, I got stung twice the two times I tried snorkeling there, so I didn't go back in the ocean again). So to sum up, I wish I had spent my money more wisely and went to Bora Bora.

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank 1grl
BTGroup, Manager at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2011

Dear 1grl,

First and foremost, please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent visit to Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru and taking the time for raising your concerns about the deficiencies of our food and our services which did not meet with your expectations as well as our own.

We have shared your gracious comments with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Teams on the cleanliness and tidiness of your villa.

Please accept my unreserved apologies for the dissatisfaction you had experienced during your meals and the disturbance you encountered from some maintenance work that had occurred during your stay with us. Please rest assured that I have addressed these issues with the appropriate Leaders so that corrective measures are taken to avoid any re-occurrence of such situations. We thank you for your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that we constantly strive to improve our services and facilities.

My apologies for the shortfalls in the service you received. I hope that this incident will not deter you from giving us another chance to improve our service and that you will give us the opportunity in the near future to welcome you back to the Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru.

Albert Ocasio
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We recently spent our honeymoon here and couldn't have wished for more. It's paradise! Villa was luxurious and comfortable; food was varied, creative and delicious; staff are incredibly friendly and attentive; facilities fantastic; the sea and snorkeling awesome.

I was interested to read the 1-star reviews here and found the comments in them, generally, utterly laughable!

Can't recommend this island highly enough!

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank gregorg79
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My friend and I arrived for a 5 days vacation. We were impressed with the staff, especially the dive centre. We were glad we had Hamidh, our dive guide who was very patient, friendly and professional in his work. The dive boat team were humours people too, we enjoyed ourselves so much, we were diving almost everyday, save for the day we arrived and the last day we leave. Hami, we were told is actually from Angasana Ihurure. He restored our confidence in diving as we had a bad experience before elsewhere, so much so that we had already made plans for our dives next year. For beginners with less than 15 dives, he is a god send. We still have fond memories of him even now!! Our favourite dive guide!

On our last day, we had a bad experience while snorkelling on the house reef in Angsana Ihuru. Due to strong wind and big waves, we were cut on the corals. It happened because we lost one fin from the resort and had to retrieve it. The waves push us against the corals and we ended up having both legs badly bleeding with cuts and abrasions. In the struggle to balance, I lost the plastic mouth piece of my snorkel set. There was no time to think or panic. Choking on sea water and trying to breath, I was lucky to get to shore. Even now, I get palpitations just to think of what might have gone wrong. I might not even be here to write this.

It was our own fault and we did not blamed anyone we need to make some claims against our travel insurance. For lost equipment and injury. Besides that, we had a big problem with my laptop that is not working which has had no problem prior. We requested for a letter to proof to our travel company that we were travelling and staying on the resort.

First, the front desk person, Washeed did not even offer any word of concern or if I need any medication as I even showed him my cuts. though I explained what I had gone through. Then the manager in charge, refused to entertain us and claimed our laptop was under warranty. If it was, why would I had bothered in the first place. After my explanation, he went away to talk to his manager again. When he did not returned, as by this time, we were sitting around at the bar waiting for our transfer, we went to checked with him again.

He then gave us a letter, penned with obvious hints of our "supposed" claims and that the resort had had no choice but to support those claims. We were merely asking for a simple proof of being there, as is the required standard procedure for travel insurance. The resort is not liable for any of our lost or claims. I had never ever had any problem from any resort around the world from 3*to 5*. It took closed to 6 hours going back and forth and by then it is already 10pm and time to transfer to the airport.

By this time, we really had enough! The night duty manager, Ali tried to re-write the letter again. I asked him why it was so difficult to give a simple letter and his reply was that he had never done anything like this before. Such a lame excuse from someone of his position for travel insurance is a very common issue in this era.

I had taken pictures of my cuts and have since seen a doctor to make my own claims. I was told by doc that my legs were infected and it was a good thing I had gone to consult him. The cuts had turned sceptic and itched badly. My legs looked ghastly!

Banyan Tree is very good in their day to day service, but come to think of it, so is lots of other similar resorts in the maldives. But they don't care about their guests safety and obviously can't handle crisis. Not only are they not sympathetic towards my trauma, they are just so afraid I will give them more problems. This is no way to treat guests!

We will never recommend Banyan Tree or related. Having spent tons of money to have a good holiday, we want to leave with good memories. But nothing prepared us to stomach management attitude of this sort - we are like poison! And the last thing, we never expect it from Banyan Tree!

Room Tip: Staff has zero adversity quotient
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
31  Thank bestteo

Dear bestteo,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, we are pleased to read and have shared your gracious comments to Hami and our Dive Centre team. It was great to read that during your diving experience with them, they had the ability to restore your confidence in diving once again.

Please accept my unreserved apologies for the disappointment you have experienced during the last day of your trip. We continuously strive to improve our product and services based on feedback such as yours. There are no acceptable excuses I can offer with the shortfalls in the service you experienced with regards to the handing of your situation by our Front Office associates. These concerns have been raised to our Front Office Leaders for them to look into ways of eliminating such incidents from occurring again.

Once again, thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I certainly do hope that despite these, you had a relaxing stay at our resort and enjoyed the diving at our sister property, Angsana Ihuru. We also hope to have the honor of welcoming you to Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience.

Sincerely Yours,

Albert Ocasio
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vabbinfaru
14.8 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
8.7 km away
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos

Been to Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru? Share your experiences!