“Large over rated Hilton”

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rangali Island
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Having been to the Maldives 5 times previously and having stayed at both the one and only's ( just one now ) and also having stayed at both four seasons and Landaa Giravaru in total of 3 times we opted for a change.
The positives about Conrad is that it is a large resort spread over 3 islands with 1 being for staff and if that is what you are looking for then this is perfect. Also it has many restaurants but they all appear mainly catered for Chinese guests.

Thats pretty much the positives I can think about. The staff are hit and miss where some are very engaging and others just are doing it as a job. We were looking forward to a change from Landaa but with hindsight we made a mistake. We stayed at the beach villa and as they are joined next to each other you can hear the neighbours and whilst thats not a problem in day time but in the evenings and mornings that becomes a problem. People from certain large Asian countries feel that if they shout at the top of their vocal cords that is a form of communication and as a result we were moved from the villa to a quieter villa. The villas themselves are well laid out but as people have pointed out, very little at the conrad is complimentary. You get Tea and Coffee, Snorkelling gear and no fruit or anything else. They will even charge you for coconuts juice when you are on the beach just as you think they are coming to give you something complimentary.
We opted for the half board option which meant dinner was at the Atol market and if you opted to eat elsewhere you got given $75 per person contribution and given that the mains on average cost $50 plus their obligatory 23% there goes the $75. I have never come across that before. There is variety in the Atol Mkt but buffet after a while becomes boring. We ordered sparkling water and every night the waiters would ask whether we wanted Peligrino or Vos and never told us that we could get the conrads own sparking water till much later in the week. In addition we kept being told their was a Maldivian evening buffet at $250 which we steered well clear off.
Breakfast was at either Villu or Atol mkt, Vilu is the quieter and in my view nicer restaurant on the quiet island but doesn't have a huge selection. Atol mkt has a better selection but is somewhat noisier with many children. The quality of the food isn't great given what they are charging. We chose not to visit the undersea restaurant as I can go to the aquarium in London for better value. The quality of the food was at best average and at time just plain bad. A special mention for Mahesh who always asked if we wanted something and he would be prepared to make it for us. The waiters would often forget orders and I had to ask them on a daily basis to clear the plates away.
As someone mentioned its a good resort if you haven't seen other resorts in the Maldives and also good for photo shots but it has no soul. There is no real atmosphere. It would probably suit families who have young children. Turn down service was sporadic and they wouldn't clean clothes lying around and for a hotel supposedly of this calibre this Should be automatic.
The coral has been bleached in the last year but is recovering but the hotel doesn't tell guests not to trample on the coral. We saw many guests who were standing in low ride on coral as they probably hasn't snorkelled before. The life guard would be seen occasionally but he seemed far too busy playing with his phone. Its a shame that the hotel cares more about maximising what it can get out of guest then protecting coral.
We had requested upon arrival a late check out as our flight was late in the evening. The night before leaving we got a note with our bill and also a request to check out by midday so we had to wonder around for most of the day without a room. We were told we could use all other facilities and use the gyms shower, how thoughtful. We were offered the usage of the conrads lounge at Male on the way out for a fee which I declined as I had had enough of the hotel. They don't charge for the lounge on way in but once they have taken your money on way out they don't much care.
Given the number of new resorts opening and already opened in the Maldives, in would advise finding an alternatives. Paying for service is not an issue and Maldives is not cheap but when you are charged for poor service and viewed as someone to be maximised, that's when you draw a line
I suspect the hotel would offer a piffy response to this review but at no stage did we meet management as we have done with other resorts we have stayed.
One to avoid.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank SFRLondon
ConradRangali, General Manager at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear SFRLondon,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

We at Conrad Maldives are so lucky to have such a beautiful resort and island to call home, so we pride ourselves in our efforts to match the beauty of the location with attentive service and high quality offerings, which I am sorry you felt you did not experience during your stay.

I am especially disappointed to hear your experience at the resort left a bad impression of our team members. The team at Conrad Maldives consists of over 600 members from 23 different nationalities and they all are incredibly passionate about their work and providing the best service to our guests. I'm sorry that you felt some of our team members could have been a little more sincere, so I will certainly be following up with this to ensure that our high levels of service are constantly maintained.

I am also sorry to hear you couldn't enjoy your villa due to noise from other guests, however I am glad our team was able to move you to a quieter location on the island. With 8 restaurant and four bars, Rangali Island hosts one of the largest food and beverage offerings in the Maldives, therefore I am disappointed to hear your tastes were not catered for.

Please also know, that if a request had been made to meet a manager, the hotel leadership team always look at this as a priority.

I thank you for your comments regarding our prices, so we shall continue to try to offer the very best value that we can, without compromising on the quality of our products or services.

Please know that your feedback is highly valued by us so I thank you once again for providing it.

There are newer reviews for Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

The Conrad Maldives is as good as it gets. We stayed in a watervilla and a beach villa. They are both exceptional in terms of lay out and comfort. The level of service is extraordinary. They even provide goggle lenses at the dive centre. What really struck us is the level of quality of the food. We had dinner in 5 of many restaurants and each time it was a sheer delight. Breakfast also is amazing. Mr. Gaetano Tufaro the food and beverage manager deserves a special word of praise. He really takes care of his guests and is highly visable. If you are thinking of visiting the Maldives this is the place to go.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jeroen h
ConradRangali, General Manager at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear jeroen,

Thank you for choosing Rangali Island and for your kind words posted on TripAdvisor.

I'm thrilled that you were able to so fully relax and enjoy your recent holiday here with us in paradise. Of course I am also delighted that you noticed the friendly, genuine smiles of our team members and that they were able to make your stay so enjoyable.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and I certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Loved The Conrad Rangali and totally enjoyed our stay early August 2017. Service was excellent and there was always a very relaxing and positive atmosphere everywhere. Weather was fabulous too! Stayed in water villa which was good, loved the Nespresso machine and the huge walk-in shower, big bath tub too. The deck is simple and needs to be made a but more plush but otherwise all was superb. Good snorkelling too on the house reef even though corals have been damaged it is still good but you need to swim a bit further out that's all. Enjoyed all the restaurants and bars and of course had a great evening at the Ithaa undersea restaurant. Stayed 5 days felt like 3 weeks ! Perfect !

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank GloriaBdB

Dear Gloria,

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We travelled as a group of 2 families (with kids) in July, and we probably couldn't ask for a better resort than Conrad Maldives. We absolutely enjoyed our trip and there were already various discussions about going back in the near future.

Transfers from Male airport to their lounge then onto seaplane were flawless, very well managed and we were well looked after. The lounge was a great way to start appreciating the Conrad experience, and a 30-mins seaplane gets you to the resort where one can really indulge in 'no shoes, no news' for the whole duration of your stay.

We were received by the hotel manager and his team, and were introduced to our personal guest services agent for our stay. I must admit that we struggled to get hold of our guest services agent a few times when we wanted to book excursions and restaurant reservations, for us this isn't a problem as we worked around by ringing concierge to sort those out instead (this could be seen as a negative for some people who expect 24/7 on tap service support)

Kids club was fantastic - one of the best we've seen. The staff were genuinely passionate about making the kids' days/stay as memorable as possible, and they have a great activity schedule to keep the kids entertained. Can't rate the kids club highly enough, nothing was too much and they can accommodate adhoc requests.

we were spoilt for food and drinks choices. We spent most of our trip at Rangali Bar, Vilu and Sunset Grill - all great food, service were brilliant and kids entertained.

We stayed at the beach villa, and I would think no other beach villas in Maldives will come close to the size of Conrad's beach villas. They were huge, easily fit our family of four and easy access to beach/reef. You can also request buggy on demand to go to restaurants etc. (We did this to travel between Mandhoo and Vilu for afternoon tea and cocktail drinks - having Hilton Gold/diamond status during your stay does go a long way!)

The hard products at Conrad are second to none, they use quality products and certainly you felt that quality was the top priority here (e.g. Mares snorkels, masks, fins, toiletries, kids club merchandise, even kids cutleries!).

Excursions were a bit more expensive compared to other resorts (understandable due to Conrad) but I'd like to point out that the team were really knowledgeable and helpful - they sorted us a good deal on excursions and activities.

In all, we really enjoyed our time at Conrad and one of our best holidays thus far. We will be planning to go back!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank AlvY123
ConradRangali, General Manager at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Alvy,

I'm thrilled that you and the entire family were able to so fully relax and enjoy your recent holiday here with us in paradise. Of course I am also delighted that you noticed the friendly, genuine smiles of our team members and that they were able to make your stay so enjoyable.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

This was our second stay at the hotel - the first time was five years ago for our honeymoon and this was for our fifth anniversary. We had an amazing time five years ago and I thought about booking another resort but ultimately decided to go with Conrad again and wow, they reset our gold standard. We stayed in an overwater villa again (#330 - great location) as we love looking out at the ocean, walking on the bridge and the seclusion of the smaller island. For those who don't want to walk as far (you can also order a buggy) and want direct access to the fabulous house reef, go with a beach villa with a room number starting in the 200s. Conrad is pricey and people should expect this as this is a luxury hotel, but the standard that is delivered meets the price.

We came back to Conrad to snorkel and well, snorkel we did. The house reef is amazing and while most of the Maldives has sadly experienced coral bleaching in 2016, the fish species are abundant and the clarity in the morning is incredible. We went on six snorkel excursions during our stay and I can't say enough amazing things about the entire recreation team, particularly the snorkel guides. Thank you Rashdee, Azim, Ayan and Riyaz for some of the best experiences of our lives. Thank you to the recreation manager Fayez for your hospitality as well. Pierre and I are so grateful for all of the conversations, videos, photos and guiding that the snorkel guides did. The whale shark experience with Rashdee and Azim is second only to my wedding day as my favourite day. These guys truly go above and beyond - taking videos for guests and their excitement over the sea life is contagious. While my husband and I are strong swimmers (always first off the boat), we witnessed many guests on snorkelling excursions who were not and the guides went above and beyond in making sure these guests enjoyed their experience as well. I was impressed with how they treated everyone, regardless of swimming capability. We will cherish our memories from these trips and we can't wait to come back. Also shout out to our favourite life guard Abdullah who was always happy to discuss what we saw on our house reef snorkelling trips and our guest services agent Naeem who always made sure we had everything we needed.

The Rangali Bar staffer were great as well. I think we hit every happy hour and they always conversed with us and gave me extra olives. We loved watching the sunset and taking in the view before dinner and we had a great time every evening (good to see you again Aly Hamdan and thanks for all the great drinks). We mainly ate at the Atoll market and we looked forward to seeing our friend Ahoo who we first met five years ago and Jamal every morning and evening. These guys are the best and made our experience more enjoyable. I am a celiac and Meghan at the meat station was beyond lovely and always could tell me whether the meat was gluten free (before I could even ask). They catered very well to food allergies. The staff at this hotel is just incredible and the service is unparalleled. We travel extensively and service elsewhere doesn't even come close to Conrad. As well, Conrad Rangali in 2017 has its former self from 2012 beat (our previous gold standard for staff hospitality).

A few other reviewers have commented on the behaviour of other guests and I do agree that compared to five years ago there are significantly more large groups that can be quite rude, pushy, loud and "starey", particularly at the buffet. We had extremely noisy neighbours and Naeem promptly offered to move us if it was an issue. My husband speaks some Mandarin and went over to talk to them and it became less of an issue, so I also think politely dealing with any major direct issues is a route to consider taking.

All I can say is this resort is amazing. It's beautiful, relaxing, quiet and truly paradise. We will be back because no other holidays or hospitality can come close to delivering what Conrad Rangali Island can. It was absolutely worth the 30+ hour flight each way. Thank you for the best holiday of our lives!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Britt T
ConradRangali, General Manager at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear brittrtan,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor.

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to our little patch of paradise and I'm so pleased that you were able to experience so much of what our tiny islands have to offer, including our wonderful villas, beautiful house reef and friendly staff.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and valuable feedback. I certainly hope we can welcome you back again very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rangali Island
17.1 km away
Sun Island Resort
Sun Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nalaguraidhoo Island

Been to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island? Share your experiences!