All reviews jo lynn french press small hotel day bed local rice wine rain shower local coffee top spot friendly hotel bako national park booking tours chong choon central kuching spacious room seafood the river enjoyed my stay
Reviewed 18 March 2015

Five reasons why I would return to the Batik Boutique Hotel on a future trip to Kuching:

1. Great architecture – The hotel is housed in an old shop lot which has been wonderfully transformed into a chic & cosy hotel. As most traditional shop houses go, the building is long and narrow & runs the risk of being dark & gloomy. However, this was certainly not the case – the clever use of space ensured that there was sufficient lighting. Stepping into the hotel, your view takes you past the cosy lobby, a small trendy bar & through the big glass panels that lead to a nice sunny courtyard at the back of the hotel. Take a seat on the imposing 4-poster look-alike bed in the middle of the lobby & look up all the way to the top of the 4-storey building to a see-through roof that further lets sunlight into the building.

2. Great artistic touches everywhere – The interior decoration is much in line with the name of the hotel. I loved the contemporary batik-motif ironwork on the lobby wall that stretched the entire height of the 4-storey building, as much as I loved the traditional batik cushions strewn on the lobby couch. The rooms that were spacious, bright and cheerful, had batik mosaic tiles in the walkway and an attractive batik feature wall.

3. Great location – Situated along Jalan Padungan right in the heart of Kuching, the hotel is within walking distance to the Sarawak Waterfront, the Main Bazaar and Carpenter Street. There are lots of great eating spots nearby, including Top Spot, an airy food court serving great seafood, on the rooftop of a building located almost just next door. There are pharmacies and a 24-hour laundromat just across the road and in case you wish to bring home some Sarawak Laksa paste, Everrise (the largest supermarket chain in Sarawak) is just a few minutes’ walk away.

4. Great food - Despite being close to many great eating spots, we opted to eat in for breakfast every day. Yeah, it was that good. There were 8 choices on the breakfast menu ranging from the local Sarawak Laksa to spinach omelette. We enjoyed the bread too, so much so that we ordered some to pack as our snack during our day out at the Bako National Park.

5. Great service – Hats off to Jo-Lynn, Mas & the rest of the warm & friendly crew who run this place! They are more than happy and ever ready to provide recommendations and very useful tips! On our last day, as we piled into our rental car, Jo Lynn came out of the hotel to bid us farewell & send us off. Really, with their hospitality, it was like staying at a friend’s house instead of a hotel!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeiLynn
Reviewed 28 February 2015

there r juz so many thgs to like about this hotel. from the moment i made d booking, the staffs were very helpful and nice.when i entered d lobby, i do like the simple but unique interior design of the lobby. it was small though and i thought the same wd b for my room. however, it was beyond my expectation. d room was spacious and nicely designed with tiles and wood floor. d bed was very comfortable and could fit 3 person to sleep on it.there was iron and ironing board provided.and there were sufficient power cord in the room.what i like most is the bathroom.it felt like i went in a spa centre.there is a bathtub and the hair and body products given was the tanamera products which are always used in the local spa centre.so it smelt like in a spa everytime had my shower:) . the hotel location is also an advantage because it is in the main area of kuching city. it is in walking distance to the famous waterfront area which have so many shops selling souvenirs etc. it is also in walking distance to many eateries such as the topspot, the raja ayam bakar, the sambal planet etc. it is juz the opposite of tun jugah mall and near the cat statue.
d only thing lacking here is d parking space.d hotel only provided 3 parking spaces. so u need to inform them early to book d space. owh,and also,d breakfast served was juz okay and dun expect too much for it:).

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2015 via mobile

Don't judge a book by its cover. From the outside its just look like another normal hotel. But it all starts from the way they greet n welcome u. The native wine with brownies are refreshing. So are the rooms. The breakfast are nice though limited varieties. Really recommend this

Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2015

When we saw the frontage of hotel from the road, we were expecting a disaster! How wrong were we! Pleasantly surprise with the friendliness of staff, quality and spaciousness of room, and certainly the rooms are boutique stylo!

Like I say, we started gloomy... The frontage looks old. Then épée had to turn around to park our car at the back, only 3 slots of parking, but I suppose if you arrive at night, the street parking around it should be clear. Small simple lobby with no reception really... A bar place at the back, and a nice looking restaurant at the front for breakfast. We were told to sit on the big day bed, yes day bed in lobby with plenty of batik pillows while waiting for our key. We were served with a smile, a small portion of rice wine and some batik cakes, uplifting as both are tasty! We were handed our keys quickly and had the front rooms on 1st floor. An elevator takes us up and more surprises in place...

The center of the hotel opens up to a see-through roof, bringing light and feeling of spaciousness compare to the lobby. But it was when we enter the room that I was glad we picked this place. Enters to a hallway with batik-like pattern tiled floors. The cupboards are on the left while the huge bathroom is on the right. Then it opens up spaciously to an elevated floor where the bed, working table and tv is. As we have the front room, the entire front wall are windows, so lots of sunlight in the room, making it light. The double layer curtain with light-out curtains are great, I also did not hear much from the streets at night, but that's probably because I am a deep sleeper. Beds are comfy, with reading light, plenty of power plugs, and a iPhone 4 charger with speaker, unfortunately my 5S can't plug in. Limited TV channels.

Now the best surprise is in the bathroom! On the right, behind a glass wall, huge shower place with rain shower head or handheld. Consistent hot shower. Towels isn't that white, so I used my own. Anyways, on the left is a beautiful stone bathtub! Complete with a pack of Tanamera sea salt for a nice soak! How unexpected! Only basic shower toiletries from Tanamera brand provided, packed in glass jars. Decent quality and smells wonderful, but can't bring them home! Though the Tanamera products are sold at the lobby.

Just when I thought nothing else will surprise me.... They provide high quality unique grounded coffee and tea leaves! Bravo!

Last but not least, breakfast is ala carte with a good short selection. I had an American breakfast and it really makes my day with a good quality breakfast. Cereals, juices, tea and coffee are free flow.

Some restaurants around it including a nice looking chicken rice and roast pork. We ate at 21 Bistro for dinner, which is 3mins walk away. Wonderful char kway teow, downed with Hoegaarden. Aaa...

I would definitely be back the next time I am in Kuching!

Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2015

We booked in to the Batik after staying one night in another hostel and after waking up feeling very ill (not sure what that was from) we needed some comfort and Batik sounded the right place to go.

We were not disappointed! Batik has the nice boutique feel from the moment you arrive to the entrance. You can see they have put time and effort in to the style of the hotel and the rooms feel so spacious and airy with lots of window space which is nice. This had an added benefit as we spent 1.5 days in bed with constant sickness.

The spinach and mushroom omelette for breakfast was lovely and the granola very tasty. When I requested some mint tea in the morning they actually also put some tea bags in our room which was a lovely touch.

The bathrooms are nice with great showers and lots of lovely products to use which smell amazing.

They have movie night on a Friday which was a great touch as we didn't want to venture far from the hotel and they showed When Harry Met Sally on a big projection screen.

Finally the knowledge and info offered by the staff is invaluable and the gave us hints and tips on how to save money on the tours which was great.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the courtyard for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple