All reviewsjo lynnfrench pressday bedsmall hotellocal rice winerain showerlocal coffeetop spotfriendly hotelbako national parkbooking tourschong chooncentral kuchingspacious roomsarawak laksaseafoodthe river
Reviewed 6 February 2015 via mobile

Don't judge a book by its cover. From the outside its just look like another normal hotel. But it all starts from the way they greet n welcome u. The native wine with brownies are refreshing. So are the rooms. The breakfast are nice though limited varieties. Really recommend this

Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2015

When we saw the frontage of hotel from the road, we were expecting a disaster! How wrong were we! Pleasantly surprise with the friendliness of staff, quality and spaciousness of room, and certainly the rooms are boutique stylo!

Like I say, we started gloomy... The frontage looks old. Then épée had to turn around to park our car at the back, only 3 slots of parking, but I suppose if you arrive at night, the street parking around it should be clear. Small simple lobby with no reception really... A bar place at the back, and a nice looking restaurant at the front for breakfast. We were told to sit on the big day bed, yes day bed in lobby with plenty of batik pillows while waiting for our key. We were served with a smile, a small portion of rice wine and some batik cakes, uplifting as both are tasty! We were handed our keys quickly and had the front rooms on 1st floor. An elevator takes us up and more surprises in place...

The center of the hotel opens up to a see-through roof, bringing light and feeling of spaciousness compare to the lobby. But it was when we enter the room that I was glad we picked this place. Enters to a hallway with batik-like pattern tiled floors. The cupboards are on the left while the huge bathroom is on the right. Then it opens up spaciously to an elevated floor where the bed, working table and tv is. As we have the front room, the entire front wall are windows, so lots of sunlight in the room, making it light. The double layer curtain with light-out curtains are great, I also did not hear much from the streets at night, but that's probably because I am a deep sleeper. Beds are comfy, with reading light, plenty of power plugs, and a iPhone 4 charger with speaker, unfortunately my 5S can't plug in. Limited TV channels.

Now the best surprise is in the bathroom! On the right, behind a glass wall, huge shower place with rain shower head or handheld. Consistent hot shower. Towels isn't that white, so I used my own. Anyways, on the left is a beautiful stone bathtub! Complete with a pack of Tanamera sea salt for a nice soak! How unexpected! Only basic shower toiletries from Tanamera brand provided, packed in glass jars. Decent quality and smells wonderful, but can't bring them home! Though the Tanamera products are sold at the lobby.

Just when I thought nothing else will surprise me.... They provide high quality unique grounded coffee and tea leaves! Bravo!

Last but not least, breakfast is ala carte with a good short selection. I had an American breakfast and it really makes my day with a good quality breakfast. Cereals, juices, tea and coffee are free flow.

Some restaurants around it including a nice looking chicken rice and roast pork. We ate at 21 Bistro for dinner, which is 3mins walk away. Wonderful char kway teow, downed with Hoegaarden. Aaa...

I would definitely be back the next time I am in Kuching!

Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2015

We booked in to the Batik after staying one night in another hostel and after waking up feeling very ill (not sure what that was from) we needed some comfort and Batik sounded the right place to go.

We were not disappointed! Batik has the nice boutique feel from the moment you arrive to the entrance. You can see they have put time and effort in to the style of the hotel and the rooms feel so spacious and airy with lots of window space which is nice. This had an added benefit as we spent 1.5 days in bed with constant sickness.

The spinach and mushroom omelette for breakfast was lovely and the granola very tasty. When I requested some mint tea in the morning they actually also put some tea bags in our room which was a lovely touch.

The bathrooms are nice with great showers and lots of lovely products to use which smell amazing.

They have movie night on a Friday which was a great touch as we didn't want to venture far from the hotel and they showed When Harry Met Sally on a big projection screen.

Finally the knowledge and info offered by the staff is invaluable and the gave us hints and tips on how to save money on the tours which was great.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the courtyard for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GemmaCharters
Reviewed 3 January 2015

First of all the staff is lovely and very helpful. The rooms are clean, modern and stylish. The brakfast is very good as you get to choose from different dishes (especially loved the french toast). It's located very central so you can reach the waterfront promenade and the main bazaar conveniently by foot. We stayed for 5 nights and had a great time. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2015
2  Thank Malaysua
Reviewed 30 December 2014

Jo-Lynn, Jackie and the rest of the crew are helpful, friendly and so welcoming. Not your typical stuffy hotel. The team is ever ready with tips on where to go, what to do and it feels like you are coming back to friends instead of an informal hotel.
The rooms are very spacious, with nice interiors, and eco-friendly toiletries!
Highly recommended!