Batik Boutique Hotel
Hilton Kuching(Kuching)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsjo lynnfrench presslocal rice winesmall hotelday bedrain showertop spotfriendly hotellocal coffeebako national parkrooms are spacioushighly recommend this hotelseafoodsarawak laksathe riverstayed for nightscarpenter street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Thank you for your excellent service. We felt very welcomed & amazingly accommodated. Immaculate & personalised service with attention to detail. We love the welcome drink & cake. Smooth check in& stylish rooms.
All amenities were superb. Breakfast yummy!!! Great walking distance to everything. We stayed with our 1 year old daughter- extremely child friendly staff :)
We didn't realise that airport transfers were provided until we got to the hotel as this was not clear from the website. The taxi from airport doesn't cost much.
We would definitely recommend and stay again if we ever have the chance

Reviewed 24 September 2012

My girlfriend and myself recently spent three nights at the Batik. We booked with them after seeing rave reviews on trip advisor, and I've to say that we were not disappointed indeed! Located at the western end of Chinatown, the hotel is only footsteps away from lots of cheap and good local fare, as well as chic cafes and restaurants. The hotel staff impressed us with great hospitality and acceded to our requests as far as possible. We even had complimentary airport transfers both ways. As for the room, it was big, clean and modernly furnished, and even came with an ipod dock as well. The complimentary coffee and tea were great! This puts many bigger hotels to shame, as this hotel uses good quality tea sachets and ground coffee, complete with a french press! My only complaint was that the mini fridge didn't seem to be working. Nonetheless, still a wonderful experience, and we'll sure be back should we head for Kuching again : )

1  Thank cradels3108
Reviewed 23 September 2012

From the moment you are collected from the airport, you know you are with a friendly group of people. The Batik hotel is situated on a busy street with some road noise in the room facing the road. The room was large with both a bath and a shower and batik decoration throughout. Breakfast is freshly prepared from a small menu - I had the pancakes one day and on others had the cooked breakfast. Everyone I spoke to at Batik was keen for me to enjoy my stay and make sure that I did all the activities I wanted to do. They went the extra mile - literally, by driving me to a restaurant and ensuring that I caught the bus to Bako National Park etc. As it is a small hotel you get to know all the staff well and it is great to be met by a welcoming hello on return and have the opportunity to talk through the days activities in the small bar area. As well as the breakfast I had a delicious piece of carrot cake. I can recommend this hotel for it's central location, good amenities and very friendly staff. It is not luxury but a good option for those who want something different and boutique style hotel.

Room Tip: Street facing rooms may be noisy - if you prefer quiet room ask for one which does not face the road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank happytime19
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We booked 5 days in the Batik. Upon arrival we received a very friendly welcome combined with options to do in the 5 days we were in Kuching. The reception area/bar looks very good. The courtyard is small with a few chairs overlooking a parking lot. 'courtyard view' basically means that the rooms is at the back, as the yard is so small that to speak of a 'view' is a bit much.
Our room on the 3rd floor was ok. Hallways can do with a make-over, but who spends time on the hallway anyway. The room was large and nicely decorated. Some bits and pieces failing (safe not attached to anything, shower not airconditioned (in fact it was a sauna in there), aircon a bit loud). But all in all very nice and with attention to detail. We headed out for dinner (Topspot up the hill) and the next day it was time to test breakfast. This was also average. Ok I guess if you like cooked breakfast (eggs, sausage, Malay breakfast), but a bit limited if you like a light breakfast with some cereal, fruit and sandwich. The service was a bit uninterested, especially compared to the reception welcome. So again, OK, but nothing special.
Now the downside for us: no pool or nice relax area to unwind or cool of from a hot Kuching or Bako jungle day. The bar itself is not used and the restaurant seemed to be without customers.
This made us change hotel. After 2 nights we booked The Pullman, just up the hill. If you book through their website, pricing is similar to Batik. For this you get a nice modern room with good aircon and view of the city and a huge bathroom, a pool and a very good breakfast. Of course you also get the unpersonal approach of a big chain hotel (who gave these chains the idea that placing more incompotent staff at any given area will solve the problem?) whereas Batik is all about service and friendliness. But if you only use Batik to sleep and you book your trips just as easy via internet and the phone, pricing for this 'personalised' experience is on the high end at Batik.
In conclusion: a good attemp to create something different in Kuching by combining 'hostel and family' feeling, but with average result and certainly somewhat overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SasGuy
Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

After reading such great reviews of the batik in trip advisor, we booked a room for 6 nights, the overall price was about $470. The pictures people had posted looked so lovely, and we were excited once we arrived at the lobby. Unfortunately, our room looked nothing like other people's pictures. We were led into a very small dark room- there was no natural light. A very small thin window looked out onto the corridor, but obviously the curtain was drawn to avoid people looking in as they walked by. The tiled floor was dirty and felt sticky underfoot. The air con only goes down to 20, but in the hour we were in the room, it blew warmish air and wasn't able to cool the room. The linen had marks, there were scuff marks on the walls, the bathroom was dark with stains on the shower. I think we got a dud room? In other reviews the rooms looked lovely- I'm not sure what happened with ours. It was like a small dark closet. I was a bit panicked at the idea of spending 6 nights there. Within an hour of being shown the room, we decided to switch hotels. For only a hundred or so more, we booked a room at the Pullman and had an incredible stay. We went downstairs and awkwardly explained that we had decided to leave. We've never left a hotel before and were extremely embarrassed and tried to be apologetic and polite. We apologised and explained that the room was simply not ok. The staff offered to show us other rooms and we declined, as we had decided to switch. The staff were polite and professional about it. I had not expected that the standards between rooms would be so drastically different- I think an enjoyable stay here depends on which room you get. For something that's within the Hilton and Pullman price range, I expected a clean room with windows. as per the booking policy, we were charged in full for the first night, after spending an hour in the room and switching.

2  Thank jhebden