G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
US$148
US$115
Hotel Jen Penang(George Town)
US$93
US$90
Agoda.com
US$76
US$67
Spices Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$52
  • Breakfast included
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
US$126
US$107
GLOW Penang(George Town)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 24/07
US$48
US$42
Hotels.com
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$39
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$44/night.

Heliconia Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$31
US$239
US$194
Seven Terraces(George Town)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$192
US$185
All reviewsgurney drivebeach cafejacuzzi tubmr firdausliving halldining tablehuge roomfacing the seano liftinfinity poolbit datedspacious bathroomhotel managementfood courtbuffet breakfastpleasant staylocal food
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

This is the worst hotel in Penang.

Cocaroch every where
Very very dirty

I don't recommend it for any one. Even single hour.

Moreover, room service is the lowest service you may think ever.

Staff are very nice. This is the only things they have.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mohammed a
WangChenYee, Hotel Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Dear En Mohammed,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you are satisfied with the overall service by our staff but please accept our sincere apologies for the unfouvorable experience you encountered during your stay. Rest assured we take your feedback seriously and we are taking immediate action to address the pest control issue.

When your travel plan brings you back to Penang, please contact me directly and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

The main problems I had with my stay were: cockroaches, a broken room safe, malfunctioning light controls, a dirty bathroom with severely leaking shower, and water-damaged floorboards with a musty/moldy smell in the room and furniture.

My family arrived at night and, within a minute of entering the suite, one of my children says "what's that?" I peer closer and sure enough, it is a cockroach. I immediately set about turning on all the lights to get a better look around. I soon realized that a number of the lights don't work. When I inspected the bathroom, there was urine on the toilet seat! Dried. Under the toilet seat. I'm feeling pretty insecure about my surroundings by this point but I'm trying hard not to upset my family. I couldn't keep quiet about the jacuzzi tub however. There was orange residue in there that I could not identify. It was very disconcerting.

I had to call the front desk for extra towels and to replace a hairdryer that was clearly missing from its wall mount. Evidently the hotel had also run out of conditioner, a fact that was corroborated by members of my party staying in other rooms. We soon found out that the electronic room safe was broken, the shower leaked water from its foundation, and the floorboards are warped from water seeping up under the living area.

The next morning, we asked the concierge to have someone fix the room safe and change the blown light bulbs in the room. When we returned in the evening, the lights worked but the safe was still broken. We learned from our friends who checked into two other rooms at the Northam that broken room safes and cockroaches were a common denominator in other rooms as well. After catching two more cockroaches, it was time to sleep. Except, all the lights wouldn't turn off! ALL the lights! "Just pull the room key out of the front door slot" someone suggested. I tried three times, waiting patiently for at least five minutes between tries to no avail. I left the room key out of the slot but no amount of punching of buttons on the master controls or the wall switches would induce any of the lights to turn off. Finally, at my wits end, we went to bed with all the lights on. At some point in the middle of the night, the lights finally decided to turn off on their own accord.

By the third day, the housekeeping staff finally learned to leave some extra towels for us to mop up the after-shower flooding from the leaking shower stall. I noticed that the musty smell that prevailed in our room had permeated all of our luggage and clothing. We had pre-arranged to transfer over to another hotel midway through our Penang visit, where we arrived "smelling like the Northam" for a few days. I have already made a note to management that room 3006 should not be rented out again until proper renovations are completed.

Was there anything good about this "4 Star" hotel? A few things: 1) there is a beautiful waterfront view, 2) the infinity pool on the 9th Floor provides a great way to cool off in the afternoon, 3) the complimentary mixed Western and Malaysian breakfast buffet was quite good and 4) the bell hop Sandran was exceptionally courteous and helpful. But I will not stay here again.

This is my third attempt to submit a review for this stay as my previous submissions ("accepted" by TripAdvisor) appear to have gone missing.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Buffyanna

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the seaview, our infinity pool, the breakfast spread and the service from Sandran. However, we regret to learn of the undesirable experience you encountered with the condition of the room. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

I have shared your feedback with our team and we have taken action to address the issues mentioned in your review. Please contact me directly if your travel plan brings you back to Penang. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Northam in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Cockroaches in room on floor 27! Hotel did nothing, and I have just read other reviews that have said the same, wish I saw this before booking. Decor tired and dated, look at photos from guests and decide quality yourself! Floor boards health hazard. Towels and bedding are old and worn. Smokey smell despite being a no smoking floor. Good views to sea but windows are filthy and didn't feel comfortable leaning on glazing. Seriously do not recommend, particularly for those from U.K. Positives, large rooms and good location.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ange L

Dear Ms Ange,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our spacious suite and the convenience location during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unfavourable experience you encountered during your stay. We have taken action to address issues mentioned in your comments. Even our hotel is an older property; we are committed to provide all of our guests a pleasant stay at the Northam.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel during your next visit back to Penang. Please contact me directly for your future reservation and I will personally ensure you your next stay at the Northam will be more enjoyable one. Thank you.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

I have been to many hotels up to 5 stars, but imagine from the moment you want to check in, while eating in restaurant, friendly staff especially staff name Nurhidayah, what you see is smiling face, care and feeling special. Room neat and spacious. I had an unforgettable holiday! Overall l had a great time here and l will be back....

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
WangChenYee, Hotel Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Dear Ms Roslina,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. Thank you for the kind words. I have shared your inspiring comments with the team.

All of us at The Northam are committed to create a memorable experience for all of our guests, one guest at a time. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Northam in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Has placed room reservation for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday and paid deposit few months back for Junior Suite.
Called in a month before and was talking to a *not so polite* reservation counter lady.
Ended with really bad impression.
The lady on phone kept on repeating that all bed in Junior Suite in ENTIRE hotel are 2 twin/single bed join as double. No king or queen bed available.

Emailed to hotel several times but it did not have the courtesy to reply back. AT ALL.

With disappointed feeling checking in and came with another sad news:
Staff in reception told us they have allocated DELUXE ROOM and was not a suite.
What on earth is going on?
Me and my boyfriend was going to blow up during that moment....
And there comes a senior manager or staff which was delighted to change the room after reading my reservation hard copy.
Which he has given us King bed Junior suite.
Oh yes.. you read no wrong.
There is King bed after all.....
(Shaking head)

PLEASE ! If you are driving with big and heavy suitcase, drop it in main gate before heading to car park.
Park to the lowest floor as no lift available.
(BEHOLD yourself, as what comes to you when  open the door to hotel lobby from its car park IS HOTEL PUBLIC WASHROOM with strong chemical smell for toilet, what a big turn off)

Came into the room, checking the bed, checking everything before we placed our suitcase down and really hope for the best. (After reading all the negative feedback for this hotel)
It is beautiful huge room with no crawling bug..
Ah ! Finally..
Beautiful sea view...

Well... Jacuzzi was not working, as we tried to fill in the water till we gave up at the end. Water pressure was low, small and it can't fill in on time.
(We gave up after 2 hours, I switched on and dozed off while waiting, my boyfriend has actually finished a movie while waiting)

We did not gave up on this room... No Jacuzzi, no big deal, why on earth I placed in Junior Suite than in the beginning?
Sigh...

JUST IN CASE ! If you do not mind aka get freak out in the middle of the night the washroom light switch on and off out of sudden, few times a night.
Aircondition will switch on and off, few times in night...
You will be fine.
(Since i have my man with me all the time)
Do not get freak out as old building with old wiring and the room light is all control by control pad.
(That is all I could explain in scientific way. HA!)

Breakfast varities:
with egg counter everyday
with noodle station everyday.
With 2 porridge to choose from everyday.
With same Nasi Lemak (coconut rice) everyday.
With 2 varieties fruits everyday.
With 1 steam bun everyday.
With 3 bowls of veggies in salad bar everyday.
With pastry everyday.
With same chicken sausage everyday.
With same chicken ham everyday.
With 1 same stir fried veggie everyday.
With fruit juice counter everyday.
(Yes, it has varieties... in some way...)

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple