“Value for money, comfortable stay, great location and a great service to boot!”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 May 2012

You are only gonna hear good things from this review because I genuinely experienced the most sincere services from the wonderful staff at Cititel penang. Honestly I have never met staffs, a porter, housekeeping staff and front counter receptionist, who would go beyond the call of duty to make guest feel good. I really liked the fact that their service staff at this hotel is empowered to make decisions that will please and assist their guest regardless of their nationality and room types.

This is my first stay with cititel penang but not my first visit to penang. I travelled last weekend with my family for a short getaway to penang. The choice of hotel was based on our budget and the need for proximity to all the good hawker fare located around this hotel that seats comfortably at jalan penang, which is 2 lanes away from the famous E & O hotel where you can have nice buffet or afternoon tea by the sea, the cheong tze fatt mansion (heritage site) is a stone throw away and a short walk away from Kafe Ho Ping and Kafe Kheng Pin where you can find the famed Char Koay Teow & Lor Bak respectively. Even the Famous Nasi Kandar stall was within walking distance and attractions like Komtar, Chowrasta market and heritage sites in Georgetown are within comfortable distance. We also found out there is a free hop on bus service that takes us around georgetown to weld quay just conveniently outside the hotel. It's called the MPPP Rapid Penang CAT (central Area Transit) service.

So the location is a plus point if you are able body and don't mind taking a walk instead of travelling by taxi. That will save you a couple of bucks and aid digestion from all the wonderful but greasy food you ingested. So no complains about the location at all. A comfortable 30mins ride from the airport and pretty much near all the major attractions of Penang.

We met nice service staff, one of whom we must mention- Gabriel and he works as a porter for 12 years in the hotel. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. He assisted in making many of the arrangements that helped make this trip very special for our family. Special thanks to him. Its really great to see people taking pride in their jobs and roles and doing a good job. He seem to be enjoying his job. Kudos to him for making our stay comfortable and taking feedbacks seriously and taking the trouble to make recommendations, adding his magical personal touch to his impeccable service.

We totally and thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality at cititel penang as even their standard rooms are adequate, very comfortable bedding (King sized beddings) and no complains about their air conditioning. Housekeeping does a great job in keeping our room spotless everyday.

I will definitely stay in CItitel on the next visit. This will be my hotel of choice. Not shabby at all for the price we are paying. I will recommend this wonderful little business hotel to all who visits Penang.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for King size beds even if you opt for standard rooms. Top up additional $50 per ni...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank fatgirl_84
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Guest

My sincere thanks for your kind and gracious compliments of our services and facilities during your recent stay at Cititel Penang – they are truly appreciated. I have also shared your kind words with Gabriel with much pride.

It is always gratifying to learn that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay - I will share your kind comments with my team, who will be equally delighted to know that the service rendered is highly appreciated and acknowledged. It is through these comments and feedback that inspires us to continue to give our best in providing a totally fulfilling experience for all our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family for many more return visits and thank you once again for taking the time to write.

With kind regards,

Tony Goh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We've booked through hotel online reservation website and requested for a king size bed in a standard room. However, when we arrived that late evening, we were told that non-smoking rooms with king size bed are all taken up and only one room with a king size bed is available, that is a smoking room.
Because we are travelling with a young kid (<2 y.o), cleanliness and odor-free room would be our main priority. Therefore, we have no other choice but to upgrade to a corner standard room, that cost us an additional RM30/nite. We were told at the reception that the deluxe rooms were refurbished but the standard rooms has not been refurbished. So, the front desk officer highly recommended us to upgrade to the corner standard room with a top up of RM30.

We were a tad too disappointed, but didn't wanted to make a fuss as we just wanted to rest for the day. So, we managed to checked in to the 6th floor, which is a non-smoking floor.

Overall, the room was clean and brightly lit. It had a great seaview and the equipment in the room were working well. We particularly like the shower and bath's water pressure in the bathroom. Although the furniture were slightly old, but still in a usable condition.

There were some noises from the street (probably from the pubs/nightclubs nearby), but it was quite minimal. But if you have choice, choose those rooms on higher floors to avoid those noises.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors would be good and if have the budget, go for corner rooms which are sligh...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated.

If you could let me know in advance of your next visit, we will ensure that our non-smoking room with a king-sized bed will be reserved for you and your family. Kindly email me at gm@cititelpenang.com and will do the needful from my end.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again soon and until then, thank you for writing and may I wish you a great week ahead.

Jurong, Singapore
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I chose Cititel due to it's positive reviews on TripAdvisor and based on its location in Georgetown.
Stayed in Cititel with a group of 4 friends from 9th to 12 May. I had booked 2 standard rooms but was recommended to upgrade to deluxe rooms upon checking in, which we did for an extra of RM50 per room per night and we found it to be worth it. Our rooms, which were recently refurbished, were on the 12th floor with a fantastic view of the sea and E&O Hotel. Our rooms came with free WiFi too, which we were happy to have.
The concierge staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, especially Gabriel, who kindly provided us with useful information on places to visit, where to eat, etc. The transport hire service was excellent too.
I would highly recommend this hotel as it is conveniently located in the heart of Georgetown, with many eating places nearby and easily accessible by public bus. It is also within 10-15 minutes of walking distance to Komtar/Prangin Mall/1st Avenue.
The downside is that the hotel is still undergoing refurbishment works, so you might not be able to sleep in due to the noise, which was not a problem for my group, as we were mostly only in our rooms in the morning and back late in the evening.
Some of us also found the pillows to be a little bit hard and high. Hope that there would be softer pillows in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jiangzw88
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from across the Causeway!

I am very happy to read your positive review of our hotel services and facilities and have shared your comments about Gabriel with him with much pride.

My team and I thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated. Softer pillows are available from our Housekeeping Department and I apologise for the discomfort you experienced during your stay; on your next visit back, kindly let me know in advance (gm@cititelpenang.com) and we will arrange for the softer pillows to be placed in your rooms.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Cititel Penang soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This hotel is a really good find, such a good price, details -:

The Good/Great points -:

Bargain price, deluxe room abt $80usd a night
Great location
Quiet rooms
Great bed & mattress
Wonderful view of the sea from the 16th floor bedroom
Friendly staff at reception & the main street cafe, esp the new Indonesian waiter
Hot water & water pressure in shower was strong.
The most amazing chicken satays in the Main Street Cafe

The only negatives ...

Bathtowels , were paper thin
The driveway staff were unfriendly and unhelpful on a few occasions, after I didn't accept
their hard sell for a 4hr car/driver hire.

I'd certainly suggest this hotel & stay here again

Room Tip: Deluxe room, with the great view is worth the extra few dollars.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Harem32
Dear Guest

Warmest Greetings from Cititel Penang!

It is very heartening to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

My team and I appreciate your kind comments about our hotel facilities, location, food and service. I have advised my Housekeeper accordingly about the condition of our towels and have also spoken to our transport concessionaire with regards to their staff on duty.

My apologies on the above and I hope that these issues did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay in our hotel..

My thanks once again for taking the time to write and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed here for one night in May 2012. The hotel is nicely located in the center of Georgetown with lots of food options around. The concierge staff are helpful and in general it was a pleasant stay. The room was spacious enough for 2 people. The tv selection is meager but the beds are comfy. I wish they gave us more than one pillow but it was comfortable enough. There is a health center where one can avail of an oil massage. My advice? Dont try it at all. I made the mistake of doing so and it was an experience-- It looked a bit dubious as the masseuse wore tight mini skirts and high heels rather than proper uniforms. The massage itself was so so (it was a weird mix of shiatsu and swedish and just simply pushing and pulling) and the massage bed left my legs riddled with bites from bed bugs. So overall, the hotel is good and staff are friendly just dont go use their health center.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RunnerJaime
GM-CPG, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

My team and I thank you for taking the time to write in to share the experience of your recent stay here.

I am sorry to learn of your less than pleasant experience encountered at the Health Centre, a leased outlet at the hotel. I would like to reassure you that I am looking into the matters you highlighted with the Health Centre owner with utmost priority to ensure such incidents do not recur.

On a happier note, I am glad to note that our facilities and services provided a pleasant stay.

Thank you once again for writing as it is through your kind feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.