2,721 results
All reviews emerald bay spa village hill villa sea villa uncle lims our honeymoon chapman's bar private island sunset cruise spa treatments monitor lizards on stilts jungle walk resident package jamu bar fruit bats meal plan
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We had been wanting to visit this resort for a number of years, as the photos of the villas on stilts over the sea looked very appealing. Taking into acccount that we have traveled throughout Asia for many years, here is our review:

The resort is well-maintained, and has one of the most beautiful small beaches we have seen anywhere. The island is quite hilly, however, and unfortunately this means that when the roads have been cut, cement has been applied liberally to the hillside adjacent to the road to help avoid landslides. So driving around is not very charming. And we don't like the driving part - because the resort is spread out, you become reliant on small shuttle buses to take you from place to place, and I really don't like spending my vacation time in a shuttle bus.

The staff are highly accommodating, although the service is a bit slow by 5-star standards. We felt as though the staff knew who we were throughout our visit, and found them friendly and engaging. The yoga master failed to show up on time for his afternoon class (he was 20 minutes late), which we found a bit odd. And the staff at the Straits restaurant were attentive to the point of being a real distraction to our dinner. We really do not need to have every dish dissected for us verbally, when we have ordered from a menu that already has a description of each dish. And we certainly do not expect to be interrogated about our feelings about each course every time a plate is picked up. The guitar player and singer belong in a bar, not a fine restaurant, where quiet background music would have provided a far better experience. The dinner was extremely leisurely - about 2.5 hours to work through a 5 course set menu - tough at the end of a long day in the sun. So although the food was fine, the experience was not, and we do not recommend this restaurant.

The food at the resort is very good, although expensive. However, no complaints on quality. The breakfast buffet is large and varied, and has a fresh juice stand in addition to a large assortment of both Asian and Western breakfast choices. The Fisherman's Cove restaurant was great- we ate there twice because the fish was so fresh and good, and it was lovely to be on the deck over the sea. We also found their team to be great and very friendly. We did not try the Chinese restaurant, but it looked popular. There is no room service. The international buffet and the Straits restaurant unfortunately overlook the boat basin in the front of the resort. This is too bad, because there are often working boats docked there as well as the shuttle boats - and the view of the contents of the working boat is like dining in the garage. There are also some not-so attractive buildings across the bay which make the feel a bit less sylvan than if they were not there.

We reserved a sea villa, but were advised on arrival that a whole section of 23 villas had been closed just before the holiday weekend for reasons which the staff clearly did not wish to share. We were given instead a large villa in the forest in the Estate section, far from all of the resort amenitiies. The room was large, very well-appointed, and dark. There was a lovely jacuzzi outside, but it was only about a foot deep!

We moved to another section of the sea villas the next day. Our villa was great - shows its age, but was very clean if rather sparsely appointed - but I loved it, because it was where I wanted to be. Certainly not plush by any means, although it had feather pillows and a tub big eh\nough for two. There was a rain shower over the tub, but no walk-in shower. The view was lovely, and it was very quiet. The night time ambience was slightly sub optimal as the spot lights on the beach detracted a bit from the romantic setting.

The spa is very nice, and highly recommended. The staff are well-trained and very professional. The "bath experience" prior to treatment is unique, and very relaxing. The hair treatment is one of the best spa treatments I have ever had anywhere - highly recommended! I also loved the scrub and the wrap, and slept very well after all.
Great, airy library with wif-fi access - we had no trouble "keeping up" while we were here.

Over all - very nice, good value for money, and a nice change from the city. Kudos especially to the staff for working hard to ensure that we had a great visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SingaporeLulu
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I am halfway through a 10-night stay for my honeymoon. Whilst the service and friendliness of the staff is exemplary and cannot be faulted, there are a number of points which I feel severely hamper the resort.

Firstly, the cost of the food is far far too expensive, to the point where it is outrageous. Yes, I know we are a captive audience, but there is no justification for ripping off your clientele. As an example, on my first night, I ordered the Catch of the Day from the Fisherman's Cove. When I received my bill, it cost 240RM (approx 60GBP). This was just for my dish, not the overall cost. Lunch usually costs a minimum of 40-50GBP, just for one course and a soft drink each. Dinner is never less than 100GBP++ even just for a main and dessert. Portions are usually miniscule too.

I strongly advise the management of PL to review their pricing, as it does not offer value for money and would be interested to receive feedback on this.

There is also a lack of evening entertainment, and as a recent previous post said, the evenings become quite similar and boring (dare I say it). Plus no room service.

I tend to pay cash up front for my meals instead of putting it all on a card at the end of my stay - however, on numerous occasions the staff have not had enough change for me, and seem genuinely surprised that I prefer to pay each bill individually.

Finally, the televisions in the room only have a few channels on although for some people that may not be an issue.

The resort itself is beautiful and very relaxing. However, I would suggest that 5-7 days are more than sufficient here, and I cannot give more than 3* due to the constant pervading feeling of being ripped off with the cost of the food/drink.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dsasto
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Yesterdaymorning (a couple of hourrs before leaving) a seavilla collapsed into the sea. Upon asking we would not get a response other than nobody was hurt.....Something like this can never happen at a highly rated resort. Do they check regularly ??

Our stay in a gardenvilla was good, although there is some room for improvement (especially for this toprated resort):
- Ferry not leaving in time. They travel with 3 ferries at the same time: They asked us (!) whether all the luggage was on board and at Lumut we had to wait for 2 ferries to disembark, although we were promissed to have the first ferry. Also they insisted (,ore than once) that we had to book the ferry the night before leaving. We wanted to chose the next morning depending on the weather, but they kept on insisting!
- There is a huge stack of personnel, but with the transport acorss the island they did not use all the busses and let us wait when the bus was full.
- Gardenvilla are quite noisy. You can hear the neighbours. We complained at recepion and this was solved quickly.
- Indeed (as in other reviews) matrasses at swimmingpool can be all taken.

Food, drinks, beach, swimmingpool are nice.

We would comme back, but as said not in a seavilla (or spa-villa because theu are also on poles in the sea)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Alexander025
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Pangkor Laut has everything for a romantic break.
We went for a week as part of a trip around Malaysia for our honeymoon and it was the most luxurious out of all the places we stayed.
It is fantastic the moment you arrive at the jetty where you are greeted with a cool drink and a cold face towel. The boat journey is a lovely 20 minute ride adding to the adventure and unique nature of this resort.
We upgraded to a sea villa on arrrival and it was beautiful. Staff made us petal baths and added lovely touches to the room each night whilst we were out.
All the staff were amazing and delivered wonderful service.
The island is beautiful and Emerald Bay is paradise....
The only downside was the very expensive prices for food....You obviously eat on the island as there is nowhere else to go but that shouldnt mean that the prices are so high....
Some form of relaxed entertaiment as an option in one of the bars/ areas would also be nice as the nights became a little too much of the same.
This is a 5 star location however and we enjoyed it thoroughly...
Thanks to all the staff for making it a honeymoon to remember...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We stayed for 14 nights which seemed to be quite unsual most people we met were there for between 3-7 nights. The service from the very start was very slick and polished. We were upgraded from a garden villa to a spa villa which was amazing. The whole island is beautiful and emerald bay is just stunning. the food is so yummy but pretty expensive but you can't really excpect cheap food at a resort of this rating.
My husband like most men is rubbish at sunbathing and ALWAYS gets burnt everytime we go away anywhere even vaguely hot and this was no exception. So bare in mind he was grouchy as I relay the story.
The resort don't change travellers cheques so you have to go over to Lumut to do this which is kind of annoying and I was surprised that they didn't. Anyway Graham had bad sunburn and hadn't slep well and we were both awoken to scaffolding being put up very loudly to the villa across from us which was being painted. He called the Spa to see if he could go for a aloe vera and cucumber wrap which was recommended for sunburn - he called at 9am and was told there was no appoinments until 4pm. The resort was very quiet so it seemed a bit excessive so he said so and didn't take the appointment. he said to me he didn't want to sit in the sun so he would go to Lumut get some pressies and change the cheques and he set off about 10.30. At reception he was told there wasn't a boat until 12 noon so he was a bit grumpy but waited. The boat arrived and wouldn't let him on because there were too many people ( despite there being 3 other boats) so he had to wait until 12.30. He did and got on that boat which headed off to lumut got halfway and turned around and came back because 2 other guests were supposed to be on it. The boats back from Lumut are at 2pm and 5pm. By the time they got to Lumut it was 1.20pm and of course he didn't have time to do everything and had to get the 5pm boat back. He didn't get back to the villa until 6pm !!! I was really worried about him !! However the staff knew what had happened and approached him he didn't have to find someone to complain to. Casey was amazing we had complimentary dinner at the straits restaurant which was out of this world 7 course dinner, a trp to pankgor island, aloe vera for his sunburn, a sarong for me, caps, polo shirts and a handwritten apology !!! We also got aloe vera from the Spa, a free treatment and another handwritten apology from them !!! It was quite embarrassing but it was very well handled.
On the trip to pangkor island we visited the chinese temple which has got cages on the left hand side for 'tourists' - this wasn't shown to us we found it on our own. The cages were small and dirty and contained chickens and cockrels and a very very poor monkey. There was no water, no food, nothing to amuse her just an empty dirty cage. She had a infected bright pink bottom. We gave her 6 bananas and some water - it was just heartbreaking - if you go to there don't go into the temple go and see her instead.
On the way back to pangkor laut we had to wait 45min for the boat !! The rep was very embaressed and knew that we had that trip becuase Graham had been so messed around with boats so he offered us a complimentary suset cruise. Which sounds lovely and romantic but is wasn't and I had awful motion sickness for a day after.
I realise it sounds like we had an awful time and I will stop focusing on the negatives now. The spa is lovely and the bathhouse experience is fabulous. The food at fishermans cove is beautiful (the best waiting staff by far !!), Uncle Lims great food but poor wait staff ( 4 couples eating - 5 waiters and we waited 20min for 2 cocktails ??) Feast Village was ok. Chapmans bar was lovely and so was the pool bar the royal something. Attention to detail was brilliant the rooms were just pristene. The cooking experience was fantastic !!! The nightlife was non existent I mean not a soul in the bar except for us !!! We got to know the staff very well !!!
We did have an amazing time we loved the turtles at the spa as well and the girls let us feed them every day !!
I think we were just there a little too long - we did every trip and experience on offer. I would highly recommend having the luxury bath on your last night - we had the lovers' dip and it was sublime !!! If we could do it again I would do 2 nights in kl , 10 nights at the resort and then another 2 nights in Kl.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple