2,778 results
All reviews emerald bay spa village hill villa sea villa uncle lims our honeymoon chapman's bar private island sunset cruise spa treatments monitor lizards jungle walk on stilts jamu bar fruit bats resident package meal plan
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Just returned from another weeks stay in this wonderful resort. We see in a previous review that the beautiful Emerald Bay is dirty. We do not agree. We had one day of a dirty beach with detritus being washed in from the Malacca Straits but it was a very windy/stormy day and there was a cleaning team on the beach cleaning it constantly. All other days were calm and detritus free. The hotel cant be held responsible for all of the rubbish tipped into the Straits (part of a much bigger worldwide problem) and they do clean it up as soon as it arrives. Without going into detail about the different aspects of the hotel, the pleasures of being there are translated through the wonderful staff who just make you feel so welcome, so typical of this part of the world and so different to grumpy Europe. We want to single out three exceptional people who helped make our stay so enjoyable, Nasa in housekeeping, a lovely person who we already met on our last visit, Darwin, such a nice guy and manager of Uncle Lim's and Komang, the king of latte in the feast village. There are many more, too numerous to name. We understand that more than 350 employees work in the resort. Only in the pool bar in the evening were we sometimes disappointed, certain resorting to out of place criticism of his employer. Enough of that. We did however have one major disappointment this visit. We have always been there in January and our two previous visits were blessed with superb weather. This time though although it was always around 30°C we saw little sun during our week. It seems that climate change has also arrived in this part of the world. Of course even a hotel of this calibre cannot influence the weather. Marie and John

Room tip: We prefer the beach villas but there are only eight of these!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marie H
Pangkor_Laut, General Manager at Pangkor Laut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Dear Marie H,

Thank you for taking the time to complete Tripadvisor review. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff and we are so happy to hear you have been here now 3
(three) times and met all your expectations. We are very glad to know you were pleased with the hotel overall. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to meet your expectations.

I would like to thank you for all your feedback and suggestions and we look forward welcoming you back again. Please do contact us directly at travelcentre@ytlhotels.com.my for possible arrangements.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

After our third visit to this wonderful resort we cannot fault the property offerings, service and good value. Truly wonderful. Facilities are comprehensive, food quality and variety excellent and rooms large, clean and comfortable.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank nverdalaustin

Dear nverdalaustin,

Thank you for taking the time to complete Tripadvisor review. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. We are very glad to know you were pleased with the hotel overall. We look forward to hosting your stay once again and continuing to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

Stayed 4 nights with adult family in 2 hill side villas. It was a relaxing and comfortable stay. The rooms were reasonably spacious with a large bathroom with a separate bath and toilet. Being a hillside villa we had great views of the sea. Housekeeping staff kept the rooms extremely well cleaned.
Breakfast at the main Feast Village was as extensive as any that I have ever experienced. I particularly liked the fresh juice station where I could indulge in any concoction that I could think off as long as the fruit or vegetable was available.
The best feature of the resort by far was the spa which we visited daily. I particularly enjoyed the "bath ritual" and the free sarong that came with the visit. This also allowed us the use of the adults only swimming pool and lounge which was a wonderful escape from all the overactive children enjoying themselves in the main pool.
The biggest disappointment was Emerald Bay which was strewn with floating rubbish. I had one dip and when a floating fluorescent light tube hit me, I guess all the fun of swimming in that beach went pretty quickly. Ironically 50 years ago when I visited this beach, when it was an isolated beach untouched by tourism, it could easily match Pavarotti's statement that it was one of the most beautiful places in the world then. Alas it no longer is. I brought all my snorkelling gear all the way for nothing.
Another highlight is Uncle Lim's restaurant. The food was great and the service by far the best we encountered during our 4 day stay there. The spa was not far off. We enjoyed the food so much that we ate there for 3 evenings in a row.
Overall a very enjoyable stay. The transfers organised by YTL group was extremely comfortable and for a party of 4 with large suitcases, the mini van provided was comfortable and had free wi fi as well which kept us entertained for the 4 hour journey from Kuala Lumpur.
We would come back again for the spa and Uncle Lim's. Unfortunately Emerald Bay is no longer as it was 50 years ago.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank BunburyTim61

Dear BunburyTim61,

Thank you for taking the time to complete Tripadvisor review. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff. Thank you for mentioning our award winning spa. I always try to let our guests know that if you visit the island you must try at least one spa treatment. We are noted for being 'one island one resort' but the next is the rituals in the spa journey. Even one treatment will make you have a lifetime of memories.

Great to read that you found Uncle Lim’s far better service then you encountered on previous visits. Thank you for using our YTL limo services which comes equipped with wi-fi to make the journey shorter from KL! We are very glad to know you were pleased with the hotel overall.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed in The Pangkor Laut Estates, in estate 4. This estate is on its own beach which is a smaller version of emerald bay, but unfortunately doesn't get as much sun during the day. When renting an estate you get your own personal driver, butler, chef and maid, all of whom were amazing, friendly, helpful and very kind. It is about a 3-4 minute drive from the estates to the main pool/reception and a 2 minute drive to emerald bay.

The estate itself comprised of two large double bedrooms with dressing area and large bathrooms, a seating area overlooking the bay under a Cabana, a dining room (inside), a cabana with a bed, and a pool. The rooms are all separate, so if it's raining, which it did most days in the afternoon you need an umbrella to go from room to room. If you have children the bedrooms are quite far apart, ok for us, as kids are teenagers.

We last went to the resort 20 years ago and stayed in one of the sea suites. The main resort is still as beautiful as ever, and most areas have been renovated, so things were slightly different. The biggest change was the spa, it was the most amazing experience. My daughter and I did it together and the memory of that will stay with us forever.

We also did a sunset cruise around the island on Christmas Eve, hired jet skis, did the rain forest walk and had a BBQ on the beach on Christmas Day. We mainly ate dinner in our estate as we had our chef, however, we couldn't miss eating in Uncle Lim's, which is still as amazing as it was 20 years ago.

Thank you to all of the incredible staff, with the beautiful surroundings and the quality of the service, you made this holiday very special and we were very sad to leave.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank MrsCJC1
Reviewed 12 January 2018

We stayed in Pangkor Laut in November 2017 for our honeymoon.

We did this as the final week of a Thailand / Kuala Lumpur / Pangkor Laut adventure.

The drive from KL is 4 hours - but not a terrible drive in the comfort of the vehicle (Mercedes Vito or similar size anyway) that PL sent to collect us. The driver also provides in car wifi! Not a particularly scenic route although nice to pass by the Cameron Highlands at least. The driver seemed safe and the roads are not too busy (we were only on the motorway for half an hour).

On arrival the check in is great (the staff at every aspect of PL are GREAT). The boat ride was 10/15 mins max and pleasant.

On arrival at the resort they get you organised and off to your room seamlessly. We received an upgrade to a Spa villa (bungalows on stilts over the sea) but also you have access to the pool at the spa where no children are allowed (or other guests not staying in these villas) so for those that are child free this is excellent and so convenient from the villa - plus quiet and relaxed.

In the mornings they also did yoga right by these villas – although I was too interested in going to breakfast!!

On arrival at the room our music system wasn’t working so we called reception. Within 30 seconds there was a knock at the door and someone had arrived to fix the problem!! Wow.
The room was lovely and bathroom perfectly fine too – although we were expecting a beautiful unhindered sea view and actually we faced the Malacca Straits (and therefore trawlers!). They were far away though but still visible (and I grew to like them!). I would say the bathroom needed a lick of paint and some of the window catches and bolts were old and in need of replacement. The bathroom products were very nice too. The cleaning staff were EXCELLENT and left us a daily handmade towel creature…crab, monkey, elephant – v cute.

We booked full board so that we only had to pay for drinks at the resort and this is actually a great idea. Other than breakfast they give you a daily allowance which even when we exceeded this (not very often) we still didn’t get charged in the final bill. I think the principal is…eat 3 courses and it is all covered under the plan – so you basically can’t exceed the allowance. We had daily beers and a few cocktails and a bottle of wine a night and our final drinks bill for one week was £200 – which I think is not a ridiculous amount compared to some other hotels.

All of the restaurants were excellent.
Breakfast in the Feast Village was HUGE. And the choices are plentiful...freshly made juices, eggs, pastries, Indian – roti’s made on the spot (yum), Chinese, full English, smoothies, cruffins (muffin/croissants), cheeses, meats etc, etc, etc. Plus the restaurant is lovely with great views and also serves great evening meals (fine dining). I can’t fault it in the slightest.
Lunch is served in a few different places.
The Royal Bay Beach club is more relaxed with both a Western and Asian menu – the food was great as was the service. Also, for lunch you can take a hike through the jungle (15 mins) to the beach (wear a long sleeved top and trousers so as not to get bitten) and have lunch at Chapmans Bar. This is well worth the walk (you can also get the hotel transport there in 5 mins) and as you exit the jungle walk you are greeted by a bar on the beach and classical music (it was quite surreal). The lunch menu is bbq by the beach - all very fresh and includes satay and other help yourself starters and then chicken, beef, burgers, fish, prawns on the bbq. Excellent. Plus, the beach (called Emerald Bay) is in a quiet cove, with white sands, and is beautiful and peaceful. Sun loungers set out with towels and water for you.
For our evening meals we tried all of the restaurants except The Straits (only because the food is fine dining in the restaurants anyway and we didn’t feel the need to go one step higher plus pay for this when we already had EXCELLENT food within our daily allowance). Our favourite was Fishermans Cove and we even had a lobster EACH one evening (within a 3 course meal) and STILL remained within our allowance. Also, this restaurant also has a no child policy so is quite civilised and tranquil.
Our least favourite was Uncle Lim’s (sorry – I know this is the pride of PL but we thought it was just simply ok).

We also went to happy hour most evenings – buy one and get one free – for 3 hours (I think).

I tried the water skiing which was within the bay and was reasonably priced. The boat has seen better days though and I think they had to ask it to some over from the actual island of Pangkor Laut. Plus, there are various other things to do…paddle boarding etc.
And, there are various other trips to do – for example the sunset cruise around to Emerald Bay - serving drink and canapes. We intended to do a few more trips but became lazy as we were so well looked after and so relaxed!!

We had a princess and Warrior couples spa afternoon which was 3.5 hours and great but VERY EXPENSIVE.

Drinks prices – very reasonable (the wine list was perfectly fine and pretty large and then also included house wines with 3 options for whites and 3 reds – the Orvieto was approx. £18 a bottle ( I think) - one of the cheapest.

The island is lovely but as we had come from Thailand i noticed the scenery definitely didn’t have the WOW factor of the blue seas and beaches – PL is more muted greens and jungle.

This resort doesn’t feel too busy as it is spacious and therefore the guests never seem to congregate in the one place (apart from breakfast). Apparently it was at 80% capacity when we were there but when asked to guess I said 40%/50% - this is how spacious the resort is.

The highlight….monitor lizard spotting on the way to and from breakfast!! They’re huge!
Plus…the staff…really great!
The waving-off committee as we left - a nice touch.

Disappointed: I missed the crystal blue Thai seas. The water around PL is murky (although it was monsoon season, so stormy),

Would we return? Possibly but it’s a big wide world out there so I’ll probably just keep on exploring.

Room tip: Spa villa rooms have a separate no kids pool
Date of stay: November 2017