Brezza Hotel(Lumut)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$17
Ritz Inn Lumut(Lumut)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$23
US$22
US$41
US$38
GM Holiday Hotel Permai Jaya(Lumut)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$19
GM Holiday Hotel(Lumut)(Great Value!)
US$16
US$15
Admiral Hotel(Lumut)(Great Value!)
US$17
  • Room Service
US$44
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$59/night.

US$74
US$58
Galaxy Inn(Lumut)
  • Room Service
2,643 results
All reviewsemerald bayhill villaspa villagesea villaour honeymoonuncle limschapman's barprivate islandsunset cruisespa treatmentsmonitor lizardsjungle walkon stiltsjamu barfruit batsresidents packagemeal plan
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My wife and I have heard many good reviews of PLR and have always wanted to visit this 5-star resort at least once in our lifetime since it is well-known for its luxury, hospitality and its 1-island-1-resort concept which offers complete privacy. With the affordable all meals inclusive 3D2N package, it has realized our dream finally for our wedding anniversary celebration recently.

When we arrived at the waiting lounge at Lumut, we were greeted by friendly staffs. Refreshing welcome drink (a type of fruit juice) was served and the check in was completed at the lounge as well. We had our room upgraded successfully from graden villa to hill villa. My wife was amazed with their washroom located outside of the lounge yet very clean and air conditioned !

When it was about time to board the speed boat to the resort, we were escorted by the hotel staff to the jetty with our luggage handled by the hotel staff all the way to our room, completely carefree ! The journey to the resort island from Lumut jetty took about 30 minutes. Upon arrival, we were once again greeted with friendly and smiling faces of the hotel staffs. Wet towel was given and similar juice refreshment we had at the lounge was served. We were then attended by a courteous customer service staff, Yae, who briefed us about the resort, facilities and activities, restaurants and etc. spoke with strong Japanese accent.

The view from our balcony, overlooking the sea, resort jetty and and Pangkor island across the sea was truly breathtaking. The villa built on hill slope surrounded by rain forrest was undoubtedly a mother nature paradise for mind, body and soul rejuvenation. The villa was clean and complete with a bathtub, 2 separate washbasins, a toilet, a shower room and 2 huge wardrobes ! There is a flatscreen TV with some satelite channels for our watching pleasure. Aromatherapeutic 'joss stick' was provided to create the calming atmosphere in our room.

Since our package limited us to only 4 out of the 6 restaurants in the resort, we are only entitled to have meals in Feast Village, Uncle Lim's Kitchen, Royal Bay Beach Club and Chapman's Bar, unless we top up some $ for a feast in Fisherman's Cove or Jamu Bar. Unwilingly to fork out more, we decided to stick to the 4 choices, and fortunately these 4 restaurants did not disappoint us. Lunch at both Royal Bay Beach Club and Chapman's Bar, especially western course meals were sumptous and yummy. Daily buffet breakfast was served at Feast Village where there was not many choices (compared to other hotels & resorts I have been to). The most commendable restaurant in the resort is none other than Uncle's Lim Kitchen, which I have heard many good comments before I experienced and tasted the food myself. The dishes were perfectly cooked and tasted so delicious till we came back for our 2nd dinner the following day. One of my personal favourites by Uncle Lim's was the avacado cream with orange flavoured-sago, truly heaven ! The only weakness of Uncle Lim's was the long waiting time ... but I could not ask for more since I was here for relaxation and slower pace of life. However, the restaurant manager has acknowledged this on the first night and they have significantly improved during our 2nd visit for dinner.

Emerald Bay is also one of our reasons to be at PLR. The white sandy beach with smooth and fine sand delighted us and clear water was so inviting that I would feel sorry if I did not swim in the water. However, I did notice a food snack package bag floating on the water... hmm, something which the resort has to look into to keep the water clean at all time. My wife was bitten by some kind of insect and she only realized when she saw a red mark at her thigh. Fortunately, it was not serious and the mark disappeared after rubbing for short while. Despite that, we still had a good time at the bay. A bucket of cold bottled drinking waters was delivered to us when we reached out for our beach chair. Last but not least at the bay, we enjoyed the beautiful sunset before returning to PLR.

The infinity pool, jacuzzi, gym and sauna were some of the most attractive facilities to us. We did not try any treatment or massages at the award-winning Spa Village as the price was jaw-droppingly expensive ! For the price of a simple treatment here, I could afford 3-4 similar treatments at Bali which is no less professional than here, I believe.

Another downside of PLR was the occasionally long waiting time of the shuttle van for travelling from a point to another i.e. between PLR and Emerald Bay or Restaurants (Uncle Lim's or Fisherman's Cove). I would recommend more shuttle vans to run during peak hour i.e. sunset evening at Emerald Bay and dinner time.

My wife and I loved the idea of PLR which allows wild animals to roam freely in the island. We saw many hornbills, a few monitor lizards, monkeys and even peacocks ! Those peacocks even joined hotel guests for breakfast at Feast Village, very entertaining ! The staffs were very friendly and helpful, no question about their hospitality, one of the best I have even come across. Another pleasant surprise was the exquisite towel art (2 towels folded into 2 kissing swans forming a heart shape in-between) placed at the tub on the night of our wedding anniversary coupled with flower petals prepared in the tub for a romantic soak. My wife was completely delighted by this arrangement and it was truly a memorable one.

Check out was efficient and again, transfer of luggage bag from your room all the way to loading at jetty and back to the arrival lounge was handled by their staffs. We just need to collect it at the arrival/waiting lounge at Lumut.

All in all, we are very satisfied with PLR and will definitely return if we are looking for a short breakaway since it is merely a 3.5 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Arrive on weekdays and ask for room upgrade, you will find that it is easier to be upgraded on weekdays. Bring along insect repellant too !
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dalips, General Manager at Pangkor Laut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2011

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for taking the time to share a detailed experience of your recent stay. I am delighted to note that you had realised your dream at the "hidden gem to rejuvenate mind, body and soul". I have also taken note of your comments for improvement and will work together with our various departments concerned to make it an even more inspirational stay on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

My wife and I spent a week at Pangkor Laut in early July 2011. The transfer from KL airport was 4 hours which was longer than we thought, but very comfortable (arranged through Trail Finders). Apparently, a rival hotel group used to run a flight to the nearby Pangkor airport but stopped it last year, leaving the airport derelict. Car and speedboat is now the only way to get there.

The accommodation was fantastic ! We stayed in a beach villa which had a super-king sized bed, a dressing area with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, and a bathroom area with two sinks, a large shower, and a toilet. There was also an outside sunken bath. Heavenly !

The service throughout our stay was amazing - second to none. The staff were super-friendly and could not do enough to make us comfortable. The room boy was fantastic, spotting the travel iron and arranging for an iron and ironing board during the first few days of our stay. He even made a couple of dogs from towels and left them to greet us one evening, although we never worked out how he knew we had two dogs back home. The thought that he had browsed the photos on my iPad was too weird to contemplate so we put it down to coincidence.

There were two things, however, that really put a dampener on our stay.

Firstly, there were lot of families and large groups of people at the resort. The groups made the restaurants noisy at night and spoiled the romantic ambience that the resort had tried so hard to create. The families did similar as there always appeared to be a vocal child not far away in any of the restaurants, and on occasion by the pool although most families seemed to choose the beach as the sunbathing destination of choice, much to our relief ! The low points where when a Japanese family were put in the room next to us for one night, allowing their three young children and nanny (!) to run around on the hardwood floors at 7am, and the day an Irish family of nine took up the beds next to us at the pool and started firing water pistols as I read my e-book - iPads and water don't mix well !

Secondly, and most disappointingly, was the price of the food on the island which was not so much expensive as it was outright piracy ! As a captive audience, you have no choice other than to eat at the 3 restaurants available at the resort, which range from very expensive to completely outrageous. The food at Feast Village is the least expensive and we ate there 5 out of 7 nights. However, starters will average around £10, a Nasi Goreng (local fried rice dish) will cost about £20, and the seafood pasta will set you back about £40. The Chinese restaurant, Uncle Lim's, is average at best and definitely not as good as our local takeaway. An average bill for a large starter (for two), two main courses, and a bottle of wine was in excess of £100 (the wine was £30 of the bill). Fishermans Cove is the "fine dining" experience available to guests, and serves mainly seafood dishes. We didn't eat here due to the prices as we spotted a Sea Bass on offer for £70 on the way back from the Spa one evening. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I are fortunate, live a charmed existence, and occasionally eat at fine restaurants where you get what you pay for. This is not the case with any of the restaurants at Pangkor Laut. Alcohol will always be expensive in Muslim countries so you can't take that into account, but there is no excuse other than profiteering for the food prices on the island. We spent 3 days in KL after Pangkor Laut and paid a third of the price for food on average.

All-in-all, we enjoyed our stay on Pangkor Laut, but the high food prices and presence of families and large groups spoiled our stay and would make us think twice about returning.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for !
4  Thank GaryDJames

Thank you for your feedback. I am deligthed to note that you enjoyed your stay and that the service you received was second to none. Towel origami is one of the special features which our housekeepers are trained in and they are able to make various animal forms, therefore the co-incidence. I have also noted your feedback on areas for improvement and rest assured that we will be following-up on the details highlighted. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Pangkor Laut Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

We just came back from a 4 days 3 night stay at this resort. It's my wife's birthday present to me. The most wonderful present I ever had. I was treated like a king, not only from her, but from the staff members that served us. Miguell was very helpfull. Nik at the restaurant was always cheerful. Joe at Uncle Lim's arranged a special dinner. Housekeeping staff placed a touching birthday card on my bed. Mala crafted special 'animals' to greet us every day. The evening housekeeper prepared a special flower bath on the 9th, which was my birthday.and a small cake was arranged to be sent to my room. I have to bathe seven times that day - 4 times at the Spa! What a day day!!
We stayed at Sea Villa 105. Every moring we became tourist attractions ourselves. As we opened all windows, we attracted tourist small boats - full of tourist - who came very close, clicking their cameras at us, including me in my 'birthday suit' enjoying myself in the bathtub.

My wife enjoyed swimming at the Emerald Bay on the first day. But on the second day she was disappointed because there was a big trawler fishing vesel anchored right in the bay just next to the swimming 'line'. She was very upset because such activites were allowed in that prestine area. Imagine the amount of diesel splurted into the water.

Inspite of that we were both very happy and would certainly come back. Thanks to all the wonderful staff and their excellent service. I would like to come back and have a peacock dinner!

Room Tip: We do not know about other rooms but if you enjoy the sea breeze, take the Sea Viila
1  Thank yusbar

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to note that you had a memorable birthday stay and that Miguel, Nit, Joe and Mala made it special for your. The team was elated to hear of your feedback. I have noted your feedbackon the fishing trawler and will work with the local authorities to improve on this. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Our second visit to PLR was truly amazing - did not fail to impress us again. We were there end of May and this time we extended our stay to 4D3N, based on our first trip we knew we needed an extra night. We stayed at the upper level of the Garden villa but we prefer the lower level as it's more convenient (with 2 kids) and larger space distribution overall.

Realised that it was our second visit, and it was an occasion for us, the staff presented us with a cake at the dinner and complete with decorating the room with flower petals in the bath tub. All these small details truly made our stay memorable.

Food wise, all were great, nothing to complain. The food options were great. Even though we went to the same restaurant more than once for a meal, we never got tired with the choices and the standard of the food were consistent.

The service from the staff were top notch. Everywhere we went on the resort, the staff never failed to greet us and they were all great with the kids too. The Emerald Bay has one of the best beaches in the world. With Chapman's Bar situated right next to the beach, one can take a dip in the sea and come right up to have your lunch. No question on getting dehydrated as icy cold bottled mineral water were served throughout our whole stay.

The visit to PLR will not be complete without the experience at the Spa. And again, 2nd time still as great. Absolutely fantastic and felt totally refreshed after the experience. The prices for the products at the Spa Village were very affordable.

Would definitely make this destination as our yearly trip and I'm sure the next time it will be just as great, if not even more.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your return visit and I am delighted to note that you were impressed and had a wonderful stay with "top notch service". We certainly look forward to welcoming you back every year (or more then once a year) in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

We've just spent a week there, family of four, and we loved it.

Service is very attentive and pleasant, smiles everywhere. Maybe a couple of times our orders were mixed up, but such mistakes were swiftly corrected. People are warm and welcoming, often anticipating your wishes (ex: bringing you ice cold water often, without your asking for it, or an extra towel as you leave the pool).

The island is full of interesting flora and fauna, fascinating for nature lovers. We recommend taking the "jungle trek" with Prof. Yip as a guide. He gave as a two-hour master class on local plants and animals as we walked through an untouched section of the forest. During our stay we sighted monkeys, monitor lizards, several species of crabs, many exotic birds, all kinds of fish.

The food was great in the "fine dining" restaurant (deserves at least one Michelin star, if not two), also at the Chinese "Uncle Lim's", and at the Thai "The Straits". A pity that the Japanese place was only open for lunch, next to the Spa pool.

We had the best fried rice ever at the bar next to the beach. The place is simple but serves good food and provides great service as well.

I've read some of the criticism posted by other guests, but we had no such experiences to report, other than a couple of mixed orders swiftly corrected.

There are no TVs or internet in the rooms. To us, that was a blessing. Other people might miss that.

There are water sports activities available, but we preferred to relax in the sun and alternate between the great beach and the pools.

We had everything we wanted, and at a much better price than, for instance, the Maldives.

We highly recommend the resort and hope to return again in the future.

Room Tip: At the sea villas, the sound of the waves beneath them can be louder than we would like, when the sea is rough... Beach villas may be best.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank FernandoLanzer
Dalips, General Manager at Pangkor Laut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

Thank you for your feedback and support. I am delighted to note that you loved your stay and found it to be "Top of the world". We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Pangkor Laut Resort in the near future.