“Cheap and Cheerful.”

Ranked #53 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Sydney, Australia
“Cheap and Cheerful.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at the Lanai for 2 nights whilst visiting Langkawi. It was very cheap, good value for money but a bit out of the way. If you want to get to the main area of town you're best to get a taxi, as it's a long walk but taxis are cheap. If you do walk there is a plus side, there are plenty of bars with Happy Hours along the way!!!

The hotel is right on a beautiful beach with a great beach bar and cafe. The water sports seemed to be cheaper than on the main part of the town and it certainly was quieter.

The room was very basic, but just what we expected/wanted. Breakfast was great, lots of variety although there was no chilled water, only warm....not what you need after a night full of happy hours and intense heat!!

If your after a quiet, cheap get-away, this is the place for you. If you want to be in the thick of it with more bars and restaurants then stay in Cenang.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, although it was a little out of the way for me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was totally disappointed with the staffs at the ressort by showing double standards to their guests especially if you are local (and i mean Malaysian). I have booked for 2 nights stay (9 - 11 February 2012) at the resort with my parents and I have never felt SO ANGRY AND 2ND CLASS in my own country. The behaviour of the staffs at the resort is totally UNACCEPATBLE and here are the reasons why;

1) Reception staffs are very rude (with a look that indicates "you don't belong here") when attending to me for check-in but all smiles when a foreign guest tries to check-in at the same time.

2) While checking-in, I have asked the reception staff to check if they have rooms with king sized bed. A female staff answered in a unacceptable manner without making any effort to do a quick check by saying "I am the person who arranged all the rooms allocation, and if I say No means No, you don't understand?". How rude can you get??

3) One of the two rooms that we have been allocated has a faulty air-condition. I have asked numerous time for assistance to rectify the problem, and after more than 30 minutes there is still no solution. I went to the reception to get a room change and again one of the staffs responded to me in an unacceptable manner by point his finger at my faces and said "Look, I am doing you a favour for changing the room. Now, you want or don't want?". Shocked by how rude I was treated and it made me blew my top. If I have not paid for 2 nights stay there and most of the hotels are full, I would have just packed and leave!

4) Breakfast at the all-day-dining is another classic. As my parents and I were approaching the area, we were ignored while a foreign couple were greeted by the staffs with all smiles and they were shown to a table.

5) At the omelette making station (I am not sure if that is correct), the cooker only attend to foreign guests for their requests. A local guests like myself, was made to wait behind 2 foreign guests who came over later and get their omellettes before me. I was really annoyed!

6) When I tell the resort staffs of my grievances, and I want to speak to their management their classic response is "GM has left for his home town in Seremban, you can go complain on our website". Simply classic!

I honestly don't know if any other local holiday makers have stayed at that resort but all I can say is that I WILL NOT GO BACK THERE. Why should I pay similar price as other guests and be treated 2nd Class??? And the worst thing is in my own country by Malaysian.

Please treat everyone with respect especially they are your resort / hotel guests. I am very disappointed when such discrimination and I hope the resort management will take note and improve their staffs behaviour.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rymlee

Travellers are raving about these Langkawi hotels

Benfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The rooms at the Lanai are quite small and in need of redecoration an first thoughts was that we may move on after a few nights. However if you been to Langkawi you will know that there are not many hotels around this price. You either stay in a 5 star resort and pay £450 a night or stay in a hostel/traveller like accommodation for as little a £20 a night. We paid £55 a night and ended up staying there the whole 10 nights. Like others have said the location is not great if you want to go into Cenang every night but there are plenty of restaurants within a 5 min walk and a taxi to Cenang is 6 RM (not even £1.50). What more than makes up for it, is the stretch of beach it's on. For us this was the nicest and cleanest stretch of beach in both Tengah and Cenang and you could always get a sunbed with umbrella. Also the beach bar there is great place to watch the sunset with happy hours beers. The pool at the Lanai is also very very nice. Can't fault the maid service either as they changed the bed and towels every day even when we left the room early afternoon.

If the location doesn't bother you and you want to stay in a nice beach resort on a budget then give this place a chance. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cat1664
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here with extended family (our family of 4, and my parents), for 3 nights. We really liked the hotel, but probably wouldn't stay again due to its location so far from the main part of town (Cenang).

What we liked:
- fabulous pool - the kids loved it and there were plenty of sun lounges.
- friendly check-in staff, good housekeeping and large rooms - plenty of room for the 4 of us (we requested an extra bed when we arrived - 30ringit/night, which they brought straightaway). We found the rooms clean, light and airy, beds comfortable.
- the hotel is right on the beach, and the beach is gorgeous. Our kids had a fabulous time playing on it while we (parents and grandparents) watched on from the beachside restaurant.
- decent buffet breakfast, as it was included in the room rate. However if it hadn't been included we'd not have paid for it. I'd say it was adequate, but not exciting.

What we didn't like so much:
- with no lift and noone helping you with your luggage, we were lucky to have my husband to help my parents (in their 60's) carry suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. Same on check out - there is noone to help and if you are older or have heavy cases, you will have trouble.
- the food at the restaurant by the beach was over-priced and not very good. When you go to Malaysia in great part for the food, this is disappointing. Service was also quite bad... one meal we ordered at 2pm for 6 of us still hadn't come by 3:15pm... even though we were told a few times that it was on its way... we eventually told them not to bother and ended up having an early dinner elsewhere. Cocktails weren't very good.
- the location of this hotel is the primary reason we wouldn't stay again - there were rarely taxis outside, so we'd have to walk 5mins to the main road to find one. Having to get taxis in/out of Pantai Cenang to go out for meals/shopping etc wasn't ideal and we'd not stay here again because of the location. There just wasn't much around.
- finally, a small gripe, but on New Years Eve they charged guests a small fortune for the lanterns everyone was lighting up at midnight... hotels up the road (where we spent New Years Eve as the buffet meal at the Lanai was exhorbitantly priced) gave them to guests for free.

All in all a good hotel option if you don't mind being in a quieter area of Langkawi, and if you prefer a resort feel to that of a guesthouse.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

When we arrived, the staff at Lanai were really friendly and welcoming. At first the rooms appeared disappointing - out dated, tired and basic. But our room was quiet, clean and the bed was super comfortable. And really, when staying in a beautiful place like Langkawi, you don't hang out in the room anyway.

The pool, beach, beach bar, nearby islands and location were fantastic. There was a relaxed atmosphere and the breakfasts were actually pretty good.

We stayed at Lanai for 5 nights and then spent 3 nights at a boutique hotel that was 3 times the price. And on reflection, we wished we stayed at the Lanai the whole time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends