13 people are viewing this hotel
US$262
Free cancellation until 15/02/23
Reserve now, pay at stay
Priceline
Expedia.comUS$239
Hotels.comUS$239
Trip.comUS$221
1,728 results
All reviews reading room sands restaurant saffron restaurant private beach our honeymoon mangrove tour low tide adult pool sea view andaman sea in room dining white sand roti f b cable car breakfast spread renovation
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 February 2007

This was our second visit to the Tanjung Rhu, the first being last year. We found it to be the same wonderful chill-out place - the staff friendly and helpful and always with a cheerful smile. The location is just to die for, no other hotels nearby to spoil the incredible view or disturb the peace.

We felt, being picky, that it was just starting to look a bit 'tired' - the outside would benefit from a coat of paint and outside pool and beach furniture is looking a bit worse for wear. Having said that we found the food excellent and the all inclusive option added to the stress free environment

In the depths of an English winter there is no better place to be than by the Sunset pool with a cocktail in one hand and a good book in the other!! .

15  Thank MoirEngland
Reviewed 14 February 2007

Paradise Lost - and found! Ideal location, beautiful and very peaceful. Staff always polite, courteous, helpful and attentive - we weren't even allowed to lift a milk jug! Choice of 3 restaurants all very good - The Rhu was the best. Facilities/leisure - a variety of options including yoga, star gazing and sailing, all in keeping with the theme of the hotel. Not suitable for young couple seeking active holiday but there is always the option of a 3 hr bike ride if you have the energy or the inclination, if not, there is always the alternative of a taxi to town or places of interest. In addition to hairdressers and beauty salon the spa was an excellent place to be pampered.

Date of stay: February 2007
13  Thank Odyssey802777
Reviewed 7 February 2007

Just back from 11 nights at the hotel and thought that it was wonderful. My wife and I stayed in a Damai Room with a courtyard view. The room was very spacious and well equiped, good sized bathroom, plenty of wardrobe space, sitting area, flat-screen TV, DVD, Hi-Fi, coffee maker etc etc. The balcony was small, space for a table and two chairs and little else but this was more than enough for us. The balconys seem to be the same no matter what the room type. There are four floors in the hotel and I could not see any elevators, the top floors would be a bit of a climb after a tough day sunning yourself by the pool.

We upgraded prior to arriving to the "all-inclusive" option and this cost 300 Ringitts per night. I would definitely recommend this as it is great value. All food, at any time, in any outlet with all soft drinks, including in-room. The Rhu is the fine dining restaurant and dinner there would easily cost 400 Ringitts alone. The food was one of the highlights for us. Fantastic quality no matter where you eat, even the pool food is great. The hotel website provides all the menus and they are mouth-watering.

The spa treatments were good, however, they are pricey. Something that I have experienced in many five star hotels. But it is nice to spoil yourself and the staff know what they are doing and take their time. The gym was small but I never had to share with more than 1 other guest. For those who like to keep in touch, wireless connection is provided free in the reading room area and there are two free PC's to use at the reception area.

The hotel is about 30 minutes from the aiport with nothing near so it is ideal if you are looking for a very relaxing holiday. The beach is beautiful and the water is shallow and very warm. We took a trip around the mangrove swamps and it was very good. The hotel price is about 3 times that of the local agents so get some leaflets as you leave the airport or use your travel rep.

It was a great holiday, just what the doctor ordered after a very tough 2006 and if you are looking for total relaxation, great food and wonderful, friendly service then this is the hotel. One of the best I have ever stayed at for the total package and I hope to go back in the near future. I doubt that anyone would be disappointed.

22  Thank Toe-Knee
Reviewed 3 February 2007

Just back from two weeks at the Tanjung Rhu. having read all of the previous reviews I'll try not to repeat the same points other than to reiterate
*how good the staff were - unfailingly friendly and helpful
* the beach is superb with plenty of space
* you will never worry about finding a lounger here as there were loads. At last a hotel that has worked that one out!
*very good food

Instead I'll try to do two things, firstly gave you some tips if you are going which you may find helpful. Secondly I'll share the one doubt I have about this hotel so you can form your own judgement even if you disagree with me

Mosquito's. No bother. I was maybe bitten once or twice in the whole two weeks and never used repellent. Normally I have to. Amazing when you consider it is a mangrove swamp area

Resteraunts. You really do need to book 3/4 days in advance if you want one of the best outside/beachside tables. In the Rhu ask for table 13 for just about the best view in the place

All inclusive. Having spent two weeks there without going elsewhere much to eat/drink I think it is worth it. Remember it includes minibar and beach/poolside drinks - all except alchohol. I would do it this way again unless I was planning on travelling about

Drinks. Surprising reasonable - 32rm for a maitai and a beer. happy hour is 630 to 730 . Moet is 350rm. Watch for the wine list which begins with the champagnes and the chambertin but becomes more reasonable as you move towards the back

Internet. Strangely there is no access in the room - but - the reading room signal seems strong enough if you are in a Damai courtyard room. I have lots of sympathy with the idea of never seeing an email for two weeks but if you do need to do a bit of work then it the reading room has a good connection. However they switch it off at midnight but go and ask and someone will turn it on for you

The doubt ? I really liked the hotel and had a very good holiday. It did however seem to be a different hotel the first week we were there than the second due to the tail end of school holidays. There were certainly lots more kids there the first week and all that this can entail. The Hotel has - I believe - a policy of limiting children and combined with the "tranquil enclave" line used you might be attracted here for a bit of peace. However kids are entitled to a good holiday -its not fair to expect them to do the "peace and tranquility " bit in my view - but equally its not a cheap hotel. Having paid thousands of pounds/dollars you may not feel that children playing in the pool,etc goes along with a tranquil enclave The Four Seasons next door has a child free area and pool which i think accomodates everyone a bit better than the Rhu deals with this. Even after two weeks there I am not sure whether the TR is intended for sophisticated adults or for family's

That said it was still a highly enjoyable stay

19  Thank David S
Reviewed 3 February 2007

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Tanjung Rhu and wished we had stayed longer, our 5 night stay was the final part of a multi centre holiday.
Everything about the Tanjung Rhu was perfect, we arrived at the airport and were immediatley collected by the hotel's chauffer driven limo.
On arrival at the hotel we were taken up to our room for check-in (rather than at reception), which was a nice touch, the hotel had given us a free upgrade from a damai room (standard room) to a Cahaya room which was very spacious.
We stayed on the all inclusive package, which is well worth the money...you can eat at all three restaurants, including The Rhu which is the hotels fine dining restaurant ( bookings need to be made as soon as you arrive! ), the mini bar and in room dining is also included in this package, the only thing that you need to pay for is alcohol ( which isn't bad considering that the cocktails are only about £2 to £3 each).
The beach is outstandingly beautiful, during low tide you are able to walk along a sand bar to the lime stone cliffs facing the hotel....Great watersports provided at the beach, we went kayaking most days and also learnt to sail a hobie cat around the bay.
The hotel has 3 swimming pools, 2 of which are very big, the atmosphere around the pools seemed to be very peaceful and relaxing...there are jellyfish in the sea, perhaps one of the reasons why the hotel has 3 swimming pools.
During our stay we hired one of the hotels convertible Peugeots for the day, which we would highly recommend, we drove around the whole island ( which was extremley beautiful). We paid a visit to the Datai, and I personally prefer the Tanjung Rhu!
While driving along you also get to see lots of gangs of naughty monkeys (Macaques) along the roadside...I'm not sure how friendly they are!
We also booked a visit to Pulau Payar marine park through the hotel, this was an excellent snorkelling trip, the marine park took about 1hr30mins to get to by Ferry but was well worth the journey- some very pretty fish to view whilst snorkelling, as well as big barracoudas and some reef sharks. A nice lunch was also provided.
The hotels spa is wonderful and we made daily visits!! The traditional Urat-Malay massage followed by a hot stone massage was total bliss...my only complaint is that the spa is open air and can be a bit noisy. This was our only minor gripe- having come from the Shangri La Rasa Ria in Sabah, Borneo where the Spa was amazing and indoors, the benefits of the indoor Spa was clear- no noise, and total tranquility, whereas at Tanjung Rhu, you could hear motorbikes, as well the odd guest walking from the bar/pool area to their room. This was only a minor gripe though, as the therapists and their treatments were very top class.
A visit to the Reading Room is a perfect way to end an evening, sip cocktails while the string duet and pionist play beautiful music, overlooking the beach.

The Tanjung Rhu was a fantastic hotel, and we hope to return one day!

25  Thank Rodfather_46