All reviews the club lounge weekend break macaroons designer stores great hotel tallest building moment you arrive real luxury main restaurant perfect stay perfect service the ground floor views of the mountains guest rooms high class rooms are huge nice gym
Reviewed 11 August 2018

So, why Kazakhstan, why Almaty, and why the Ritz Carlton? The answer to the first two questions comes from a quote from Mark Twain: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

The choice of the Ritz Carlton was more straightforward: who wouldn’t want to stay at a Ritz Carlton? I am of course aware that Ritz Carltons get reviewed all the time. I, however, have never reviewed a Ritz Carlton. In most instances, they are much alike in the sense that they have an expected level of service and accommodations, from which they rarely depart.

The Ritz Carlton in Almaty was the first stop during our Central Asian visit and it came after a lengthy series of flights from the US. We expected a Ritz Carlton and we were surprised to find something more. The staff was, of course, knowledgeable, polite, and accommodating. What I believe set them apart was their genuine desire to be friendly, helpful, and inquisitive towards foreign travelers, especially Americans. The staff was certainly not intrusive, but they were some of the most engaging and interesting people we encountered. To us, it appeared that their goal was to make certain that we not only left the Ritz Carlton with a favorable impression, but that we also left Kazakhstan and Central Asia with a favorable impression. We did, and it was the result, in part, because of the staff at the Ritz Carlton.

Any other positive reviews regarding this Ritz Carlton regarding its location, rooms, spa, facilities, or restaurants, is likely to be very accurate. Nothing failed to rise to the level of the positive reviews about this property. My only addition would be the breakfast. We do not value the breakfast “experience” as much as other travelers. Generally speaking, we don’t comment on breakfast because we find them to be somewhere between nondescript and expensive. The breakfasts at the Ritz Carlton were neither. They were as interesting, well prepared, and tasty as anywhere we have been in the world. The variety of locally sourced food was overwhelming. Everything was fresh, everything was well described, and the on-site chefs were as good as I have ever experienced. I had a quail egg omelette that was simply and perfectly prepared. We enjoyed fresh baked breads and local jams and honey, all of which the staff could explain in great detail. I was truly impressed.

I hope that people will take Mark Twain to heart and travel to places which are slightly off the beaten path. If you do, and I hope you will, make certain to reserve a stay at the Ritz Carlton in Almaty. It will leave you with a wonderful first impression of Central Asia.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2018

The rooms in this hotel are good, the breakfast is sumptuous and has a very large variety of food to choose from. I have stayed here a few times earlier and the only inconvenient thing I find about this hotel is the reception on the 30th floor. You have to change lifts from ground to the reception floor and from there take another to the rooms.

Great views from the room as well as the reception lobby.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Can G, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Dear imranahmad2017,

We thank you for the feedback provided, we appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. Please be sure that your comments are valuable for us and taken into consideration.

Thank you for choosing our hotel, and we look forward to welcome you back at The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty!

Can Goktas,
The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty

Reviewed 18 July 2018

We enjoyed our stay at the Ritz-Carlton a lot. The staff was exceptionally helpful and attentative especially at the reception and the Club Lounge. The spa was very nice and impecibally clean. The restaurant was a bit pricey but the food was excellent.

We only stayed one night so did not have the time to get used to the unusal lift situation (2 lift areas, only one reaches the floors with the guest rooms).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing west as may be noise from cars in the parking lot, testing their subwoofers at full amplitude.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2018

The layout of the hotel is in keeping with many newer hotels taking central floors in skyscraper towerblocks, which is is inconvenient but understandable. Unfortunately the ground floor entrance also feels cramped, especially near the lift area. Once you reach the reception, all can be forgiven. The reception area is spacious and elegant, with fine views over the city to the mountains beyond.

The rooms meet Ritz-Carlton worldwide standard except in one important respect. I was in a room with a connecting door, and it was most unpleasant to hear sexual activity next door on the first night of my stay. I had had a similar problem in the Ritz-Carlton Astana where I could hear conversation next door. It is clear that the group’s hotels in Kazakhstan do not have double doors or adequate soundproofing between connecting rooms, so these rooms should be avoided.

Another noise problem surfaced at 11pm on my second night, when It seemed as if drilling for building works had commenced upstairs. The reception promptly sent a handyman to investigate the problem and he quickly pointed to the glass window and said “zzzzt?”. When I nodded vigorously, the explanation was “musica”. Colleagues in a different room had a similar experience at a different time. It appears that loud music from concerts on the street below, or adjoining rooms, make the huge glass windows vibrate! I am very surprised by this as I have not experienced it in any other glass-walled office or hotel that I have stayed in.

In short, my stay was less restful than it should have been in a Ritz-Carlton. I have been a regular and happy client in their Beijing hotel, but would hesitate before booking another stay with the hotels in Kazakhstan.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a connecting door, there is no soundproofing between these rooms.
Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2018

We had gone to celebrate a milestone birthday. Frankly we wouldn’t even have gone to Almaty if we hadn’t got a reservation at the Ritz Carlton.
Pros
- They gave us an upgrade to a corner suit..we could see the hills and the city in one view.
- we were greeted with so many chocolates and cakes to make the occasion special for us
- the heated bathroom floor was a blessing
- Complimentary wifi
- The mall next door and the starbucks just below the hotel was great
- Hotel staff were helpful in arranging the sightseeing and taxi facilities for us. They also suggested great places to go dine, shop etc. in the city
- The Spa and the restaurants were a delight including the indoor pool

Cons
- Service was really slow. Since our suite was a corner one maybe.
- The audio/tv system need to be checked since they were not linked from bedroom and the living room. We couldn’t plug in the their video or our devices to it
- There automation needs an upgrade. The automation system has its own blue light that just cannot be switched off. This really bothered us at night. The night lights could also not be operated from the automation system – it would switch on/off all lights.
- The wash basin area in the bathroom was too small to accommodate the toiletries even for 2 people. There wasn’t even enough space to keep the hotel towels.

Room Tip: Corner view
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Can G, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Almaty, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Dear travelw1985,

Thank you for sharing your impressions and concerns. I’m both glad to hear there were positive attributes about your visit and sorry to learn that your expectations were not met, please do accept my apologies for the inconveniences you have unfortunately faced. I would like to personally make sure that no other guest finds himself in a similar situation. Rest assured that we will take the necessary measures to prevent this sort of inconveniences from reoccurring.

Might you travels bring you back to Almaty it would be our genuine pleasure to welcome you again and take the opportunity of restoring your trust in us.

Can Goktas,