Open today: 09:00 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Interesting Shrine

A second cousin to the more popular shine it is worth walking up the long set of stairs to see the... read more

Reviewed 25 October 2018
williamsM29HU
Kobe, Japan
via mobile
Nice Shinto Shrine - very near to the Dogo Onsen

Reviewed 31 July 2014
FelixVanVugt
Utrecht, The Netherlands

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

Isaniwa Shrine is located on the top of a small hill, and you have to go up many steps to reach there. It is maybe a good exercise. As I visited, there was no other visitor. It is nice to walk around in a quiet shrine.

1  Thank kimitakas
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

You need to walk up high which I was a bit scared. There's nothing much. Only 15 minuites to cover the whole area.

Reviewed 1 October 2015

Isaniwa Shrine is ordinary shinto shrine with nice old wood carvings. In Matsuyama there are more interesting places like Dogo onsen, castle and Ishiteji temple. So if you visited all those sights and have some more time only than I recommend to visit Isaniwa.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

Literally a must see for those doing the 88 temples. The temple itself is smaller and felt less cared for than some I have visited.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were lucky enough to visit this Shrine just as a religious event was happening. Japanese people (many with their kids) were there to do a ritual (three times through a torii, bowing and clapping in the shrine, recieving some sort of grace, a piece of paper and a reed. We were invited by the Japanse to join them in the ceremony so we did. :) I really like the relaxed way the Japanese experience and share their religious habits.

The shrine itself was also quite nice, and well worth the hike op the steep staircase.

1  Thank FelixVanVugt