See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

My stay at the hotel was nice. It was 25,000¥ 250$USD to stay for night it was a bit of an odd hotel. Clean room and nice design but I would say that I expected more from the room for such a price. Everything in the hotel was relatively over priced. I ordered a normal sized cola for a whopping 600¥ which is 6$ USD (What a rip off!). Service in the hotel was kind of slow and the people working at the hotel were not able to speak English much. The view from my hotel room and the restaurant was very nice. I had to ask 3+ times for an ice water.
This is a good place to stay if you are with your girlfriend / boyfriend.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
アゴーラ, Front at Agora Fukuoka Hilltop Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Thank you for a review.

We will improve the service of all our staff in the future.
And I would like to be a hotel that will satisfy our customers.

Reviewed 30 July 2015 via mobile

I can't say how much I enjoyed the atmosphere of this hotel. The most incredible view, big room, well tought modern but still cozy decorations, exquisite food. The service was impecable, specially the attention of Ms. Kimoto, who is very fluent in english, and the chef who went out of his way to make me apreciate japanese food. The onsen and the calm and green surroundings where a big relief after hot summer days sightseeing in a very bustling city.
If you stay here the only thing you must have in mind is that it is at least 25 minutes uphill away for downtown. The hotel have some shuttle service that works very well, in fact the only improvment I could suggest is that they should have more shuttles during the week, from 9:00 until 11:00 and 17:00 until 22:00.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
アゴーラ, front at Agora Fukuoka Hilltop Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

Thank you for a review.

All the staff are very happy to have you satisfied.
The hotel takes about 30 minutes by car from Hakata station.
A special shuttle bus is available from Hakata station.
Please use this bus by all means.

Reviewed 8 January 2015

Stayed 3 nights at Agora Hilltop, and enjoyed every minute going to the onsen baths every night.

The lobby is trendy, and the Japanese room I booked had great sweeping view of Fukuoka city. Hotel may be far from the Hakata or the Nakasu places of activity, but it more than made up with its free parking and great vistas.

Hotel may not be to everyone's liking, as ultimately, it is a destination wedding and banquet hotel, but it also offered something different from the other usual hotels with an onsen facility and great views.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are split on 2 different wings, with one wing below the lobby level, and the other above the main lobby level. Had a tatami room facing Fukuoka city on Level 6, which was the top level.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
アゴーラ, Reservation at Agora Fukuoka Hilltop Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2015

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and for spending some of your time in writing your wonderful comment.
We are glad your stay with us was comfortable and that you have been satisfied about our facilities of Public Hot Bath.
We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Warmest regards,

Agora Fukuoka Hilltop Hotel & SPA

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This place is on a hilltop that overlooks all of Fukuoka. It is extremely prime real estate. The only problem is, the hotel started out with a great facility but for got to update it since the last 30 years. It is nice on the outside, clean on the inside, but way in the need of facility updates. The view is unbelievable though. It is hard to believe that a location like this is left to go to waste. It has a huge amount of potential. It is extremely secluded as it is at the end of the road at the very top of a small mountain.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TeufelHundenguy
アゴーラ, front at Agora Fukuoka Hilltop Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2016

Thank you for a review.

Thank you for valuable opinion.
I will make it a better hotel as a reference.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very rare and unusual poor hotel experience in Kyushu Island (Southern Japan). Truly disappointed so we want to share our experience for a possible change in attitude and service for this September 2013 re-opened, 1967 vintage property overlooking the city of Fukuoka.

We had booked our double room for a 3-nights stay (in on Tuesday November 26, out on Friday November 29) via Expedia. We checked in after landing around 11:00am knowing well in advance that check in time was 4:00pm - after beeing greeted, partially checked in (we learned that afterwards) and explained some (but not all) of the facilities of the hotel, we asked if we could leave our lugagge in storage while we went on to discover the city.

We returned to the hotel around 5:30pm the same day to be shown (by front desk staff) a room with one bed and one pillow with a completely obstructed view (by trees and shrubs). Clearly not what we had booked. We were then showed a second room with 2 beds, 2 pillows and a nice city / sea view. As the clerks returned to the room with our lugage they explained that this room was available but at a higher rate that the one we purchased on Expedia (prepaid). For 4,000 Yens per person per night we could stay there. Quite curiously, after we refused to pay anything more, the clerk than tried a "OK, we would take 2,000 Yens per person per night and we leave you sleep there!" almost as in a bargain barter style.

I must say that while in some other countries it could have been a remote possibilty, in Japan it is absolutely amazing. We refused to pay or agree to pay any more than the published rate we bought for our stay on Expedia. Actually as we checked Expedia web site 2 days before for the trip to print the exact address for the taxi from the airport, we noticed that the room rate we booked had been loweredsince our booking. But "c'est la vie" we did not make any changes.
The staff left the room telling us they would report to management who would then decide what to do with us. A few minuted later, we received a call in the room (we had not touched any towel, did not sit on the beds, did not open any window) and they informed us that they decided we could stay in that room at no extra charge for the duration of our stay.

We had built our own a sightseeing program to visit the city of Fukuoka and 2 other towns (Beppu / onzen city in Kyushu Island and Nagasaki) so we left the hotel by 8:00am every morning without eating breakfast (the breakfast room was located, we learned later, on a different floor than the expensive japanese retsaurant on the lobby level (closed for breakfast).

The last day, we had opted for a leisurely "in hotel hot spring spa" after waking up to be followed by breakfast. As we arrived at the restaurant, we were told by an English speaking staff that it was too late. We understood but we asked to see the menu for food selection and prices. The same person told us that there was no menu and prices to check since it was free of charge and included in our room rate *(Expedia site did not describe this nice feature and, at check in it was not divulged either). To top it all, the staff person with a sort of American TV serie accent said: "Yeah, it sucks to learn you have been taking advantage of". If you know Japan, this is truly amazing (I have traveled to Japan over 25 times in a period of 18 years for business and leisure in all 4 main islands and most first and second tier cities - I have never experienced this).

When we checked out at 11:00am as per the hotel rule we asked for the luggage to be stored away while we visited some more of the city of Fukuoka. We did complained to the front office staff about the lack of information about the breakfast schedule (they opened at 7:00am every morning so we could have enjoyed breakfast instead of rushing out to a train station coffee and croissant on the go) and about the "poor quality language used in the restaurant". They took note of it.

We returned to the hotel around 5:30pm that day to collect our luggage and proceed to Fukuoka airport. We were met with a higher ranking front office manager and the breakfast restaurant manager (I speak 5 languages nut I confess not Japanese) - they told us that the restaurant person was Korean (which I somehow doubt), they were horrified by the choice of words, they were sorry that at check in no one explained the fact that the breakfast was included while they spent a long time trying to extract more money per room.
They were hoping we would return soon and tell all our friend show nice the hotel was (the property is nice - the hotel was 20% occupied as we were told by front office staff) but no offer of a cup of tea not to mention a glass of wine while we waited for a taxi to pick us up to "make up for the loss of prepaid breakfast service"..

We were escorted and sent off "Japanese style" by 3 members of the front office.

I know this was a long decription but I had to share as it is so "un-Japanese" behaviour. We shall possibly return to Fukuoka but surely never to any "Agora" group property.

Regards.

Reservation made under: KIM, Ginam
I am Paul M. Van Halteren

Room Tip: Maske sure your room rate is confirmed in the room category you booked. Rooms on Floor 4, 5 and 6 have unobstructed city and sea view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank PaulVanHalteren

Thank you for a review.

I will consult a lot of opinions.
From now on I will make more effort and make good service to customers..