All reviews welcome drink massage chair private bath beautiful japanese garden one night shabu shabu japanese ryokan train station koi pond public onsen kaiseki dinner open air bath fantastic ryokan free snacks luxury ryokan western style tatami style
Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

As written in many ratings the food is very good and the service is friendly and polite. Everything is clean. The room rate is relatively expensive with 600 US for 2 guests considering what other Japanese Ryokan offer in this class. This doesn't mean the room is small but just "different" than others in this class!The location is quite remote and the garden is partially still under construction. Comparing with other top Ryokans and considering this minor points "only" a rating of very good. But very recommendable when visiting Nikko.

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank bixierg
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Nikko soon!

Reviewed 28 November 2016 via mobile

Of course everyone has different expectations and experiences, but if you want somewhere quiet, relaxing, helpful - this place certainly delivered for us! The hotel emailed us a week or so before to arrange our bus transfer to hotel from the station. We were met from our train and arrived at the hotel where we had a welcome drink and a snack. Someone then talked us through (in English) everything we could do in the area, shuttle bus times and how to buy a bus ticket for the area. They told us the bus stops to use and recommended some hiking trails.

We were then shown our room. It was out of this world, tatami mats, futon bed and our own hot bath on the balcony. Minibar (pay) was well-stocked and there is a vending machine in the lobby. Tea and coffee in the room. We were shown the public baths too.

We put on the pyjamas supplied by the hotel and chilled out for 2.5 days. One day hiking in the mountains, the best visiting the shrines. The shuttle bus was excellent for getting around and the driver said we should ring for a lift. We didn't as it was a short 10 min walk from the bus stop.

It's very easy to get around Nikko and the surrounding area. If you're looking to experience some Japanese food this is a great place to try. Although food on our third night wasn't as good as first/second.

All in all a superb visit. Thanks Okunoin staff!!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2016

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay Ryokan with us and we always strive to ensure that our guests enjoy every moment of their time with us.

Thank you for your kind words about our front office team. As guests enjoy this Nikko, we will help to the fullest. The whole team are honoured to help in every way and we're so pleased to hear that we help guide you with a little local knowledge.

Your comments are appreciated and we do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in late October.
I really have to praise their service. They have a shuttle to pick up customers within Nikko, you just need to call them. It was raining on the day, their shuttle showed up promptly to pick us up. They even agreed to give our guide a ride to the train station, while picking up other customers there. Once we arrived, we were showered with warm friendly service and attention were paid to every detail. Most of the staff can understand basic English. So there's no problem in communicating.

The hotel itself was very elegant. Absolutely clean. Not the newest but it has a warm feeling throughout the place. Our room has a terrace, but unfortunately we couldn't use it much since it was a rainy night. We let in some bugs by opening the windows and they brought in a very effective yet very neat bug extinguisher. It had no smell, no noise and very small. Very interesting.

Meal was very very yummy. We booked a all girls plan so we had dinner served in room.

Their big bath (大浴場)is nice and a must try. But you should also try their rental private bath (貸切風呂). It's very tranquil and so relaxing.

Fall foliage was peaking at the time and the scenery was totally beautiful.

When we checked out, they provided us with all the details and tips to make it most easy and convenient for us to go on with our journey.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela H
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

Dear. Guest

So happy that you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for taking the time to let us know.

As you commented, we have shuttle bus service from hotel to "World Heritage area" & "Tobu station" or "JR nikko station". Shuttle bus service (from PM2:00 to PM7:00) pick you up after your call.

"Onsen" the one of the Japanese culture in Japanese Ryokan. In addition because you had you enjoying the "Onsen" is a traditional Japanese culture, I am happy.

We were glad to have welcoming you in the best season(autumn) in Nikko. The whole team are honoured to help in every way and we're so pleased to hear that we help guide you with a little local knowledge.

Look forward to meeting you guys and your family soon!

Reviewed 22 November 2016

This is my third experience at a ryokan, and my husband and I were excited to have my two kids experience the bliss of staying in one. I was very disappointed.

Service and welcome pale in comparison to the two other ryokans we had stayed at. We probably arrived at a bad time, (we were 4 hours early for check-in) so they did not seem prepared nor happy to welcome us. We asked them for recommendations for restaurants nearby that we could eat lunch at, they gave us a map, to figure out ourselves. The room was ok, again nothing like those i'd previously experienced; yukatas were old, nothing like the crisp and great smelling ones of other ryokans. The kaiseki dinner was good although I had expected that every dish would be explained, and that we would be treated to an interesting story or detail about the dish as each one was served. Instead, dinner was served in three stages - all appetizer and sashimi in one go, shabu shabu one the next go, dessert last - and we were left to figure out from the menu which dish was what. Unless we had asked questions, the lady did not care to explain, and when she obliged, she did so in japanese, addressing only my son's girlfriend who is only beginning to learn the language (in preparation to becoming a japanese-speaking lawyer).

I had failed to indicate in my email our preference for a western breakfast, but made sure I specified this preference when we spoke to the person assigned to us during our check-in. They served us a Japanese breakfast, and when we requested for a change, they were firm in their insistence that they were not going to be able to accommodate us. We tried to explain, and again, they preferred only to listen to and speak to my son's friend, in Japanese, and did not make one effort to try to rectify the situation. When I requested to speak to someone in English, the gentleman we were speaking to literally waved me off, and said there was no one who could speak English. He was very very offensive.

This ryokan experience was a very unpleasant surprise for me. My two previous ones were pure bliss - beautiful surroundings, spotlessly clean facilities, staff that were so willing and keen to make us feel not only welcome, but special. This ryokan and its staff certainly give the unique japanese ryokan experience a very very bad name.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Our goal is to provide a warm and hospitable ambiance for all our guests and I am sorry we were not able to fully meet your needs. That is because of a lack in our speek english understanding. We apologize that my English is not enough.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa. We assume that it is an item for future improvement.

Reviewed 5 November 2016

Excellent Traditional Japanese Ryukan though modern and classic altogether.
Superb food and service either in your own room which I recommend or in the beautiful restaurant overlooking the scenery
and a perfect "onsen" with all the amenities.
Furthermore beautifully situated and calm in the touristic pearl of Nikko

Room Tip: Différentes donc au choix de chacun
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard B
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

We are very happy and proud that you liked the hotel, our hospitality, Japanese food, room environment. We take great pride in offering our guests memorable experiences complete, and I'm so proud to hear that we did just that.

I really hope that we can welcome you back again soon.