All reviewswelcome drinkmassage chairprivate bathbeautiful japanese gardenone nightshabu shabujapanese ryokantrain stationkaiseki dinnerpublic onsenkoi pondconvenient shuttlefree snacksopen air bathluxury ryokanwestern styletatami style
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

This was our first and only experience of a ryokan so can't compare to others.
The staff were incredibly polite and helpful - nothing was any trouble.
The setting is beautiful and the private onsen was amazing.
The food was exquisite although a traditional Japanese breakfast can be challenging for Western palates.
It was easy to get to Lake Chuzenji and Yumoto Onsen by bus and we did it all in a day.
I wouldn't spend more than two nights here, just because there's a feeling of being captive, but that might just be me.
It's only an hour or so from Tokyo and is a lovely contrast.
Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elvis147
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2016

Thank you so much for such a great review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed such a fantastic experience Japanese Ryokan. We truly pride ourselves on our hospitality and personalised service, and so it is brilliant to see that we exceeded your expectations.

'Nikko area' you will arrive in 2hours by train from Tokyo. You can discover the good old Japan here. You can discover the good old days and traditional Japanese here. And you can also enjoy nature at the same time.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

We stayed two wonderful nights and it was one of the best experiences we had on this trip. The outdoor onsen was great but the one in the room was out of the world. The room was spacious and we were very satisfied with the amenities. I loved the roasted barley tea given outside the onsen and the milk in the morning was also delicious.
The breakfast and dinner served in our room were fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank AdelineWWW
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

I'm happy that you enjoyed room environment, outdoor bath and dining experience Japanese dishes. We are happy that you are very satisfied with Ryokan.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

We stayed for 2 nights with our daughters, ages 4 and 6. We had a ground floor room with a private bath. It was wonderful. Girls lived in the 'hot tub' and in-room automated massage chair. My wife and I enjoyed the pleasant staff, comfortable beds (nothing like the futons I dreaded in college) and the ease of navigating the surrounding area. It's a bit far from town if you don't have a rental car (we did), but I believe they can support with shuttle and taxis. Meals we're very impressive and beautifully prepared, though some of the many, many courses were a bit bland while others were truly delicious.They are very accommodating about allowing guests to bring in their own food and drink which saved us a good deal of money on sake and beer.

Room Tip: Private bath was a pleasure.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa.

We are glad to know that you and your family had a comfortable stay in our place. I'm happy that you enjoyed an private open‐air bath, hospitality and dining experience Japanese dishes.

As you commented, we have shuttle bus service from hotel to "World Heritage area" & "Tobu station" or "JR nikko station". Shuttle bus service pick you up after guest call.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

From the first greeting to help with leaving train schedules, this hotel was the epitome of courtesy, friendliness and comfort. The multi-course meals were the best Japanese food we encountered on our two-week tour of Japan, and that includes some Michelin-starred restaurants in Tokyo and Kyoto. Not only that, but the chef made delicious accommodations for one of us with a fish allergy -- no small task with traditional food. We had a room with the option of futons or Western-style beds, because we weren't sure if we would be comfortable on the former, but we ended up preferring the futons. The private bath ovelooking a serene garden was a haven after touring the spectacular complex of Nikko temples and shrines in the heat of high summer. Those temples are all within a 20 minute slightly hilly walk of the hotel, which was convenient for us; but the hotel will happily convey you to and from the start of the temple trail if you want to conserve your strenghth for that part of your tour. The staff speaks limited English but was so friendly that communicarion was seldom an issue -- and when it was the owner, who is quite fluent, was able to step in (such as helping me find an ATM machine after I used most of my cash in the historical area and needed more for train tickets).
This hotel might look expensive, but as luxury hotels go, it was worth every yen!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank GardenGourmet781
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2016

Thank you for your stay with us and taking time to give us your comments about your stay on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy and proud that you liked the hotel, our hospitality, Japanese food, room environment(private open air-bath). We take great pride in offering our guests memorable experiences complete, and I'm so proud to hear that we did just that.

Look forward to meeting you and your family soon!

Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

We have stayed in this fantastic Ryokan with family, our two 8 and 10 boys for two nights.

Room 101, with private outside bath and full dinner and breakfast served in private dining room.

The room is more an apartment, 100% old Japan style with futons taken care of when we were out. View from every corner is onto the surrounding gardens and water ponds.

Japanese dinners were truly an experience, a feast of flavour, colour and elegance served with attention to the minimum detail.

Once you checked in the friendly staff will provide you with yukatas - summer kimonos for the whole family to go around the riokan. Our kids were so enthusiastic : )

The outdoor onsen is lovely, surrounded by a small garden. Just keep in mind that men and women go separated. If you do not get a room with private bath you can always reserve a private bath in a smaller outdoor area.

Okunoin, for us, is the essence of Japan hospitality and a royal treat!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Bodudus
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

We are glad to know that you and your family had a comfortable stay in our place. A ryokan is for travelers who wish to experience Japanese culture and enjoy the comforts of Japanese hospitality and service, Japanese Dishes. Ryokans are only available in Japan and it is an experience not to be missed. We are happy that you are very satisfied with that.

Look forward to meeting you guys and your family soon!