Ryokan
Mount View Hakone(Hakone-machi)(Great Value!)
US$310
Hakone Manatee(Hakone-machi)
Free cancellation until 30/07
US$604
US$510
Fuji-Hakone Guest House(Hakone-machi)(Great Value!)
US$174
Gora Tensui(Hakone-machi)
US$524
US$356
Trip.com
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$449/night.

Fukuzumiro Ryokan(Hakone-machi)
Hakone Hotel(Hakone-machi)
US$966
US$557
Ryokan
Tonosawa Ichinoyu Honkan(Hakone-machi)(Great Value!)
US$236
US$188
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$226/night.

Gora Kadan(Hakone-machi)
US$1,138
Orbitz.com
All reviewsfoot massagegora stationdouble bedhot springsmeal timesstayed longerbit datedjapanese stylefree shuttlemt fujimouldcablecarhakonebathstaxiyukata
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Nothing to complain about. Excellent service. Splendid french inspired food.
Yukata (kimono) to wear when visiting the onsen. WiFi in the room. And for the temperature - it was possible to open the windows and get some real fresh air.
Though the hotel is a bit worn it is still worth a stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I stayed here with trepidation after reading previous reviews. Had nothing to worry about. Hotel in a very quiet safe leafy area. Reception and wait staff went above and beyond being helpful. Explanation was given to how things work in the Hotel and given a list of where to find everything. Not modern but not old, had a great feel to it. My room was very clean and tidy. Shower pressure excellent. Bed very comfortable. I brought my own pillow. In the room was a freshly laundered Yukata to wear down to Hot Spring Baths along with slippers.

Hot Spring Baths were fantastic after a big day of sightseeing. Very clean and had all the supplies needed for a shower prior etc. Used both the bath inside and outside. Complimentary breakfast was served next morning overlooking a beautiful leafy view and was more than filling. Consisted of a choice of fresh juices,tea, 2xsausages, smooth potato mash, large salad, 2 x toasted cheese thick bread, fresh soft egg with bacon bits on top. I enjoyed it very much and very filling. There were serveral choices of breakfasts to order when booking in the night prior.

Bonus of being only a beautiful 10 minute walk from second stop of the cablecar. So with Hakone Pass made use of seeing Mt Fuji twice. Spectacular. Gora itself just beautiful. Visited Gora park just 10-12 minutes from accommodation. Just Lovely. Wish I had stayed longer so I could have gone to outdoor museum. For $150.00 a night including use of Hot Spring Baths and breakfast thought this was great value for money in this area.

Dinner reservation booking needs to be made day prior.

Room Tip: On bookings.com you can ask for a preferred room. I had the top floor with a small window overlooking the mountain side.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

The hotel was old but beautiful, settled amongst a beautiful landscape I felt in special.
Then I met the staff.
Treated poorly, not given any direction within the hotel itself.
Refused access to their own restaurant and refused other services such as their in house massaging.
After paying for the accommodation before I had even arrived in Japan, I was not allowed to leave and check out until I had paid another ¥25,000 for their "hot spa" services.
I was asked to go to another restaurant for dinner and when they explained their restaurant was fully booked, there was only 2 people in the dinning hall that seated close to 80 people.
Disgusting treatment and avoid booking with this hotel if you come from another country.
I wonder if all their hotels treat foreingers the same.
Avoid at all cost if you have self respect.
Marroad Hotel should be ashamed!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

Hotel had a helpful receptionist called Mi-O. Sorry about spelling. She helped us out in timetables for buses n trains. Hotel shuttle also sent us to Gora as well as picked us up. Also free Hakone bus using Hakone pass is on the street right outside hotel. Very easy to get to all museums and rope car stations.
Breakfast was not too good. Bed and room clean. Shower is basic.
Quiet. Great for relaxation.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank S N
Reviewed 11 September 2016

Our supposedly non-smoking room stank of smoke (putting a "no smoking" sign in there doesn't make it a non-smoking room).

The style of the bedroom was totally 70s, the bed side table had an AM radio built into it! Everything looked dated, and I don't mean "retro", I mean, as if it literally hasn't been redecorated for 45 years.

We booked a room for two people, and it came with two single beds instead of a double bed. Ok, fine, I guess. The mattresses were terrible though. We could both feel the springs. Something else that hasn't been changed for 45 years I would guess.

The safe was locked open, I couldn't figure out how to reset and close it, and there were no instructions provided. I didn't bother the staff over it as the level of spoken English was on-par with most of Japan and I didn't want to figure out how to mime "the safe is broken". You'd think they'd check this kind of stuff.

There was no complementary water in the room, which I think is frankly ridiculous for anything but the most budget of hotel rooms (and this is certainly not in that price range).

The fridge was really noisy and not encased in a cupboard (etc) to muffle the noise.

The air conditioning in the room barely worked, and the only control for it was on a weird 70s looking radio / room light / AC control panel. Swivelling the analogue control knob seemed to have no effect on the temperature.

The duvet covers were stained, and obviously so (I noticed within a minute of arrival).

The bathroom appeared to be like that of a bad cruise ship, a plastic prefabricated room that creeks when you walk around. The extractor fan basically didn't work at all, which is problematic because they say you need to close the door to prevent steam setting off the fire alarm (!)...

The water pressure of the shower was insane, and I don't mean low, it was so high I thought it would blast my skin off. Temperature control was linked, so there was no option to have warm water coming out slower.

Breakfast had to be pre-booked, which I guess isn't really a problem, but it was surprising as the breakfast options were basically all the same, with slight differences (all variations on salad with a couple of tiny sausages). I don't think it would be hard to make croque monsieur or toast on demand, so lack of flexibility was puzzling at best. The quality of the breakfast was ok.

I've read other reviews online that say you need to book dinner a day in advance - I can confirm this is the case. Don't just assume you'll be able to eat elsewhere, mostly nothing is open in the evenings within walking distance. We lucked out and managed to get into the only restaurants available, your mileage may vary.

There was no Wi-Fi in the hotel rooms, only in the lobby (and really, only in the lobby, 10 metres away you could forget it). Various online booking sites and reviews say there's Wi-Fi in the communal areas, but that's inaccurate, it's only in the lobby.

As a slightly more minor nitpick - there really isn't enough plug sockets for the modern era. When you're travelling with cameras, phones, etc, you need to charge them up somewhere, and having only 2 or 3 available sockets is ludicrous.

The free shuttle bus to the station was very useful, but it would be nice if they could run it a bit later (service finishes at 6pm) so that people arriving later in the day could use it. The hotel is borderline inaccessible by foot if you're carrying heavy luggage.

The onsen was nice (although facilities could do with a bit of modernising). I have no basis for comparison locally, but it was fine. I suspect others are as good if not better, so this alone wouldn't be a redeeming feature for this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family