All reviewsfoot massagegora stationstayed longerbit datedfree shuttlemt fujijapanese stylemouldcablecarbathshakonetaxispring
Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

The hotel was old but beautiful, settled amongst a beautiful landscape I felt in special.
Then I met the staff.
Treated poorly, not given any direction within the hotel itself.
Refused access to their own restaurant and refused other services such as their in house massaging.
After paying for the accommodation before I had even arrived in Japan, I was not allowed to leave and check out until I had paid another ¥25,000 for their "hot spa" services.
I was asked to go to another restaurant for dinner and when they explained their restaurant was fully booked, there was only 2 people in the dinning hall that seated close to 80 people.
Disgusting treatment and avoid booking with this hotel if you come from another country.
I wonder if all their hotels treat foreingers the same.
Avoid at all cost if you have self respect.
Marroad Hotel should be ashamed!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

Hotel had a helpful receptionist called Mi-O. Sorry about spelling. She helped us out in timetables for buses n trains. Hotel shuttle also sent us to Gora as well as picked us up. Also free Hakone bus using Hakone pass is on the street right outside hotel. Very easy to get to all museums and rope car stations.
Breakfast was not too good. Bed and room clean. Shower is basic.
Quiet. Great for relaxation.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank S N
Reviewed 11 September 2016

Our supposedly non-smoking room stank of smoke (putting a "no smoking" sign in there doesn't make it a non-smoking room).

The style of the bedroom was totally 70s, the bed side table had an AM radio built into it! Everything looked dated, and I don't mean "retro", I mean, as if it literally hasn't been redecorated for 45 years.

We booked a room for two people, and it came with two single beds instead of a double bed. Ok, fine, I guess. The mattresses were terrible though. We could both feel the springs. Something else that hasn't been changed for 45 years I would guess.

The safe was locked open, I couldn't figure out how to reset and close it, and there were no instructions provided. I didn't bother the staff over it as the level of spoken English was on-par with most of Japan and I didn't want to figure out how to mime "the safe is broken". You'd think they'd check this kind of stuff.

There was no complementary water in the room, which I think is frankly ridiculous for anything but the most budget of hotel rooms (and this is certainly not in that price range).

The fridge was really noisy and not encased in a cupboard (etc) to muffle the noise.

The air conditioning in the room barely worked, and the only control for it was on a weird 70s looking radio / room light / AC control panel. Swivelling the analogue control knob seemed to have no effect on the temperature.

The duvet covers were stained, and obviously so (I noticed within a minute of arrival).

The bathroom appeared to be like that of a bad cruise ship, a plastic prefabricated room that creeks when you walk around. The extractor fan basically didn't work at all, which is problematic because they say you need to close the door to prevent steam setting off the fire alarm (!)...

The water pressure of the shower was insane, and I don't mean low, it was so high I thought it would blast my skin off. Temperature control was linked, so there was no option to have warm water coming out slower.

Breakfast had to be pre-booked, which I guess isn't really a problem, but it was surprising as the breakfast options were basically all the same, with slight differences (all variations on salad with a couple of tiny sausages). I don't think it would be hard to make croque monsieur or toast on demand, so lack of flexibility was puzzling at best. The quality of the breakfast was ok.

I've read other reviews online that say you need to book dinner a day in advance - I can confirm this is the case. Don't just assume you'll be able to eat elsewhere, mostly nothing is open in the evenings within walking distance. We lucked out and managed to get into the only restaurants available, your mileage may vary.

There was no Wi-Fi in the hotel rooms, only in the lobby (and really, only in the lobby, 10 metres away you could forget it). Various online booking sites and reviews say there's Wi-Fi in the communal areas, but that's inaccurate, it's only in the lobby.

As a slightly more minor nitpick - there really isn't enough plug sockets for the modern era. When you're travelling with cameras, phones, etc, you need to charge them up somewhere, and having only 2 or 3 available sockets is ludicrous.

The free shuttle bus to the station was very useful, but it would be nice if they could run it a bit later (service finishes at 6pm) so that people arriving later in the day could use it. The hotel is borderline inaccessible by foot if you're carrying heavy luggage.

The onsen was nice (although facilities could do with a bit of modernising). I have no basis for comparison locally, but it was fine. I suspect others are as good if not better, so this alone wouldn't be a redeeming feature for this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

A rather worn hotel. No possibility to adjust the temperature in the room. No WiFi in the room, only in the lobby. The breakfast was not good and it had to be ordered one day ahead. The view from the room was nice. I did not eat any lunch or dinner in the restaurant but no one else did it either.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Thomas E
Reviewed 6 July 2016

Chose the Half Board and was Blown Away. Food at the restaurant is French inspired and was a very pleasant surprise. The staff were exceptional to our needs, rooms a bit out-dated but the views and amenities certainly outweighed this. Onsen a delight . Great not to have internet in room!!!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family