All reviews tokyo bay excellent business hotel office building connected directly shower room convention center baseball stadium aeon mall nice view walking distance jr station visit tokyo stayed for nights rooms are small apa hotel japan exhibition
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Very 1980s.This place is a bit bonkers.the rooms are small and a bit hot!.
the bed is comfy and has good bedding and pillows.
the shower is average
the curtains do not offer much of a barrier to the sun!
towels are small and a bit threadbare.
there is a fridge
there is a kettle
there is a small table.
internet is awful.
breakfast is "so,so" not the usual Japanese feast for the eye.
the place is in the middle of nowhere unless you want to be in that location?
over an hour from central Tokyo.
Staff are really nice and could not fault them .but the place is a tired,weird 1980s timewarp of ghastly proposions

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
ホテルニューオータニ幕張, マネージャー at Hotel New Otani Makuhari, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Warm greetings from Hotel Newotani Makuhari.Thank you very much of your valuable opinion. We are really sorry can not provide a comfortable space the other day. Step by step, we are making an effort to develop our room facility and foods now days. Also our New Otani Hotel is located in central Tokyo . If you have a chance, please visit there. We are looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

This is an old hotel. Still need to use a key to open the door. However, things still keep clean and tidy. The room is big for the price range. It is near the Disney and hence a lot of people are staying for Disney. A lot of Chinese tourists in recent years comparing with 5-10 years ago. A local friend told me dessert cake is very famous in here and is very expensive but I haven't tried. There is an outlet at the opposite of the hotel near the Makuhari station. 10mins by walk can reach a big Aeon Mall with 3 buildings connected. 2 stations away is a good Lalapot for shopping. For this price range, a good hotel to go shopping.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
ホテルニューオータニ幕張, マネージャー at Hotel New Otani Makuhari, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Dear jayleung,

First of all let us thank you for your great review of our hotel and really appreciate your time in providing such detailed comment on our facility. And we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

As you mentioned, it is very convenient to do shopping when staying in our hotel.
At the same time, as we are one of the Tokyo Disney Resort Good Neighbor Hotels, it can be very convenient to go to Tokyo Disney Resort from our hotel. It takes you less than 20 minutes to there by Good Neighbor Hotel Shuttle.

Beside the leisure using, it is also an ideal location for business using, as our hotel is directly connected to Makuhari Messe, which is Japan`s one of the biggest convention center.

We are looking forward to your next visit and meanwhile we strongly recommend you to try our original sweets and cakes, as they are really delicious.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Hotel New Otani Makuhari is clean and comfortable. The lounge area is large and nice, staff is friendly and helpful. Location is very convenient to Exhibition center, and JR station is just few minutes walking. Breakfast, even overpriced, is really excellent and you can find any type of food you prefer.

Date of stay: December 2017
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Overall this is a nice hotel and probably one of the best hotels in Chiba. The location is nearby the water with a great view if you have a water facing room. It is also near their baseball stadium and if I had more time, I would have definitely caught a baseball game there. Lots of convenient restaurants are within walking distance. Room service was excellent, and it was walking distance to a convention center and the AEON mall, which was my favorite place to visit. It is also convenient to a subway/train stop which is critical as well if you want to visit Tokyo proper.

The one thing I will criticize is their Club Level accomodations. When I travel overseas, I frequently upgrade to a club level room which tends to give you a higher floor room with better views, but also a private club room only for club level guest which often serves breakfast, snacks, heavy appetizers at dinner time and free drinks including alcohol. This formula is very consistent between hotels which have Club Level upgrades available. I upgraded to Club Level at the New Otani Makuhari in Chiba and it was a total waste of money. I did receive a higher level room facing the water which was nice, but the private club level was on the first floor nearby the check - in counter and it was nothing more than a room with some tables and chairs and a coffee/tea machine. If you had coffee and if the attendant for the room was there, she would bring you one plastic wrapped cookie, but that was it in terms of food. No breakfast, no snacks, no free drinks, and no heavy appetizers. This formula has been so consistent between other hotels that I visited that I never thought to ask if the New Otani had these things before I checked in. If I ever stay here again, I will not select the club floor upgrade as it is overpriced for what you receive. Aside from the lack of extras with the club floor room, it was a fine place to stay.

Room tip: Club level rooms are not worth the extra price. Water view rooms are nice.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2018

I have fond memories of the New Otani Makuhari, not because it is a great hotel but because it is one of the strangest hotels I have ever stayed at.

This was probably what a group of people with no sense of direction and tonnes of money saw as the ideal hotel in the 1980s.

The only problem is is that nothing has changed. The rooms, lobby, restaurants and lobby are as they were when the hotel was new. Cool time warp but not up today's standards.

The location across the road of the Makuhari conference centre is really convenient but the hotels lack the type of amenities that one should expect. No late room service (had to order pizza), mediocre Food & Beverage, old (but clean) rooms, weird Wifi network set up^.

The pirate themed bar (?!?) is a quirky additions but it does not make up for the hotel's shortcomings. Service is, however, excellent and the staff tries really hard.

All in all not terrible (and there aren't tonnes of options near Makuhari) but rather depressing...

Date of stay: December 2017