“Small restaurant but perfect Indian food”

Doon Shokudo Indoyama
Ranked #1 of 1,956 Restaurants in Matsumoto
Price range: US$7 - US$9
Description: Japan's smallest Indian home food restaurant which serves Indian home food like chicken curry(halal),keema curry & whole wheat flour chapati & for vegetarian & vegan we have mixed beans curry.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The owner came from India many years ago and met his Japanese wife, so he’s English is very good, his Japanese is pretty good too, but, his cooking, taught by his mother, is a gem of India sitting in Japan! Marvelous food, best curry I can ever remember and my wife said the same. After an hour we left feeling part of the family and can’t recommend this restaurant highly enough!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I highly recommend this place! It was such a relief to know that the cooking was nut free, as travelling with an allergy in a foreign country can be difficult, especially when travelling alone as I was. The food was delicious and there is a very warm, homely vibe about the place, which is slightly tucked away inside a small open complex containing other small restaurants - do not be discouraged when you cannot see it directly from the road (google maps does bring you to the right place). The owners are lovely and it really felt like a home cooked meal.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We loved the food we had here, options for meat eaters and vegans, the guy who owns the place and his wife were really friendly and chatty and gave us more food when we were finished. Really can't reccomend it enough!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing curry and service in a quiet location. The chef actually cares and asks questions to ensure you get the best meal possible. And he speaks fluent English.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Japanese cuisine has an amazing heritage of excellent flavor and texture, but a lot of it is unaccessible to me due to my significant dietary restrictions. Those include
being vegan (no milk, butter, dairy, beef, chicken, fish, pork etc.), gluten-free (no wheat), no soy, no corn. With that in mind, eating in Japan can be tricky due to what I can eat, but it's places like Doon Shokudo Indoyama that make it worth the effort in research.

This place is located a few blocks away from the Matsumoto Castle, but on a quieter street that feels untouched by tourism. The location itself is a sunroom that sets 4-6 people, with an additional sunroom to host an overflow of diners.

We arrived to the very warm and welcoming owner, Ashish, and his wife. We were presented a menu of the three lunch menu items for the day, one of which was labeled vegan. Naturally curious, I asked Ashish what his interpretation of vegan meant, and he shared how he's worked with a lot of vegan and/or gluten-free customers over the years to make sure that everyone can eat at his restaurant. I shared with Ashish my dietary restrictions and he asked a number of clarifying questions to ensure that the dishes were made specially to meet my needs.

While I normally assume that whatever is labeled vegan should be taken with a significant grain of salt, Ashish was dedicated to working with me to get it right. He prepared the dishes right in front of me, and made conversation as he went, sharing how and why he and his wife opened the restaurant.

The food came out, and I delighted in eating delicious curry, papadum, and rice with pickle on the side. I finished off my dish off with a hot cup of black tea. The food was so tasty, and I actually ended up ordering a second curry!

When I asked Ashish what the bill was, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cost of the meal was amazing value -- we ate well for a good price.

Every city has it's gem, and we found it in Doon Shokudo Indoyama!

1  Thank maravilladelmundo