“Excellent”

Ranked #22 of 3,988 Restaurants in Kanazawa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Excellent sushi and I really do mean proper high end sushi at a very reasonable price. This restaurant also allows young children if you book the room (there's only one). The room is also right next to the counter so you actually get the sushi served to you right away, so the sushi is served at the right temperature with the rice (shari) slightly warmer than the ingredients (neta) and the nikiri is already applied (so you don't have to dip the sushi in soy sauce). Very friendly and very understanding towards us and our kids. I can't praise this restaurant enough.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Based on a recommendation, we booked to eat at Otomezushi. We got a table at 1700 and were seated at the main counter (which only seats 8). This made the meal fun. We also had some local sake. There was also a private room.

The staff spoke a little English but enough to explain what we were about to eat. They worked hard to serve us. We chose the sashimi and sushi meal. We had a selection of sashimi, sushi and also some fried dishes (fish, abalone with its liver but also fugu shirako which was something my husband had been looking forward to trying)! The sashimi was very fresh and sushi melted in my mouth - definitely the best I had tasted.

The meal was adequate and not too filling which was good. We finished at around 1830 I.e. in 90 minutes.

The meal for two including two carafes of sake was Y28,000 which we though was excellent value compared to the cost of a similar meal in Tokyo. And you definitely can’t get a similar meal anywhere other than Japan!

FYI There was also another couple at the restaurant from Nagoya who drove 3 hours to eat there as the sushi was of such good quality! So it must be good!

Suggestion - consider getting a taxi there to avoid getting lost as there are no signs in English, and it’s in a small street (and no menu in English either).

1  Thank Vegemitelover
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Lucky enough to have scored a couple of seats in this delightful intimate restaurant.
The individually served sushi so were delicious to the eye as there were to the taste buds. Don't miss it if you're in Kanazawa. Book if you can to secure a seat to watch the master sushi chef.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

I was recommended this restaurant by an antique dealer in Kyoto. He said that it had outstanding sushi at a fraction of the price you would pay in Tokyo & that the quality of the seafood was wonderful because Kanazawa is near the sea. The restaurant is very difficult to find because it is tucked away in a cul de sac beside another building. Also there is no English sign. You will have to ask local shopkeepers for directions. One shopkeeper actually left her shop to take me there personally! Try & make a reservation in advance from your hotel & allow plenty of time to find it. They have a sitting at lunch, one at 5pm & another at 8pm. I located the restaurant at lunchtime, it was fully booked so I made a reservation for 5pm. This suited me fine as dinner concluded by 6.30pm which meant I could catch the last bus back to the station area. I had a combo of sashimi & sushi which included yellowfin tuna, prawns, sea urchin, cooked eel & so much more. I accompanied it with two flasks of hot sake. It was excellent. The cost for one was around $135 Aus. Highly recommended.

2  Thank suzziej
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Sushi here is of an amazing quality and at a fraction of a price compared to Tokyo. Service was really friendly and accommodating, and I was in my happy place. Probably the best sushi in Kanazawa, and definitely comparable to the sushi shokunin in Tokyo. Certainly can't beat the seafood in Ishikawa!