All reviewsstandard roommui nekite surfinggarden bungalowbeach towelssun loungersbeautiful beachho chilarge bathroomnice roomstar servicethoroughly enjoyed our staystayed here for nightsrelaxing holidaybeach frontbuffet breakfastrestaurants and bars
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed at Blue Ocean 4 times since 2016 and my favorite thing is that each time was as great as the last. Consistency is a hard thing to deliver season after season but the team at Blue Ocean always does.

Get one of the beach front rooms with the outdoor bathtub.

Stayed: April 2018
Nood75, General Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear DougHac
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is a great motivation for all the team when they hear how much guests like you have enjoyed their stay and choose to return to us whenever they visit Mui Ne.
We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip here.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Very spacious room with scent. Clean room, beach and pool. Very well kept garden and delicious food. Breakfast is good in quality but with an enough variety.

Very windy so you have to mind the kitesurfing guys as they are surfing a lot from 3pm.

Very good restaurant and bar at beach front with reasonable price.

Every 2 standard rooms are without separation in the balcony area so a bit uncomfortable if you do not like seeing strangers next door. But there is no such thing if you book other bungalow types.

Highly recommend this.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Nood75, General Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Chuong N,
Thank you for your kind comments. We actually use lemongrass oil in our rooms to provide a nice fresh scent in our rooms.
Yes I love the wind as it helps to keep the temperature here very comfortable, but I do recommend that swimmers relocate to the swimming pool area when there are kite surfers on the waves. We have installed bamboo poles to try to keep surfers from coming too close to the swimming area, but as the beach is publicly owned we are limited in how we can enforce control in this area.
You are correct the Standard Rooms have a partition but not a complete wall between the balconies which is great for families booking 2 rooms, but it doesn't give complete privacy on the outside balcony area.
I am so happy that you have enjoyed both the resort and also the restaurant and do hope we can welcome you back to Blue Ocean Resort again in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Arrived in the early hours of the morning to be greeted by smiling and welcoming staff,quick and easy check in and in out room within 5 minutes of arriving. Good sized room and bathroom with all facilities required,also good comfortable bed that led to two weeks of good sleep. No concern with previous reviews of hygiene at breakfast as what is commented about is due to the lack of common sense from people not covering the food again with the covers provided. Good selection at breakfast something for everyone to choose from. All the staff here are all very helpful and friendly. Well situated for restaurants and bars are within easy walking distance.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geoffly087

Dear Geoffly087,
It was lovely to read your kind review and to know that the Blue Ocean family has helped you enjoy your holiday so much with us. I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in Mui Ne.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

The resort and its rooms are very beautiful but throughout our stay I have grown increasingly concerned about the very poor practices around the serving of breakfast. See another recent review about this which echoes my concerns. I contracted gastro enteritis after breakfast yesterday and collapsed at the airport and I was rushed to a local hospital and unable to fly home. My husband is also feeling unwell. Not the end to our stay we wanted.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Nood75, General Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Dear Helen N
Firstly I am so sorry to hear that you are so unwell. I do hope that you have recovered now and were able to return home and I do understand that this is a terrible way to end your trip in Vietnam. Unfortunately this season gastro enteritis has been more prevalent than usual both in Mui Ne, but also in other Vietnamese tourist destinations (as I have met guests who have arrived here already with this bug). We are doing our utmost to try to contain this, and while we do take our food hygiene very seriously we also understand that this can be spread from person to person by touching the same objects, both in restaurants such as using tongs at the buffet, but also in other areas such as pens and door knobs etc. We have introduced antiseptic hand gel in our restaurant and lobby area as part of our efforts to minimise exposure between guests (the staff all have very strict instructions to use this regularly during their shifts), and while I am pleased that the number of people who have contracted this have remained very low in our resort, but I do understand that this does not make you feel better after your experience so I am truly sorry for this.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Reviewed 10 February 2018

This is an honest and non-biased review. Firstly we are an open minded, fit, retired English couple who have holidayed all over the world. We’ve been to some wonderful and some not so wonderful places, so quite experienced and travelled.
We had already stayed six days in Ho Chi Minh City without a problem. We used the wonderful Novotel in the city and visited the Cu Chi tunnels by speedboat, had a two day cruise on the Mekong Delta, had meals in various Vietnamese restaurants with absolutely no problems.
Then we arrived at Pan Thiet which was dirty, smelly and the main road was full of rubbish, in poor condition and looked really cheap. Most shops and restaurants looked cheap and shoddy and seemed to be aimed at Russian holiday makers. Then we entered the Blue Ocean Resort and wow! We were both really impressed. The whole place looked magical, the entrance, lobby, grounds, our garden bungalow, the swimming pool the beach front, were all fabulous and faultless. We thought yes, a great choice for a relaxing week, and then the next day after breakfast is when it all changed. Within three hours my wife was ill and stayed in bed for a couple of days, sickness & diarrhoea, she became so ill I had to take her to the emergency clinic, after two drips a multitude of medication and eight hours in the clinic we arrived back at our room at three a.m. and she was ill for five more days. I then found out that at least four more people had the same problems and similar treatment; I had a discussion with the management who were quite naturally defensive regarding their resort. I discussed my main concerns regarding the breakfast served in an open air restaurant.
1 Open dishes of meats, cheese’s, coleslaw etc. which were placed on tables from seven, to ten in the morning in over 30-degree heat and not chilled.
2 At the chef’s station for fresh egg omelettes, scrambled eggs etc. Wild birds repeatedly flew into the restaurant, perching on the five bowls containing fillings for the omelettes and helping themselves.
3 The occasional rat wandering between the pool and outdoor breakfast restaurant. (Photographic evidence of all of the above)
The resort Manageress, Kristy confirmed she was going to implement some changes and said that Gastroenteritis is a big problem at present in Phan Thiet and not just related to Blue Ocean. I cannot categorically say or proove one way or the other who is to blame but four other guests of Blue Ocean had exactly the same experience. It was such a shame, a beautiful resort but our holiday was ruined. Be aware!

Room Tip: Garden bungalows were fabulous, perfectly situated.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Les W
Nood75, General Manager at Blue Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Dear Les W,
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, grounds and the beach. I am happy that you found this all to be beautiful.
I do understand and share your concerns about the cleanliness in public area’s locally and together with some other Mui Ne based businesses we have actually founded and implemented the Keep Mui Ne Nice initiative to try to improve this by collecting rubbish in public areas and also to educate the local community about this issue, hence why we are able to keep the public beach so nice next to Blue Ocean. On a positive note the local government has agreed that this is an issue that needs to be resolved and they have applied to the national government for funding to install garbage bins throughout Mui Ne and other activities to improve in this area. This is an initiative that has only recently been implemented in central Ho Chi Minh City (sadly where the local people live this is not yet implemented) and it has made a huge difference there already so we are very hopeful that this will have a positive effect on the Mui Ne area also.
I’m sorry you hadn’t actually mentioned the smell in Phan Thiet to me when we were talking as while I do agree it is terrible, I could have shared the reason for this with you. This is actually very noticeable in one area as you drive through Phan Thiet city as it is where the fish sauce that Binh Thuan Province is famous for is produced. Luckily this is about 10km away from the Mui Ne area so we don’t have to tolerate the smell here in the resort.
I am sorry that you found the local shops and restaurants to look a bit “shoddy”. Tourism is relatively new to the Mui Ne area and as the locals are still relatively poor it will take some time for this to grow into a better established and more beautiful shopping precinct. In the past there was a considerable amount of Russian tourists but as this market has dropped off here I am certain that as the locals can afford it they will replace signage to cater more for our European visitors.
As we discussed I am very sorry that your wife was sick during her time here with us. I am glad she improved somewhat before starting the journey home as it would be awful to have these symptoms when travelling on flights or for long periods in vehicles and I do hope she is feeling 100% better now. I do understand your concerns as naturally when someone has stomach problems they will be wary that they have eaten something bad, and naturally my first thought when a guest is unwell is to question what has caused this illness to ensure that everything that can possibly be done to minimize the chances of other people becoming sick is done. When we spoke together you had advised me that the cause of your wife’s illness was diagnosed by the clinic as gastroenteritis and I have been in contact with the clinic as well as other local resorts and businesses and I do believe that this was a problem throughout the area last week. As we discussed this can be passed from person to person in many different ways and I appreciated your suggestion that we provide the antiseptic hand gel in the restaurant to minimize guests passing this bacteria to other guests when handling items such as tongs etc. at the breakfast buffet. While we have also increased the ice to keep the cold buffet cool at all times, please rest assured that although the buffet is open from 7am until 10am, we only ever put out small portions of all items so food is never on the buffet for this period of time and the local governmental hygiene department makes frequent checks of our restaurant to ensure all food is served in a safe manner.
I am sorry the birds have gotten more cheeky lately. Some time ago they were trying to steal treats from the area where the breads are served and I purchased net covers which had solved the problem there, unfortunately this makes it a little more difficult for guests to pick up these items off the buffet, but I know our guests are happier with this than having the birds nibbling on the breads. As I think I mentioned to you some guests love and feed these birds and this has obviously made them very brave and are coming further into the restaurant, so we have changed how we set up the foods at the egg station to keep them from sneaking in here also. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention so I can resolve this.
Sadly yes as an open air beachside resort with the fishermen located right beside us bringing in their catch we do sometimes see native coconut rats on the grounds within the resort also. While I know they are not the same as the rats we are used to in our home countries, they do still bother me as well so I perfectly understand that guests feel the way they do about them. As I do personally love some of our other local fauna such as squirrels I will not use poisons to try to eradicate the coconut rats as I don’t wish to harm the other animals, but we do permanently have traps throughout the resort to try to trap them. As most of my staff are Buddhist they will not kill them, but instead they relocate them to the remote sand dune area a few kilometers away. We also employ a professional pest control company who has been very successful in ensuring these animals do not enter inside any buildings such as guest rooms or kitchens, but I am sorry that from time to time they can be seen in the outdoor areas as I understand this can be quite off-putting.
Again I am very sorry that your stay was marred by your wife’s illness. You are correct that a few other people were also unwell, although your wife did suffer more than most as she did become quite dehydrated which is very unpleasant in such a hot climate, but we are actually talking about numbers of about 3% of visitors to the area so thankfully it is not an epidemic, and the doctors clinic has advised me that the number of cases of gastroenteritis has decreased since your stay when it was at its highest level which is good news for visitors to our area. I do understand though that this improvement here in Mui Ne does not help you or your wife in any way as you were still affected by this during your vacation here and I am very sorry about this meaning you haven’t enjoyed your time with us in Mui Ne.
Warmest wishes to you both for the year ahead and I do hope your wife is completely recovered now.