“One of the best meals I have had!”

Aubergine49 Restaurant
Ranked #121 of 1,060 Restaurants in Hoi An
Cuisines: Asian, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Description: We are proud to introduce the brand new venue Aubergine49 to Hoi An. Local son and chef Nguyen Nhu Thinh has spent 10 years abroad training with leading chefs such as Paul Gayler, Rick Stein and Seiji Yamamoto of Tokyo's Nihonryori Ryugin (a three Michelin starred restaurant). He has now returned home to create a fresh new venue with global flavours. Classically trained, the style of Chef Thinh's dishes combines classic French techniques with global flavours to create a modern contemporary menu of Eurasian cuisine firmly rooted in an Asian background.
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

Get the tasting menu; it's the same price as a main. It was absolutely delicious. All four of us could not stop talking about our meals and admiring how amazing it was. We tried a variety of dishes and all were to die for. It is fine dining, with a clear French influence. Must not miss while in Hoi An!

Reviewed 9 May 2017

Short walk from my hotel in the ancient town. Beautiful restaurant in a house. The staff is very friendly. The menu is fantastic. I had all vegetarian meal with a salad with edible dirt. Little sprouts what must have been locally sourced herbs that were presented as though they were growing out of the dirt, like a little garden. Fantastic. Then for dinner I had the tofu which was fried, but not greasy, on top of a bean mixture surrounded by beet sauce (I think). It also came with bowl of Quinoa flavored with herbs. Amazing. I was very full but could not pass up on desert if dinner was that good. Oh my! White chocolate mousse, mango sorbet and something else which I can't remember. This restaurant is a must.

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

I was in Hoi An for my birthday. After much research, I decided on this restaurant and that was the best decision ever! Every single food that arrived at the table were so delicious and presentation was on point. All the starters on the menu look so interesting, I could have ordered everything !! It's a small cozy restaurant, so remember to make a booking to avoid disappointment. Would be back again if I'm back in the city.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

We were so looking forward to our dinner at the restaurant so many people rave about on Tripadvisor. Now we wonder why....
We had dinner with four people including one small child. Upon booking a table I was asked if we would like a kids' menu which I asked for. When we arrived, no kids menu was available and we were told the only dishes they can offer are french fries or Spaghetti with tomato sauce..neither did our request for a cushion for the chair yield any effort by the staff.
We ordered drinks including a bottle of wine. The bottle of wine arrived well after the other drinks and only after asking for it. Both glasses went empty without being refilled by a waiter more than once.
We ordered the set menu. While eating the starter I found a hair in my dish. I told the waitress who talked to the chef. She came back and asked if I wanted a new starter. I said yes, but nothing happened. We were served the main courses and no mention was made of the starter again. Main dishes were tasty. Unfortunately I found another hair..I usually do not even bother mentioning it in other restaurants, but as Aubergine 49 is made out to be "fine dining" (which it is not) I did. Unbelievable to me, but the waiter returned to our table with the hair in his hand telling me that it cannot be of any of the staff members and insinuated it must be mine. I have never experienced this sort of treatment anywhere.
We ordered desserts which were nice, especially the Chocolate Delice. Very disappointed to find out that no Espresso or Cappuccino is available...
We paid - the starter was taken off the bill - and left and will certainly not be back. There are a number of more satisfying options available in town and Vietnam as a whole! Creating a fusion menu with fancy names does not make you a "European fine dining" restaurant. Rather invest some time and resources in training staff..

1  Thank Adina G
Thinh N, Chủ sở hữu at Aubergine49 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2017

Dear Adina,

First of all, we are sorry that you felt this way about your dining experience at Aubergine49. We are concerned with a few of your comments made within your review and would like to clarify a few thing that have been said.

You were right in saying that you asked for a kid’s menu prior to dining with us. Our staff said they offered you the following options for your child (which we have for all guests with children, however it is not on paper): Chicken nuggets and fries, Vietnamese fried rice, Pasta Carbonara or Spaghetti with tomato sauce. I spoke with the staff member who was waiting your table that evening and he said that you never asked for a cushion for your child.

With regards to the drinks, there were 4 drinks ordered (beer/juices) as well as your wine. Typically, guests that do this will drink these first and then the wine after, not simultaneously. Our staff apologise if they were not attentive enough with topping up the wine as we were very busy the night you dined with us.

Our staff also apologised for the hair accident in the starter and offered you a replacement in which I was told in that you said “It’s ok.” To the Vietnamese staff, that meant it was ok, you were happy to have no extra starter. When you ate your main meal, the plate was completely clean when it was sent back to the kitchen (the structure of most our dishes when we essembling the dish as well as serving, make it almost impossible to not notice the long hair in that dish). The hair that was on your plate was long and blonde…hair that none of the kitchen staff has! (We are all Vietnamese with short black hair so this is not possible). The staff were merely proving to you that this could not be possible in our restaurant. We admit the mistake for the starter but it cannot be true for the main!

Here at Aubergine49 we are proud to support our local trade coffee but due to the high demand of our guests within the next month we will run with our new wine list/alcoholic drink list and installing a new coffee machine. We apologise that espresso coffee wasn’t yet available. Looking forward to have you back to try out our coffee!

We were taken back by your final comments as we don’t promote Aubergine49 to be a formal fine dining experience. We pride ourselves in offering an affordable and casual fine dining experience for guests in a relaxed setting. I apologise if you think otherwise about our food or our staff.

Best Regards,

Thinh

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Perfect way to end a not so perfect stay in Hoi'An.
The food is unbelievable. I felt and Tasted as if I was in a Michelin star restaurant. Donorser appetizees please. The prawn with scallops and the earthy salad is unbelievable. My local fish dish was delicious and my mothers rack of lamb divine. We ended it all with dark chocolate mouse with salted caramel center. Amazing. Service was fantastic and perfect. I just say , 2 appetizers , 5 glasses of wine ( should've done a bottle ) 2 entrees , coffee , sparkling water and desert for under $100 including tip absolutely worth it. Thank you so much for a fantastic meal.