“My Favorite Restaurant in Hoi An!”

Riverside Garden Restaurant
Ranked #104 of 1,060 Restaurants in Hoi An
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: This is a recently opened restaurant in Hoi An and is not the same as the one of the same name currently listed on Tripadvisor (that establishment has changed its name). With a view over the river this lovely family owned and operated spot offers delicious, fresh food in clean surroundings. We especially enjoyed the grilled snapper - seasoned with herbs and wrapped in banana leaves for only $6! Nice selection of white wines available as well, reasonably priced and served ice cold. The young owners Huyen and Dung are real foodies and it sure shows in their service and food offerings. Loved it.
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Located not too far from the beach, and directly on the lazy river! Enjoy your food as local fisherman cruise past casting their nets. ( your so close to the river you could literally dip your toes in the water) The staff is very friendly and happy to explain the dishes or make recommendations.

My first night I was recommended the Local Pancakes...and it was a good recommendation. I've had it elsewhere now, and nope-Not nearly as good. It comes with rice papers and loads of fresh herbs and cucumbers. More like a savory omelet stuffed with bean sprouts and meat which you roll in the wrappers and dip into the amazing sauce than a pancake you might imagine from the western world. ( vastly superior if you ask me).

Anyway, they were so good it brought me back for night two and I had the braised eggplant. I'm in love! I was a cook for many years, and this dish was so beautifully done-I was thrilled. I actually messaged three friends as I was eating it to tell them about it! Tender eggplants cooked in a sauce that was perfectly balanced, with a touch of sweetness ( and yes they will make it spicy for you - which I love), served with rice! Amazing.

I had both the house red and white wines on a different night ( okay I have been here a lot!) and the red was my favourite, but you can't beat the local beer! Get a bottle on the cheap and spend a good portion of the afternoon chilling out and enjoying the view!

Let's see what else....I had the veggie curry...super yum! Loved it. Fresh Spring Rolls - bang on. The wok fried noodles are good, but more standard fare, not as delectable as the eggplant or curry. They offer vegetarian food, and options for Vegan and Gluten-free as well which is nice.

Oh! I almost forgot...the coffee! They have the most amazing coffee...and I am usually a tea drinker, but I wanted something cold and I was super sleep deprived and needing a mega boost so I went for a local coffee with ice and fresh milk. It's strong, but not bitter. It has all these amazing flavours almost a bit of citrus! And they give you enough Ice ( don't you just hate it when you order an iced coffee and two seconds later all the ice is gone and you have a creepy water layer on the top of your semi-cold beverage - so annoying).

Wifi is good. Seating is comfortable. Night time atmosphere is quiet and cosy. Perfect date night spot.

I heard they offer cooking classes which sound amazing. You go on a boat to a market, and then come back and cook. I was interested but never had the time.

Oh, my only advice would be to bring bug spray. It wasn't a problem except for one night...but I mean.... I went outside....near a river....at sun down. Obviously, there were going to be mosquitos. I did'nt bring my spray and I got a few bites. Don't be dumb like me....bring your bug spray when you go outside at dusk - Duh!

1  Thank Jennyname

Reviewed 18 March 2018

You will have to go a long way to find a location like this. It is perfect. Excellent local food prepared by Huyen, a delightful lady and served by her very friendly husband Jean. Just across the road from Hoi An Trails hotel it is a perfect setting for a drink or a very good meal.

1  Thank Dave J
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

This was the worst meal of our five-day trip in Hoi An and An Bang. I didn’t give it a lower score because the Vietnamese pancakes were decent but the two dishes afterwards were terrible, grilled chicken (tasteless and dry) and stuffed eggplant (undercooked and poor quality pork mince). I think the reason to visit this restaurant would be for the view of the river and the cheap beer. Also, this restaurant would be better if they provided mosquito repellent at the tables like the restaurants in An Bang do. It would make a riverside restaurant so much more enjoyable. Be warned of the surprisingly bold rats darting under the tables near the river after dark.

1  Thank KRinHK
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

If you happen to be staying at the Hoi An Trails Resort Hotel on Cua Dai Road, go across the street and have a meal at the Riverside Garden. The chef uses fresh local fare and blends in spices and sauces that give you a healthy, well cared-for feeling. My wife had a shrimp curry and an order of braised eggplant with steamed rice. We enjoyed our meal. The staff of the restaurant were friendly and efficient.

1  Thank LuchinoBrooklynNYC
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

We loved this restaurant. Itvwas right over the road from our hotel. It was a family affair and they were most welcoming. Our favourite starter was their spring rolls. They were so tasty and had the crispiest pastry I’d ever had. It was a meal in itself with sweet chilly sauce. Please visit and give it a try.