“Mr Thanh was an excellent guide to My Son & Marble Mountain”

Hoi An Philong Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #112 of 251 Tours in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Hoi An Philong Tours is run by Mr.Toan Philong. We arrange the budget Vietnam Package Trips & We also arrange the Ecotours in Hoi An city, Vietnam.We have lots of tourist service.Children under 6 year old:free. Director :Mr.Toan
Reviewed 3 December 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in Hoi An for 4 nights as part of a holiday in Vietnam. We contacted Philong Tours to set up a private tour of My Son temple ruins and Marble Mountain, both outside Hoi An. We were set up with a driver and Mr Thanh was our excellent guide. They picked us up at our hotel at 5am, so we could get to My Son just after sunrise and pretty much have the place to ourselves, as we photographed the beautiful ruins in the morning light. Mr Thanh speaks English very well and is a wealth of knowledge about the history and the culture of the area, and Vietnam in general. He told us all about the Hindu community who built the temples at My Son and about it's rediscovery by the French in the 19th century, etc., up to modern day. He also provided a great deal of history and information about the Buddist shrines built into the caves at Marble Mountain. Mr Thanh's commentary added greatly to our experience and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire tour. I highly recommend Philong Tours and Mr Thanh.

2  Thank Mishkarn

Reviewed 21 November 2014

We used Philong Tours for transfers from Da Nang station and Hoi An to Da Nang airport.
Much cheaper than using the hotel service and excellent vehicles and drivers. On time and an overall excellent service. Would not hesitate to use again.

3  Thank Tony P
Reviewed 20 November 2014

We used Hoi An Philong Tours to and from Danang airport to our hotel in Hoi An. Our flight was delayed and our arrival was very late in the evening after midnight plus it was raining very heavy. I was concerned that with the late hour and weather the driver would not show up or wait. Sure enough our driver greeted us with our name on a sign and within minutes we were on the road to our hotel. It was a good thing the driver showed up as I did not see any cabs at that hour. Our return pick up was right on time and we have a short tour of the sights on the way to the airport. I would have liked to arrange a tour with them but our time did not permit. Highly recommended and very reliable.

3  Thank LMC_Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2014

We used Philong Tours for transfers to and from Da Nang airport and Hoi An. We also booked a one-day trip to Hue with several stops for a very reasonable price (note - this is about a 12 hour day for the driver, so not easy).

When we were picked up from the airport, we had the driver who did not speak English and his partner who did. He explained everything we were seeing on the drive to Hoi An. The only thing I wish they didn't do was an apparently obligatory stop at one of the shops near the Marble Mountains. We were exhausted and just ready to get to the relaxing part of our vacation in Hoi An. We had to deal with the sales pitches for 15 minutes before we could get out of there. But, I think this is a usual occurrence with all transfer companies, so just shrug it off.

Hue trip was an aggressive day trip (requested by me). We stopped at Marble Mountains, Hai Van Pass, then several stops in Hue before heading back to Hoi An. The drive, without stops, is 3 hours, so it is a long day for everyone. The one downside to Philong is the cars are not necessarily the newest or most reliable. Our poor driver had the worst luck that day. On the way he got one of the random police stops/tickets, then just outside of Hue on our way back (when we were all exhausted) his transmission basically failed. This was nerve wracking for all as we had three mountain passes to go over, with a lot of traffic, and he had to force his car into gear when he could. There were a few near-misses, but our driver did everything to make sure we all stayed safe and got home eventually. I know he was stressed, and we made sure to let him know we didn't fault him at all. Just bad luck. However, I would make sure to ask Mr. Philong to find a driver with a newer car if you are going to do a longer trip...it wasn't ideal for anyone.

Otherwise, both airport transfers were on time and quick. They are at the airport waiting for you with your name on a sign. Easy easy.

1  Thank hgold
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We booked 2 transfers with Mr Philong and his company: from Danang airport to our Hoian, and from Hoian to Hue. When organizing everything via e-mail, Mr Philong was very helpful and provided many answers, some beyond the scope of his services. We did not meet him in person. The first driver from Danang did not speak any English so it was a quiet ride but he delivered us to the hotel promptly and safely. The car was cold but finally I managed to communicate that to him and he adjusted the temperature. For the second transfer, we got a driver and somebody from the Hue hotel who acted as in impromptu guide. Both of them were very nice and stopped wherever we asked them, they even sang for us (when we asked). If you book a transfer between Hoian and Hue, make sure that you leave early, preferably by 10am. I wanted to leave in the afternoon and Mr Philong suggested not to wait longer than 1pm (which we did) but he did not explain why. In mi-afternoon, the clouds pull into the pass so you often do not have any view of the coastline. On top of it, there is a very heavy truck traffic on the road. We stopped for over an hour on Marble Mountain (which was worth it) so the estimated 3-hour transfer took us over 5 hours. For us, everything was interesting to experience and we did not mind, just be aware of it.