“Third Time's A Charm”

Ocean Colony Beach and Tennis Club
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Amagansett
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I originally wrote my first review on the Ocean Colony in July of 2009, it is probably posted above or below this one, and it is titled "Thank goodness the refrigerator was broken."

To update and give a more detailed and informative review, I'd just like to add that my family has returned every year for the past three years, at different times including Memorial Day Weekend, Independence Day weekend, and then a regular summer weekend in late July. Also since the refrigerator broke, and we really enjoyed that super nice room near the beach with the loft, we always splurge for one of the loft bedrooms, and we invite more people (The more the merrier). Usually rounding around fifteen people of all ages, and the adults of course, sleep on the bed while the teens and younger adults crash on the floor in blankets and sleeping beds. Also I've met others there who were vacationing and I have seen their rooms as well.

So my review? I absolutely love the place. However it is inconsistent because what the website fails to mention is that this is a time share. Over seventy different people own individual rooms. .. thus why they are decorated so differently. Some rooms even have photos of who I presume, own the rooms. So I recommend that if you go, and I definitely advise that you do, if you don't like your room within the first fifteen minutes, just ask to change rooms. In addition, I think that this place had the ideal location between Amagansett, East Hampton, and Montauk Point, and other sites such as the Phantom Forest/Hither Hills State Park, the Art Barge, The Surf Lounge, bicycle paths, walking trails, et cettera. Also the Ocean Colony is super easy to find, drive into, and has really nice staff that can accommodate most issues like an extended check-out, a broken room fixture, or extra towels and/or toiletries.

One thing I could change? I'm caught between adding a jacuzzi or painting/adding to the wooden balconies and staircases.... they look old and cheap, not beachy. It makes it feel too much like a sleep away camp for little children and teens... I wouldn't even mind some paint or tiles, or even more plants, vines, et cettera... but do not let that discourage you. The vacation is still going to be a one of kind, and amazing experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank daddyszgirlaaf
There are newer reviews for Ocean Colony Beach and Tennis Club

Reviewed 1 August 2010

Just what we needed! We had a fantastic time at the Ocean Colony. We had a one bedroom loft room with an ocean view which was perfect for us and our two small children. The beach is beautiful and never crowded. We went Mon-Fri so it was pretty quiet around the area. Perfect location, 10 min to Montauk or East Hampton. The kids loved both the beach and the pool. My only complaint is that we didn't stay longer. We will be back, can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BizEMomof3
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This is a great place to stay for a short trip to the Hamptons area. It's very secluded and has it's own private beach area. During the summer the beaches in this area are packed-but not here. The beach is fantastic if you love big waves. This hotel is not cheap but none of them in the vicinity are during the summer months. The Ocean Colony provides kitchen amenities so you can go out to an area resturant (the choices are very extensive and excellent) for one meal and prepare something in your room for the others to make up for the cost. They've got a nice pool and tennis courts, beautiful grounds and a great location central to everything that you go to Amagansett for. We've stayed here more than once and the staff has been great every time.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I stayed here in summer 2008 and 2009.

The best thing about Ocean Colony is location. It is between the Hamptons and Montauk and is right on the beach. It is small enough and distant enough from other properties that you can find a lot of personal space on the beach even in peak season. Beach chairs and umbrellas are provided. It also has a pool. The structures are wood with pretty landscaping, and pebbled roads and parking. Spaces right in front of your room can fill up in peak season but there was always one available. Grocery stores, towns and shops are all nearby but you will need a car. There is no shopping, dining, etc, on the site-- just rooms, beach and serenity.

The worst thing about Ocean Colony *CAN* be the rooms. People own these rooms. Depending on owner, rooms in the same price levels can be run down and awful or well maintained and lovely. I was here with extended family both years and had a chance to see at least 10 rooms. Some are well cared for some are (obviously) not. One family booked a 1BR costing $400+ per night that was so awful they refused it. Nothing at that price should be awful. The managers at Ocean Colony did try their best to accommodate family members who were unhappy.

I rented an overpriced (but quiet) studio that I liked in 2008. By the following year the wall paper was peeling off, the closet door was in the closet (broken), the dishwasher was leaking all over the floor and the mattress was so visibly thin, worn and sunken that I got a backache after 2 nights that stayed for 2 weeks. Housekeeping continued to run the leaking dishwasher with 3 towels shoved in front. It still made a puddle beyond the towels. I reported the closet, dishwasher and mattress. Maybe no one else had?

The young folks helping with beach chairs and umbrellas are friendly. My room was very clean on check in but housekeeping during my stay left a little to be desired. Check in can be time consuming and frustrating in peak weeks as the office is tiny and staff is sparse. Repairs may not happen until you leave.

Ideally, you should spend a night there off-peak and look at (pick) a room before booking a long stay. Some rooms you won't mind paying for (e.g. 2BR/2Bath Loft Rooms and some updated units in Ocean Edge.) Others may leave you feeling duped.

We enjoyed Ocean Colony but their prices have gone out of our reach. We are looking elsewhere for 2010.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank giveasmilenyc
Reviewed 31 July 2009

The only negative are the interior of the rooms and bathrooms......they are outdated, dusty, unnattractive with absolutely no style....equivalent to a 'Motel 6' I suppose in the 1970's.....these type of rooms are perfect for families with large SUV's or those who find campers appealing.......I don't understand the point....this is the 21st century.....it is so easy to fix this and then have cohesion with the setting......this type of beach front hotel could be incredible and has so much potential, but not with these rooms..... unless of course the rooms were priced at $79 a night, which is what they probably would have been priced at 35 years ago when the rooms were designed.......

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sdwgns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amagansett
1.2 km away
The Hermitage at Napeague
#4 of 6 in Amagansett
4.8 km away
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa

Been to Ocean Colony Beach and Tennis Club? Share your experiences!