Dortnal Ranch
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I took a trip to Marmaris last week and we decided to book a trail ride at Dortnal Ranch. This was my husband's first proper ride, so I'm glad he had such a great experience. In fact he wants to continue riding as a hobby because he had so much fun.

The ranch itself is gorgeous, nestled between wild green hills next to a small village. On arrival we were introduced to some of the horses and served coffee by Felis, a charming woman who runs the ranch with her husband Salih. When Salih arrived he spoke to my husband and I about our riding experience and chose horses for us accordingly. We were given two beautiful Arabian horses to ride: Ata and Rubina. My husband was quickly trained by Salih how to control his horse in a shaded arena and then we were off into the mountains for our trail ride. Salih very kindly took pictures as we were riding and we did a mixture of walk and trot; my husband was comfortable with rising trot by the end of our hour ride.

I have been to many stables in my life and met many horses. I have to say that the facilities and horses at Dortnal were among the best and healthiest I've ever seen. The horses have spirit and character, they're not just soulless drones following nose to tail. Felis and Salih obviously care a great deal about their animals.

Contact them by phone or by e-mail. Felis will come and pick you up from your hotel for a reasonable price.

1  Thank Louise R

Reviewed 28 May 2012

If you are into horses this is the pace to visit, Salih and Felice are amazing hosts, we have been out to ride for the last three visits, absolutely cracking tours of the surrounding mountains. As Salih said coming down 'He doesn't need to go looking for paradise'. I would say that ideally you need to have a good seat to do the longer trails as the horses (part bred Arabs) can be a bit enthusiastic, although you don't have to gallop if you don't want to.

Be aware that if you want to ride in July and August it is early morning and evening only, in the middle of the day it is too hot for the horses to do any work.

My son (on the autistic spectrum) was not interested in a long mountain ride so elected to have a lesson with Felice in the school on Nanu (The Fat One). As Felice is a trained psychiatrist and the Dortnal Ranch specialises in hippotherapy with disabled children, this was not a problem, and James enjoyed his time riding, playing with the dogs and cat, and finding the tortoises.

Even if you only elect to have a lesson in the school it is well shaded, and non riders are made more than welcome by Felice while the others are out, or there is a small beach with nice restaurants nearby just outside Hisonaru

2  Thank TonyBarnsley
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Myself and 3 friends went to Turkey for a week's riding holday at the establishment next door to Dortnal; 'Marmaris Horse/Country Club'. Thank Goodness we found Dortnal; the horses were in great condition, the owners are very professional and clearly put their horses first, and we had a great ride out in to the hills.

Beware of marmaris horse club... it is accessed via the same road but is just before Dortnal. We were completely mis-sold a riding holiday. We witnessed the horses being starved of food and water. The explanation we were given was that the owner was waiting for our money to be able to feed the horses, yet they had clearly spent money on other aspects of the resort and boasted that they were buying more horses soon. We heard horror stories from the locals (not from business competition but from villagers) of the way animals had been treated there over the years, leading to horse deaths. Amazed they are still allowed to keep horses and am in the process of reporting them to world horse welfare. I am concerned as I have been told they have a history of shipping off the horses as they become too ill to work and just buy new horses in.

3  Thank k m
Reviewed 8 May 2012

You will have the most pleasant afternoon or morning here.
The view is to die for, the welcome is warm and hassle free, the horses well cared for and safety is of the upmost importance.
Excellent for first timers and experianced equestians.
You can get a disc containing pics of your riding experiances for you to print off at home..only £20 with no pressure to buy.
If you have a drink while your there youy will not be stung by the prices.
This was our second visit to this Ranch.
You can pre-book from your home country or book when you get to turkey.
We take our son and he was 10 the first time we went.
ENJOY!

1  Thank catsbumfluff
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I took my daughter and two granddaughters for a surprise beginners lesson in July 2011.
They all had an amazing time on their first riding lessons from scratch, and ended with a 20 min led ride into the nearby hills.
Since then we have been back three times and their riding progress was amazing.
On return to UK they have carried on at a local riding club.
Can't wait to go back this june.
Non riders can pet the horses or just chill with a drink, and for young kids there are loads of animals about to pet.

1  Thank Robert E