All reviews water taxi neilson staff wake boarding tennis courts great holiday turkey great fun next year end of the season dalaman airport beach towels salad my other half thomas cook meal times restaurant staff water polo
Reviewed 26 September 2015

Saying the Adakoy Neilson is the best over the other 4 we have been to (Lemnos, Phokia, Ortakent & Syvota) is quite a statement, however with a great team, lead by fantastic managers with great weather, clean rooms, amazing food and special memories - I'm so pleased to have spent 2 weeks enjoying it all.

We went the first 2 weeks in September and with wall to wall sunshine reaching 45c in the first week. The great thing is the rooms are so well air-conditioned and there are plenty of shade areas that even in the heat of the 2pm day, you can find a place to snooze or read.

Initially I had thought after such a long journey that to get on a boat to get to an island was going to be one trip to many especially after a 1 hour 25 minute transfer, however it actually made it. You step on the boat and a cold Efes is thrust into your hand by the lovely local Turkish boat staff and then you sit on the top deck and watch the night sky in t-shirt and shorts temperature.

You get to see the first sights of Marmaris and then massively appreciate that not only are you no where near the party central, there is a small island between Adakoy and Marmaris to protect us at night from the Batman Lights and the booming club scene (I'll cover more on this later as there are some amazing places to go in Marmaris).

We stayed in room 130 and from the second I walked into the room I was in love with it. Less than 20 meters from the pool making it easy to nip back if you forget something. It is huge and also perfectly distanced from the pool bar which meant we heard no revelers (however Neilson have this covered as they close the pool bar at 9pm so that everyone can be noisey down at the beach bar that is no where near any rooms - good thinking Neilson!). There is a fridge, TV, lovely shower and lounging space.

There is only one thing you should be aware of and that is there are a lot of wasps and bees - and I mean a lot. Ahmet the General Manager is organising zapper rackets for each of the rooms next year so you can zap them - good idea and actually great to work on your racket skills. My wife and I did get stung, we had cream to sooth and everything was fine. Predominantly the stings only occur if you accidentally step or sit on them. Would this detract us from going back - no chance however we will return with our zapper rackets.

The food was excellent with local cuisine, fish, meats and bountiful amounts of fresh salad and fruit options. I really don't know how Neilson do it but the food is a joy to eat and I actually enjoy every meal you put out.

Don't forget to take some bread out to the pontoon, put your feet in the water, drop some bread and then get your feet massaged by kissing fish - people pay £100s in London for that.

One bad but good thing - wifi is shocking. Best bet is to pay your mobile phone provider before you go so you can use your UK data usage over seas at a cost of £x. At the end of the day though, if you can't live without wifi for 2 weeks then you need this holiday more than ever!

The activities were great and I tried most things. The bikes are for mountain bikers - there are no flat enough roads for road bikes. The hill of doom at the back of the resort to get into the hills of Adakoy are fun to try, but don't be put off. Once at the top you can go see some amazing sights including the harbour, cave and the lost village.

SUP and swimming to the island between Adakoy and Mamaris are great fun. The swim is in lovely warm water and is around 450m out and 450m back.

Wakeboarding here was up and down during our week (which meant the wind was amazing for sailing and windsurfing). However, when it was flat, the wakeboarding was excellent. They also have 3 boats here so plenty of availability for pulls.

The volley ball was great fun and as always I love the staff Vs Guests match, especially beating the staff in our final match in week 1. The balance of competitiveness and fun were well in line and with a massive thanks to Paddy for that.

We had our wedding anniversary in Adakoy this year and because we had our honeymoon in Ortakent, I thought it'd be nice to do something special. What Paddy and the team organised was, in the words of my wife, "the second best day of her life" (2nd to the wedding of course!). After a day of yoga, spa, wakeboarding, volley ball, we got onto a yacht captained by Oly (who hid away as much as possible). We sailed into the bay and watched the sun go down with champagne. Paddy then organised the yacht to drop us off at the pontoon where we had a candle light dinner on our own. It was quite simply perfect and all thanks to the attentive Neilson staff.

On our non-inclusive nights we went out to Marmaris where you have two options - go to Demiz at one end or go to the harbour. Without a shadow of doubt, unless you like night clubs and drinking in the Red Devil Bar situated next to the Anfield bar, then the harbour is the nicer part of Marmaris. With that said though, we did go to a great reataurant Ahmet showed us and on another night stumbled across a restaurant where you eat in the middle of the sea on a pontoon caled Moon - read my review for that.

In the harbour we accidentally found a fantastic Turkish restaurant called the Golden Plate (once again read my review). You can also see the castle and some amazing yachts. If you buy any pottery along the walk there is a shop along the way to the harbour from the drop off point run by Gino and he loves a good haggle! Don't be shy to start very low because the pottery we came home with is stunning so well worth the challenge.

Considering all of the spa treatments and activities on offer; the Neilson model is amazing. Yes I spent a lot on drinks, but thats because everything else is free and to get their and eat/stay was so cheap.

Some of the things that come through from my holiday are the relaxed approach to everything. There are beach towels and kettles provided at no extra cost, there is fresh orange juice on tap every morning (once again no charge), there is a greater service standard (in my opinion) from the Turkish staff and they work so incredibly hard with a smile on their face.

I have no issue in recommending this as my favourite Neilson resort to date. Thank you so much and see you again very soon!

Room tip: 130 - so close to the pool and a huge room
1  Thank andyboastandy
Reviewed 22 September 2015

I had a really fantastic time last week on my first Neilson holiday in Adakoy. In terms of setting and beauty I think you'd be hard pushed to go to a nicer place with Neilson. I loved the final part of the airport transfer, which is a 20 minute boat ride from Marmaris. (Although on the transfer home we turned slowly in the boat at least 3 times before we got set off and the journey took twice as long!)

I got the Heathrow flight, which is the last to arrive in to Dalaman so you don't get to the resort til after 10pm. It's a bit disorientating arriving in the dark off the boat but lovely to wake up the next day and find out what it looks like. My room (116) was upstairs and really nice, with a second small bedroom which I didn't need but was useful for hanging washing. On my booking it said I had balcony or terrace but I didn't have either direct from my room - I asked at reception and was told I shared the terrace downstairs. This meant I didn't use it and it had been a bit misleading - it should say 'shared terrace' on the bookings so everyone knows they are shared.

I could go on and on about the entire holiday but I'll break it down in to good and bad:
Good points. Firstly, the food - it was over and above what I expected. Really varied and delicious and far more puddings than necessary! The choice of activities was excellent and I also loved being able to take out a canoe or paddle board whenever I felt like it. My room overlooked the pool and was really peaceful - good double glazing on windows so even when music was playing by the pool it didn't bother me. Social tables was great - I travelled alone and always had people to sit with and there was a good mix of singles, couples and families on the table. I met some really nice people and would be happy travelling on my own again - there seems to a really nice atmosphere and ethos amongst everyone.

Bad points. the wasps! I'm fairly sure we must have had a particularly waspy week and this time of year is worse than usual, but they really bothered me and did spoil some time of my trip. They did bombard me more than most and I was stung twice. The staff have put traps up but that doesn't mean there aren't still hundreds around, especially during breakfast and by the pool and beach all day. Sunbathing was not relaxing. Jungle repellent did help though. Sunloungers are tired too. But main issue with them is that so many people put towels down for hours and go off to do activities - really selfish, it needs to be policed better. On the first day I literally couldn't find a lounger. Tennis courts need refurbing and rackets and balls updating - end of season but still expected better. There is a dreadful smell of sewage from the land beside the tennis courts - makes being there really unpleasant. I did tennis every day but was disappointed I was always on a session later in morning so it was very hot. I'd have prefered to alternate each session so you all had early ones too. And the tennis timetable meant I missed a lot of good stuff on the timetable in the mornings. Also, when we did social tennis or stayed on to play after, it meant we had a really rushed dinner as it finished at 9. I wanted to say all of this on the feedback form you are given at the end but you only get 3 lines so couldn't squeeze much in!

I'm definitely going to do another Neilson. I should visit other resorts first but I'm sure I'll return to Adakoy, just not in wasp season.

Room tip: I would choose downstairs room with terrace overlooking pool and sea. Or upstairs with a definite balcony!
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Salsa924
Reviewed 22 September 2015

My partner and I booked Neilson Adokoy Beach Club. I had never been on a Neilson holiday and was looking for something other than just beach.
Neilson provides an experience that will suit anyone from the meanest sports fanatics to the less active but wanting to give it a go. There really is something for anyone and everyone at Neilsons.
We really enjoyed our stay, we took part in Dingy sailing, stand up paddle boarding, tennis, mountain biking, walking, fitness classes and of course some relaxation time.
The standard of instruction was excellent and standard of equipment also was excellent.
The food was outstanding and hard to not go up for seconds! Lots of choice, fresh and very good quality.
The only area that slightly let the holiday down was the room. It looked tired and in need of a good refurb, however this did not spoil the holiday as we spent little time in our room. We will be back next year.

Room tip: None of the rooms have WIFI, this is available by the pool and restaurant only. good size balconies on many.
Reviewed 19 September 2015

The opening page of the Neilson brochure for the Adakoy resort reads "arriving on paradise island by boat" however this was not the case for us. First off this is not an island in the sense that you need a boat or a bridge to get to it, it has a road which links it to the mainland and we did not arrive by boat, we arrived by minibus! Misleading to say the least and a very disappointing start to our holiday.

This was our 6th Neilson holiday and we have previously travelled with Sunsail, Mark Warner, Crystal Active and Seafarer and this was one of the worst activity holiday we have been on. From arrival at the airport, problems started to arise with no English speaking Neilson Rep to greet us and instead we were met by a scruffy Turkish lad who could barely speak English and who initially sent us to the wrong transfer bus and who later in the week I saw pushing a wheel barrow around the resort????? We had no rep on the bus with us, the air con on the transfer bus barely worked and we ended up travelling along a very uncomfortable mountain track to our hotel.

Unfortunately, upon arrival things did not get better either. We had no member of the management team to greet us as we had experienced on every other Neilson or activity holiday we had been on, no staff to remove and assist with our baggage from the transfer bus and no welcome drink or snack as we had received on every other Neilson holiday we had been on when we arrived just after lunch. Instead we were simply given a room key and pointed in a general direction by the very unhelpful Turkish hotel reception staff. Eventually we found our room and after negotiating a very steep and narrow fight of stairs with no assistance we opened our door to find the scruffiest hotel room I have stayed in for twenty years, forget three stars, I wouldn't have given it one star. I immediately returned to reception to complain, but in the absence of any form of management or an English member of staff my complaint was simply dismissed as "sorry we are full and have no more rooms" I did ask to speak to the General Manager but I was advised he was off until Next week.

We eventually met the Neilson Customer Relations Manager but not until 11am the following day and although he tried to solve our issues, the damage was done!

So what are the positives about Adakoy, the food is excellent and although the resort is some what isolated, it is very idyllic and picturesque. But that's where it ends for me I'm afraid. There was no wind until 3pm everyday, there are massive hills in and out of the resort, the resort is very tired and needs some major investment. The beach staff look as though they are all auditioning for a role in Robinson Crusoe, they are scruffy, dirty and unshaven and I am amazed that Neilson are allowing ambassadors for their company to portray this image!

Room tip: Ask for a pool view
4  Thank RWKW
Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

What an amazing family fortnight. Our first time at Adakoy but our 5th Neilson holiday. This was our first peak season holiday though so we expected it to be very different.

So, the best bits:
The weather - reliably flat waterskiing all morning and good wind every afternoon for sailing.
The kit: Plenty of boats, kayaks, paddle boards etc - didn't have to wait for equipment all week.
The staff: somehow Neilson seem to instill a positive, helpful and friendly atmosphere in all their staff. Special shouts to Iain (kayaks), Lauren (swimming) and Mark (ski) for going beyond expectations.
The family focus: we love the way Neilson understand the priority of family - our kids went into kids clubs when they wanted and came and dos activities with us when they wanted. Being able to sign them in and out means we had lots of together time and some adult time. A perfect balance.

The frustrations:
The location - this is just stunning. It feels safe and is wonderful, we loved it. But it is a boat ride away from anything else. Most Neilson resorts are a walk away from a small town. Adakoy is a boat trip. That in itself isn't an issue, we love boats but it's quite expensive. With 4 of us it was nigh on £70 to go into marmaris for the evening.
The kids clubs - despite being a highlight the kids clubs were also a frustration. In our second week there were 25 children in sharksters (school years 4-6) which was more like crowd control than fun. The staff struggled to control that number so lots of kids stopped going. We feel it should have been split into 2 groups as our son was very clear he hadn't come on holiday to be shouted at!

In summary though the Neilson formula works. We did masses of activities and relaxed more than we have for a very long time.
Thank you Neilson. Now please find somewhere to put a winter resort!

Date of stay: August 2015