See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I asked for “a good deal” price for 3 nights (single room) at this hotel, and the front desk offered me 45 lira/ night, cash payment. Compared to the other hotels, it was a good price, but I later realized that you get what you pay for. The room was very small, but it didn’t bother me much. However, I object to the following: there was an ashtray with cigarette butts left behind in the window when I arrived to my room. (I quickly put the ashtray with its junk in the corridor, as I am a non-smoker.) There was daily cleaning of my room, but apparently this “cleaning” did not include to empty the wastebasket in the bathroom, which was left with garbage until I checked out. There were no hooks for towels in the bathroom. The lavatory pan was strangely placed very close to the wall – any guest using it would have to sit askew. The pillow case had stains. At each breakfast plates were missing and I had to search for staff as noone was in the breakfast room. The staff who sat in the lobby during nights was apparently chain smokers because the cigarette smoke spread through the lobby/stairs into my room, making my sleep uncomfortable. The owner of this hotel has spent a lot of money on the interior of the hotel lobby with an aquarium with large fishes, white leather sofas, a small pond with turtles, a screeching parrot , paintings and artwork on every wall and corner in the hotel, a dashing entrance front desk, and a tasteless decorated breakfast room that looked more like a wedding hall. The owner has unfortunately not made the same investment in all of the guests’ rooms. I peeked into a double room (door was wide opened) where the bathroom had only one tap for cold water, but no hot water tap. Luckily I had both warm water and cold water tap in my bathroom. And dear owner: to place some fancy textile and a pillow in glittery fabric on the bed, provides no standard raise. This is more of a two star hotel. But it was good they had wifi in the hotel. At my departure I concluded that this hotel probably offers different prices for different rooms. The hotel has at least two sections or annexes, the other which I only walked through once when looking for my room. It must have been in the other section that the finer rooms (and bathrooms) are placed – seen in the photos on the hotel’s website. So I got what I paid for (the cheaper room with low standard). I have stayed in both charmful and well designed hotels in Turkey, but this hotel gets the label "funny-looking" and "confusing standard". The only credit I want to give is to the male receptionist at the front desk when I checked in - he spoke excellent English and treated me warmly and friendly. However when I checked out and stood for a moment in the lobby, I overheard him speaking on the phone and that he offered a room for (what it sounded like) 30 lira/ night to a guest. What? Say again? Anyways, I will not return again to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Oden52
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I am not going to give too much detail, but to say this.

Nothing in the room was operational; Hot water, AC, Toilet door, TV, WiFi etc.

There were cockroaches in the bathroom.

The staff were hideous. I stayed 2 nights receiving a total of 3 hours sleep due to a staff member in high heels on a marble floor walking by the lower floor rooms from 1am to 5am every 10 minutes, 2 nights in a row. I can't even explain why to you?

I do not like to provide negative reviews, however when this is the worst hotel I have experienced in more than 150 on 5 continents. I feel it important to provide fellow traveler's with a head's up.

To top it off the desk attendant told me it was 50TL for the airport shuttle, when the day prior I was quoted 40TL, upon learning this he begrudgingly said ok.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Choose any other hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 255103Traveller
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked through EBOOKERS here .Arrive at 11 pm to find NO ROOMS though they recvd booking .They made me wait for 2 hours and then took me to the dingiest and cheapest hotel I have seen .It was a 70 sq ft jail .I had to sleep here that night and then come to Vatan for 2nd night stay .Again they made me wait for 2 hours before I got the room .Useless food and un clean rooms .Bloody frauds these guys

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank rajaraman p
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Izmir seemed to be lacking in hostels, and actual "hotels" are - in my mind - expensive places I can rarely afford to stay. This was not the case with Vatan, which gave us moderately clean rooms, WiFi which was usable in the common areas near reception but not in the room, and hot water which eventually worked after changing rooms and waiting for while. Breakfast was nice, staff pretty friendly, and location is good.

Room Tip: The nearer you are to the reception desk, the greater chance that WiFi will actually work in your room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scortchcjr110
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We checked out other hotels in this area as recommended by lonely planet. We found the other hotels to be over our budget. We passed by Vatan hotel and the receptionist was friendly and helpful. We decided to stay here because of the clean building/room, hot water, working heater and best of all it was within our budget.
Contrary to what another reviewer wrote, we received our 5am morning call.
We also went to local restaurants in this area - delicious and affordable with a local flare (instead of tourist restaurants). We felt safe in the area and to our surprise, the businesses are open till late at night.
We would highly recommend Vatan hotel to our friends and families... and would certainly stay here again.

Saeed & Brigitte