All reviews turkey basmane station excellent hotel double bed clean rooms bazaar tl
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

From where it was on the map, the hotel seemed to be in a good location. It was close to a metro station, surrounded by numerous restaurants, and had easy access to major roads. However, parking was horrible. It was just a gravel lot across from the back of the hotel. Even though they list free parking, it is nearly impossible to reach it at certain times of the day. Hotel staff provided little help in navigating the one way streets, numerous barricades and daily afternoon closures that prevented me from getting to the parking lot. Although they had easily accessible underground parking at the front of the hotel, it was not offered to us and we only saw the nice cars coming out from that garage.

The hotel seemed to cater primarily to Turkish people. Like most of the country, English signage was sorely lacking and only a few of the hotel staff spoke passable English. They weren't rude or anything like that. They just weren't very helpful because of the language barrier. The hotel lobby was cool and comfortable, but the decor was a mix of Italian art gallery meets My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Gaudy and random would be an understatement.

Our top floor room had window with a wonderful view of the wall of the parking garage next door. I'm not sure why they stuck us on the top floor, even though they didn't seem full, but it was the hottest floor in the hotel. Each day we returned from a scorching hot day in the sun to a sauna of a room. The AC did work, but took time to cool off the room. Perhaps it's because the hallways weren't air conditioned and neither was the elevator. Oh, that reminds me; there's no elevator to the sixth floor. It seemed like the sixth floor was an afterthought. We had to take the elevator to the fifth floor and walk up a circular stairway to the sixth. Did I mention it was really hot in the hallways and stairways?!

Our room was clean, but cigarette smoke smells lingered, despite no smoking signs throughout. The bed was okay, but there was no top sheet and no extra blankets. The solitary scratchy blanket provided barely covered the top of the bed. With two people underneath, it wasn't even enough to cover us both. I'd wake up in the middle of the night half uncovered and cold. There was a constantly leaking toilet with noisy plumbing. Each time the tank refilled about every two minutes, the valve squealed loudly like an injured cat, especially late at night. The room had a safe, but didn't work and was never fixed despite asking the staff at reception to come fix it. On the plus side, it had nice painted ceilings that resembled a sky. Which is good because the ceilings were barely two meters high. Tall people beware.

Housekeeping was intermittent. If we didn't leave our room until after 12 noon, our room wouldn't get serviced. No daily water, no fresh towels. Other days, we would get extra towels and toiletries, as if to make up for the missed day.

Internet was sporadic and unreliable. Sometimes it would connect, but there was no connection beyond the hotel. Many times, I ended up using my cellular data, because it was faster.

Breakfast was somewhat lacking, but great if you love 12 varieties of olives, 10 salty cheeses, 10 kinds of bread, and very little of any western breakfast food. Everything was self serve buffet style, so I could eat as much as I wanted of the food I didn't really care for. At least the coffee and tea were good and plentiful.

On the other hand, the hotel restaurant had really good dinner meals and served late into the evening. Service was exceptional. Great grilled items and very good manti, making it one of the few redeeming qualities of this hotel.

I'm not sure what makes this hotel boutique, but it wasn't expensive, and the accommodations reflected that. Altogether, it makes this place just average. I'm sure there are much nicer places to stay in Izmir and perhaps that's why I was able to get a last minute 5-day booking.

Stayed: August 2016
OGLAKCIOGLUPARKHOTEL, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Oglakcioglu Park Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

Dear Eric H.,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words following your recent stay with us.
Best Regards, Zeliha

Reviewed 14 July 2016

Everything you need from a hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The aircon wasn't working well in our first room and immediately they switched us to an upgraded room. The wifi worked very well. The included buffet breakfast was delicious and there was a lot of variety. Great place to stay in Izmir.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family

Dear Tomorrowsart,

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at our property. We appreciate your positive feedback and are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope we will welcome you here at Oglakcioglu Park Boutique Hotel on your future trips to Izmir.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

If you don't like the big hotel factories, this is a good alternative in Izmir. We stayed just one night. The room wasn't a bit small and basic if you want a longer stay, but fine for one night. The location was convenient for us - close to the first big roundabout and easy to find by car. Breakfast was excellent and the staff helped us out with some items - since our luggage did not arrive with us...

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
OGLAKCIOGLUPARKHOTEL, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Oglakcioglu Park Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2016

Dear Guest Jorgen Bo N,

Reviewed 6 July 2016

This is the 4th time I stay at he O. Park Boutique Hotel. It is a gem in the beautiful city on the Aegean! It's near shopping, restaurants, the metro, the Fuar (for sports activities), and the Basmane Train Station for side trips outside Izmir. The rooms are a comfortable size, as well as the bathrooms, and the AC is strong. The breakfast has a vast variety of items and the staff is friendly.

Room Tip: There's great night life in Alsancak (a short walk from the hotel). Make sure not to miss it.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo

Dear Jesga,

We are waiting for your next stay in Izmir.

Warm Regards,

Zeliha OGLAKCIOGLU
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 15 June 2016

This was my second time staying at Oglakcioglu Hotel and I was as pleased with it as before. This time I was staying with my mother and son and we had a lovely 3 bedroom suite. It overlooked a sort of courtyard with no outside window but had good air conditioning and was comfy and clean. It was perfectly adequate for a one night stay. My son and I arrived first, early in the evening, The porter parked my car for me and we were shown to room 204. I thought the air con was noisy but then realised that the room was actually shaking. Not an earthquake but the fans from the kitchens below. I spoke to reception and they immediately offered us a new room but since we were going out almost immediately and they assured us the fans would be turned off shortly, I decided not to bother. They were very helpful, very apologetic and considerate. When we got back late after picking up my mother from the airport all was quiet and we had a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, at 8am the fans from the kitchens below started at full blast! But it didn't matter to us as we wanted to get up quite early anyway. Breakfast was good, lots of it but no decent coffee, just an instant machine which was undrinkable but lots of lovely hot Turkish tea instead. I would stay again but just for a night. I would definitely avoid room 204 if I wanted a lie in though!

Room Tip: Not room 204 or any above the kitchen fan!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Dear SarahAssos ,

We are sorry but the noise was coming from outside, side of the building not from kitchen.

We are waiting for your third stay. Thank you.