See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 January 2016

This hotel is in the best location in the area as its right next to the marina which is beautiful with a French feel to it ...the staff are very welcoming ,accommodating and friendly,eager to please and make your stay the most enjoyable as possible .the rooms are very clean and comfortable but some would say dated ..I say retro :)..I am here inspite of advice from embassy not to travel to this country !! So far our stay has been a most enjoyable ,will always return to this hotel while visiting Tunisa ..

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen8007
olfa c, Responsable réception at El Hana Hannibal Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2016

Dear Guest's

It is always a pleasure to recieve complimentary reviews like yours . We really appreciate the time and efforts you have taken to share this opinion of your holiday with us at the Hannibal Palace hotel.

We thank you for your very kind words about the hotel location, the staff and rooms.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 11 January 2016

Since my last visit to the hannibal palace (march 2015) I have noticed a considerable change, there is a night club built on to the side of the main entrance, the club opens about 8pm and goes on till the early hours of the morning, usually around 4am, 7 days a week, the music is very loud and is non stop, there is also a club within the hotel and once again the music is very loud and goes on till the same time as the club outside, so unless you are a very very heavy sleeper, bring your ear plugs, there is also something that seems to frequent more and more hotels throughout Tunisia, and that is the problem of prostitution, it is 2.30am and I am sitting in the main reception, in the time I have been sitting here, approx 45mins, I have had three women approach me (on separate occasions) and asked me if I wanted business, not the sort of hotel to bring your children to, but saying that the owners son and daughter in law live in the hotel and two or three times a week the daughter in law has friends for coffee in the hotel reception, as well as the friends children, so you have 10 or 12 unsupervised children running wild in the hotel.
Since the shootings on the beach at port el kantaoui there are very few tourists in tunisia, in this hotel there are 6 tourists and about 12 tunisians,
The reception area is very cold, due to the main doors being wide open all day and half the night, something to do with the woman that owns it, she likes to have fresh air in the building even though the residents of the hotel are freezing, the same goes for the hotel rooms, the heating is not put on till the new year, and believe me it gets very cold in December, so god knows what it is like in January.
I have found cockroaches in the bedroom, and when I complain I am told that I must have food in the room, I don’t have food in the room and I am on the sixth floor, what did they do take the lift ?????????
There are several cats in the hotel, some asleep in the chairs in the reception area, and you also find them on the chairs in the dining room, more than once I have found cheese on the floor, usually breakfast time, where the cats have got on to the servery and have pulled the cheese out of the dish and knocked it onto the floor
The wifi is virtually non existent, it comes and goes, sometimes it can go off for a day or more, so I would find a more reliable source if you need it for skype, etc.
The t.v in the room is mostly Arabic, French, and german, the picture is very fuzzy, I tried to tune it in several times, but to no avail, I am told the dish needs realigning, but they still not done it two weeks later.
The beach has now become covered in seaweed, and in some places up to three feet thick. No one bothers to maintain the beach anymore, there are tin cans and plastic water bottles mixed in with the weed, in the marina there is a lot of rubbish floating on or under the water, a lot of the shops have now closed down due to the lack of tourists, and some of the foreign boat owners have moved their boats to safer havens.
The good points about this hotel are the food, always different, cooked and hot, the bedrooms are very clean and made up every day, in fact the whole hotel is clean, and nothing is too much trouble for the cleaners, if you want towels, sheets, then they will go out of their way to sort things for you, the only drawbacks are the clubs, prostitutes, dirty beach, and the heating (lack of) the standards in this hotel have slipped considerably. I will not be returning to this hotel as I feel that it is no longer a hotel but just one big club, and prostitution is more common here than anywhere else in kantaoui.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank gomez57

Dear Guest's

Thank you for taking the time to write your reviews about the Hannibal Palace hotel.

We have taken good notes about your remarks and have passed them to the hotel direction for information and further revision and we apologize for any inconviniences in our service.

Also we thank you for pointing out the good food and the cleanliness of our rooms.

We do appreciate your comments as they can help us to improve our services.

Best Regards

Reviewed 15 July 2015

Having read through a number of reviews of this hotel prior to travelling we were both pleasantly surprised by what we found and experienced. Although the hotel is somewhat dated in its fixtures and fittings the attitude, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff certainly made up for this.

The reception team were amazing in assisting us with phone calls etc as we attempted to make arrangements to return home following the recent UK Governments decision that all UK citizens should return from Tunisia. When numbers we had were not working they managed to obtain alternatives for us to use and even managed to keep call costs down for us.

The room was clean, well presented and comfortable with fabulous views over the Med, pools, garden and marina. Our only issue was with the air-conditioning, it simply was not very good. On reporting the issue maintenance staff were there within minutes.

Deposits are paid to reception for both the TV remote control and access to a safe deposit box (which is housed in the reception area). Free wi-fi is available in the reception area.

Due to low number of guests staying only the main buffet restaurant was open. Food was plentiful, but a little repetitive. However, there were at least 5 hot choices at dinner whilst at breakfast in addition to a very reasonable buffet pancakes and omelettes were available to order, Outside set mealtimes a small range of hot and cold light meals / snacks were available from both the hotel bar and pool bar. We must make special mention of the restaurant waiters and pool bar man - they were all very friendly, helpful and concerned about our comfort and enjoyment during our stay. A new tapas bar / night is currently being developed, something that presumably will open as and when guest capacity increases.

The hotel beach was well laid out with sunbeds, sun shades and was clean. However, the beach bar is not operated by the hotel, but does offer a range of light meals, drinks and excellent views out to sea - especially pleasant at sunset. The main and children's swimming pools are set within the hotels extensive gardens. Both pools were cleaned regularly and appeared well maintained. Sun beds are free, but if you want a cushion these are available for a few dinars per day - take your own beach towel.

There are a range of shops and restaurants all within a few minutes walk from the hotel. We can recommend a walk around the marina which is accessible from the hotels extensive grounds and a trip around the Hannibal Park theme park / funfair which is a short stroll from the hotel (no guarantees about safety standards etc). Regular entertainment is available in the evenings both at the beach bar and around the marina. The hotel does have its own animation team who provided a regular schedule of activities (activities tailored to the number of guests in attendance). during the day and evening.

Massages and a range of beauty / health treatments are available in the hotel spa complex at reasonable prices i.e. about £11 for a 25 / 30 min back and neck massage..

All in all a very enjoyable stay marred by having to cut our holiday short.

Room Tip: Ask for a direct sea view
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jd2412
Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

We took our holiday from 5th-19th June, weather was amazing, hotel quiet as was the area in general. Perfect for us as we wanted to relax. We chose the half-board option.

Hotel is really nice. Room big, comfy beds, plenty of cupboard space; for clothes, cases etc; TV, fridge, air con, en suite. Room clean, daily maid service for which we tipped almost daily, two dinar each time.

Restaurant lovely, a help yourself buffet, we enjoyed the food as we like to try different things. The menu is very traditional so if you're a fussy eater or have children not willing to try food that's maybe out of their comfort zone; you could struggle a little at evening meal time. Very clean restaurant with lovely staff constantly keeping everything nice. You just pay for drinks at the table with your evening meal, big bottle of cold still water, three dinar (£1). We usually left four or five dinar each night, the tips are shared amongst the staff.

The pool was clean as is pool area. It was really quiet at the hotel when we were there so always sun loungers available, mattresses an optional extra, two dinar (about 67p). The animation team keep the music playing and judge the atmosphere really well with their music choices. Lovely fellas. Don't expect much in the way of evening entertainment, didn't bother us as we were in bed by 9:30-10:00!!

Free WiFi available in the reception area.

Beach literally a stones throw from the pool just through the surrounding palm trees. Golden sand, clear; warm ocean, good for snorkeling.

Change your money at the hotel reception, it's the same rate as the bank give or take 1p and better than a tourist money exchange shop.

Safety deposit boxes available, thirty dinar for two weeks, ten quid!!

Meet with your holiday rep. We booked our two day desert safari with him which I absolutely recommend, not with children though, it's a long coach trip!!

We would definately go back to this hotel if we return to this area.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kiibz
Reviewed 19 June 2015 via mobile

This has to be the best hotel I've ever stayed in! The hotel was great, and a very lovely polite environment. The food was good and catered for everybody. The staff made the hotel as incredible as it was, especially the Joker who was responsible for the rest of the animation team, He was such a hard worker! He made sure all the guest were happy and nothing was ever too much to ask. Every night they never failed to put on an awesome show.
10/10 for the animation team!!
I will definitely be returning this year!

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends